JUCO PF Alex Hicks chooses AU!

RunInRed

Bruce Pearl added another piece to the puzzle on Monday.

Alex Hicks, a 6-foot-8 power forward from Walters State Community College in Tennessee, verbally committed to Auburn, according to multiple reports. He visited the school's campus this past weekend.

"It's a great university, they have a great program, good coaching staff and it's my dream school since I started playing basketball," Hicks told JucoReport.com. "Most of all, it's home."

Hicks averaged 15.1 points and 7.6 rebounds per game last season. The Seale, Ala. native played his high school basketball at Glenwood High School. Hicks will have three years of eligibility remaining once he arrives on campus.

Hicks joins an Auburn recruiting class that is currently ranked No. 16 in the country, according to 247Composite. Other members of the class are Horace Spencer, Danjel Purifoy, T.J. Dunans, New Williams and Bryce Brown.

http://www.al.com/sp...college_po.html

CDDdDItW0AAnqaj.jpg

Did not seem to be too much in demand after HS nor after his first season in JUCO....but nice to get some depth. Hope he is willing to stay around and develop over the next few years.

Not being critical of this kid because I expect he will do his best....but I would have preferred that we still had Atewe since he had experience with the team. I really worry that will will be picking up guys like Hicks to fill an immediate opening with no intent that he will make a "difference' in the team.

Unless everyone in the world except BP has missed on this guy, he is likely to be a minor role player for a year until BP finds someone better to take his place.

It's hard to project who will be starting this season and even harder to figure out who will be on the roster for the 2016 season. This one and done business...whether it involves 5* players or 2* players drives me nuts.

He's a walkon so I don't think he takes anyone's spot. At worst he is a tall body for practice. At best he makes a difference.

Didn't notice that in the OP....seems it was treated like a "commitment" ...but maybe not....and I guess if another school comes through with a real offer he could still go elsewhere.

I still can't get past the line about us being his "dream" school. Great, I guess. :)

His home is 20 miles away from Auburn, in Seale, Al. He grew up hearing AU sports in the media.

Eligible this fall? How many can we bring in? Are any spots left?

Commited to a walk on spot.

Did I miss this info? Where does it say he'll be a walkon?

Eligible this fall? How many can we bring in? Are any spots left?

Commited to a walk on spot.

Did I miss this info? Where does it say he'll be a walkon?

he will be a walkon his first year with a possibility of earning a scholarship after that.

Rivals has him as a 3* and I trust that there is a reason BP wants him. Despite some saying he is just a walk-on I believe he will be a pleasant surprise.

Rivals has him as a 3* and I trust that there is a reason BP wants him. Despite some saying he is just a walk-on I believe he will be a pleasant surprise.

Pretty much he was a 2* to NR.... http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/alex-hicks but seems to have improved. If he is indeed, "walking on", there is pretty much no risk to BP by letting him try out....so why not?

The kid is moving into the cut-throat world of big time Div 1 basketball....hope it works out for him....and for AU.

I'll agree that accepting a walkon is a no-risk situation, but normally we don't see a commitment announcement for a walkon. Is anybody really certain that this guy is not going on scholarship?

I still can't get past the line about us being his "dream" school. Great, I guess. :)/>

His home is 20 miles away from Auburn, in Seale, Al. He grew up hearing AU sports in the media.

Yeah I know, still it's not every day I hear "Auburn basketball" and "dream school" in the same sentence. :).

I'll agree that accepting a walkon is a no-risk situation, but normally we don't see a commitment announcement for a walkon. Is anybody really certain that this guy is not going on scholarship?

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/JUCO-forward-commits-to-walk-on-at-Auburn-36878181

If you look at BP when he was at Tennessee it seemed like he always found a walk-on or two that helped his team. Last year during SEC Playoff's he used a couple who were or had been walk-on players who helped us win a couple of games.

the one thing I see missing from this thread is, welcome aboard, and War Eagle Alex!!! It's a pleasure to have you home. I hope you have a great experience in Auburn, and do well for the team! WDE!

the one thing I see missing from this thread is, welcome aboard, and War Eagle Alex!!! It's a pleasure to have you home. I hope you have a great experience in Auburn, and do well for the team! WDE!

Good point...some of us got wrapped up in the details....and forgot about the kid who is probably tickled to death to get whatever offer he got.....and to have a chance to play SEC basketball. Hoping for the best for him.

Archived