Postgame A Day

tigerbrotha12

Pretty good overall. Myron Burton is going to be quite a player in this offense. Roc did very well too. Was impressed with defense except for a few secondary miscues but other than that, looking good!

Overall Johnson looked totally in control of the offense. I loved that calm demeanor that he showed. Loved seeing our HB's in the passing game. Beautiful catch by Cox. That wheel route will be deadly this season. Loved watching Roc run. Tray Matthews in the secondary is definitely what we need. Myron Burton was refreshing to see. Imagine what this team will look like once we get people healthy!

Burton was the surprise to me. He was a 3 star out of his HS. He is a legacy......this and he balled it on his first Aday. This is great news for us. Burton may have been a steal.

How did Jovon do?

2 carries for 8 yards.

Haven't had a chance to see the game yet. Was Coach Malzahn sandbagging with Robinson? Or did he just want to see Roc and Peyton more?

Myron Burton led the receivers with seven catches for 95 yards. Roc Thomas led the running backs with 62 yards on only four carries. Peyton Barber had nine carries for 47 yards. Jovon Robinson had six carries for 19 yards.

How did Jovon do?

2 carries for 8 yards.

Haven't had a chance to see the game yet. Was Coach Malzahn sandbagging with Robinson? Or did he just want to see Roc and Peyton more?

Most common response to Robinson and lack of carries is that he hasn't had enough time to learn the playbook.

How did Jovon do?

2 carries for 8 yards.

Most common response to Robinson and lack of carries is that he hasn't had enough time to learn the playbook.

Tre Mason saw very limited action in the 2013 A-Day game. I wouldn't base too much off of how much he played during a spring game.

As expected, first half was about all the real action played. If I got my stats right, we threw 41 passes and ran 19 times (or close to that) in the first half. I think Gus wanted to work on the passing game as he was comfortable with the run game and the three guys running it. No clear starter for RB although it appeared tome that Barber and Robinson were the more inside guys and Roc a good combo of inside and outside running. Plenty of options at receiver as well and glad to see them spread it around.

I am surprised on the lack of Defensive comments, I know it is Spring but you should be able to tell something

Has it been reported what the attendance figures were? The news reports only said that SPUAT had their lowest total of 65K+ and nothing was said about ours.

How did Jovon do?

2 carries for 8 yards.

He got 1 less carry than Roc...

And the same amount as Barber...

I was glad that Jovon was held back to some degree. Dude runs with bad intentions! Somebody was going to get hurt before long.

I like the idea of Jovon starting. He will make the D prepare to be run over. Then bring in Roc when they are on their heels from getting pounded by Jovon, Roc can take advantage IMO.

Has it been reported what the attendance figures were? The news reports only said that SPUAT had their lowest total of 65K+ and nothing was said about ours.

65k= at UAT?!?!?! No way. For those of us watching the whip-around at home, their stadium looked empty compared to Jordan-Hare.

Yes, but doesn't their stadium hold like 100k+ ? 65k would be just over half full... where 65k at our stadium would make it looked filled out.

How did Jovon do?

2 carries for 8 yards.

He got 1 less carry than Roc...

And the same amount as Barber...

Just repeating the most common excuse. I didn't watch the game(work), nor have I looked at the whole stat sheet.

My observations (via the stands).

Offense

1. Passing game: Gonna be fun!! Of course we all know what JJ is capable of. But man, we have weapons at receivers. Biggest surprise? Definitely Myron Burton!! That dude is a receiver! Sean White needs a little more time, but as good as I believed he would be. Tyler Queen looked great for a true freshman.

2. Running Game: Roc showed out!! Definitely has improved. Peyton Barber has some good runs as well. Did not see much out of Jovon, but would not read much into this.

3. Offensive Line: Looked solid. Great protection for the QBs.

4. H-Back: Going to be a big surprise here. Chandler Cox has great hands!

Defense

1. D-Line and Pressure: They were flying to the ball and in the backfield, even without Lawson.

2. Gang tackling: This was the biggest surprise of all. First hit was accompanied by a gang of three or more.

3. D-Backs and coverage: It was tight.. Only a couple of times receivers could break free. Most of the time, the receivers just made fantastic catches.

4. Even without key starters the defense still looked good. Light years ahead of last year.

5. Limit scoring opportunities: Lowest A-Day offensive score in Gus's era. Part of that was due to JJ and White not in second half, but defense did have several key stops.

6. Enthusiasm on Defense: Off the charts better.

Special Teams

Lowest Point: Punting.. We need someone to step up here. Accuracy is an issue here. Lots of out of bounds punts, without any pressure, free punts.

Field Goal Attempts/Make: No issues here. Daniel Carlson has a huge leg. 50 yard FG, no issues.

No kickoffs or live punts.

Yes, but doesn't their stadium hold like 100k+ ? 65k would be just over half full... where 65k at our stadium would make it looked filled out.

On TV, it looked to me like everything besides our upper decks were basically filled. It looked like their lower decks were about half filled.

65k= at UAT?!?!?! No way. For those of us watching the whip-around at home, their stadium looked empty compared to Jordan-Hare.

Not sure how they count attendance. Sure ours was based upon tickets.

But agree, 65K is a little over half of their stadium capacity.

Archived