NO. 6 AUBURN MEN'S GOLF T-3RD AFTER SEC CHAMPIONSHIP 1ST ROUND

augolf1716

Good start

SEA ISLAND, Ga. -- The sixth-ranked Auburn men's golf team is tied for third at 5-under 275 after the SEC Championship first round at Sea Island Golf Club on Friday. Tiger freshman Ben Schlottman is tied for fifth with a 3-under 67.

Schlottman, who is two shots off the lead, had four birdies on Nos. 3, 7, 8 and 15, and carded his seventh round in the 60s for the year. Senior Dan Stringfellow is tied for 11th at 2-under 68 while sophomore Ryan Benton is tied for 15th at 1-under 69.

All-SEC sophomore Matt Gilchrest is tied for 34th at 1-over 71 and junior Michael Johnson is tied for 39th at 2-over 72.

The Tigers played the back nine at 5-under par after making the turn even. Benton was 3-under on his inward nine as he birdied Nos. 10, 11 and 15.

"I am happy with the way we played the back nine and that kept us in position to make a run to win the golf tournament," said Auburn head coach Nick Clinard. "Ben played great golf, and Ryan had a superb back nine to really help us out."

No. 21 Alabama leads with an 11-under 69 followed by No. 9 LSU (274), Auburn (275), No. 8 South Carolina (275), No. 4 Vanderbilt (276), Arkansas (279), Florida (282), Georgia (282), Tennessee (284) and Kentucky (284).

Texas A&M (286) is 11th followed by Missouri (287), Ole Miss (288) and Mississippi State (289). South Carolina's Matthew NeSmith, Arkansas' Kolton Crawford and Alabama's Robby Shelton are tied for the individual lead at 5-under 65.

Auburn will tee off in Saturday's second round with Alabama and LSU at 8:10 am CT. Live-scoring for the tournament can be found on www.golfstat.com. For the most up to date information, follow on Twitter @AUMensGolf or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AUMensGolf.

:dunno:

Auburn finished tied for fourth with the turds. Overall not bad but they could have played better. I know three of our guys did not have their game going well. Still a good tourney all in all

I just found those scores funny :)

I just found those scores funny :)

My god I didn't even look at the scores. Your right.......... man those are high especially considering its after 2 rounds I assume. +65 leads and I would have thought Richmond would be better. I understand the Navy I knew the golf coach for the men before he retired. Any able body can play for them. Thanks for telling me.

Edit: Ok had to look this up its the women's score still those are unbelievably high numbers Holy Cross at +288 means a lot of score over 100.

Here is the write up from their site.

• The Lead: The Holy Cross women's golf team finished in sixth place out of six teams at the Patriot League Championship on Saturday and Sunday, April 18-19 at the Par-72 U.S. Naval Academy Golf Club. The Crusaders finished the 54-hole tournament with a total team score of 1,152 strokes (+288), as Boston University won the Patriot League Championship with a combined score of 929 strokes (+65).

HOW IT HAPPENED:

• The Crusaders were led by freshman Maxine Harney (Medford, Mass.) who placed in 29th with a three-round total score of 275 (+59). Junior Lydia Deneen (Hubbardston, Mass.) finished in 31st place with a total score of 285 (+69), as classmate Marisa Cameron (Garden City, N.Y.) came in 32nd with a 288 (+72).
  • Holy Cross senior Meaghan Sullivan (Brockton, Mass.) and junior Claire McMahon (Buffalo, N.Y.) finished in 33rd and 34th place, respectively, with scores of 304 (+88) and 328 (+112) Hope she enjoyed the exercise

Archived