CB Joseph Turner no longer with the team

Maverick.AU

What's the deal with Joe leaving the team? Did he leave on his own, or was Joe booted off the team with no chance of him coming back?

I thought he was a good cornerback.

Muschamp says DB Joe Turner (arrived from the JUCO ranks) hasn't been with the team, and that Coach Malzahn will address that.

sounds like he has been gone for a while....was he even in school this semester? guess we will find out....strange that it did not come up sooner.

He was a contingency plan for Bessent from the jump, ironically neither are with the team just a year after signing.

Turner is the eleventh scholarship player to "attrition out" since August 1st, 2014. Average over the years runs 8 to 11, so we're already at the top of the numbers with 3&1/2 months to go before the start of fall camp, roughly August 1st 2015.

Turner is the eleventh scholarship player to "attrition out" since August 1st, 2014. Average over the years runs 8 to 11, so we're already at the top of the numbers with 3&1/2 months to go before the start of fall camp, roughly August 1st 2015.

Any idea how many of the 11 are/were defensive players? I'm guessing well over half.

Any idea how many of the 11 are/were defensive players? I'm guessing well over half.

Six of the 11 were defensive players. One of those left before the defensive coaching changes, as did one offensive player. Just looking at players that quit for no reason other than to go somewhere else or were rumored to have discipline issues, seven fall into that category and five of those were defensive players.

Six of the 11 were defensive players. One of those left before the defensive coaching changes, as did one offensive player. Just looking at players that quit for no reason other than to go somewhere else or were rumored to have discipline issues, seven fall into that category and five of those were defensive players.

10-4, thanks much.

• 2 weeks later...

I was personally hoping that the title of that article was about Kavarrez Bessent. I personally don't think that Turner is an SEC DB, but I'll let the coaches make that decision.

I was personally hoping that the title of that article was about Kavarrez Bessent. I personally don't think that Turner is an SEC DB, but I'll let the coaches make that decision.

I didn't think Chris Davis was either, but

@JamesCrepea: Still no decision on CB Joe Turner's status with the program. Last week Gus told @bmarcello & others he hoped to know soon.

DTR, Chris Davis?? He was clearly a borderline pro on the edge. Lacked length and wasn't the quickest in change of direction, but he was starting quality for just about any SEC team.

Turner could provide depth. We need quality backups as much as frontline talent at this point, especially at corner.

Maybe. I didn't take it that way because we're discussing a senior CB, not a recruit.

He signed from junior college in 2014. As I understand it, he was a junior last season. Unless he redshirted last year, this would be his final season. It's entirely possible that he redshirted because I don't remember seeing him play last year.

He signed from junior college in 2014. As I understand it, he was a junior last season. Unless he redshirted last year, this would be his final season. It's entirely possible that he redshirted because I don't remember seeing him play last year.

sounds right. i am assuming he did not play at all last year and had two or three seasons of eligibility. in football terms a junior.

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but will Joseph Turner be back with AU team this coming fall.

Archived