Josh Langford is now on UK's hit list

AU64

Don't know if we were ever seriously in the mix for this guy but looking at his offer sheet, it's hard for me to imagine him staying in state.

Looks like Bruce and Avery will be fighting over the ones that the major basketball powers are not interested in.

Josh has always been on the UK hit list. The difference now is with BP we have a chance of getting him even with UK in the picture. Before BP we would not have had a chance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I hate we missed on him but it's tough when going against the giants of the college basketball world. When you see the UK's, Duke's, Michigan States- it's gonna be a tough sell for most programs.

Did not think AU or UAT had a chance but maybe UK or KU or ?

But ...Mich State graduating a lot of starting minutes....good chance for him to break into the line-up early.

The state of Alabama produces enough top talent for both UAT and AU to field very good teams. Somehow, sometime we need to stop the bleeding. When these kids stay home, the home-state schools do very well. When they go off to Ky. or other glamor BB schools, we ain't so hot.

The state of Alabama produces enough top talent for both UAT and AU to field very good teams. Somehow, sometime we need to stop the bleeding. When these kids stay home, the home-state schools do very well. When they go off to Ky. or other glamor BB schools, we ain't so hot.

I guess that's possible but I can't think of the last HS grad from the state that amounted to anything in college or the NBA...well Cousins...but he was not able to qualify as I understand it.

Kids stayed home back in the last century but with increased emphasis on football, it seems to me that BB does not get the best athletes any longer...or else two sport athletes like Johnson opt to play football in college.

JMO but Langford made the right move for him....play on a top team and coach instead being the lone ranger at AU or AUT. Hope that changes soon but I'm just not that optimistic.... :dunno:

I guess that's possible but I can't think of the last HS grad from the state that amounted to anything in college or the NBA...well Cousins...but he was not able to qualify as I understand it.

Kids stayed home back in the last century but with increased emphasis on football, it seems to me that BB does not get the best athletes any longer...or else two sport athletes like Johnson opt to play football in college.

JMO but Langford made the right move for him....play on a top team and coach instead being the lone ranger at AU or AUT. Hope that changes soon but I'm just not that optimistic.... :dunno:/>

Gerald wallace is arguably one of the better active players that graduated from state of Alabama

JMO but Langford made the right move for him....play on a top team and coach instead being the lone ranger at AU or AUT. Hope that changes soon but I'm just not that optimistic.... :dunno:/>

Gerald wallace is arguably one of the better active players that graduated from state of Alabama

Oh yes...there are some good ones but Langford is probably a once in a decade player...and would have been nice to keep him at home but I don't think that was ever a possibility.

And you might check the al.com piece today which noted that it's been about 15 years since AU had a player drafted by the NBA and Bama not much better. A week or so ago I looked to see how many guys from the state are playing in the NBA and it is only a handful.

Bruce going to have to do some serious out of state recruiting to make AU competitive IMO.....but he has the name recognition that should be able to help him.

Raldton Turner, Eric Bledsoe, Trevor lacey, guy that started for miss st can't remember his name, Malcolm Amstead few college players

Josh Langford has committed to Michigan State, his father tells Scout. Five-star wing in the 2016 class.

@EvanDaniels

Next Draymond Green? Maybe so.

They don't play anywhere close to the same style

Josh Langford has committed to Michigan State, his father tells Scout. Five-star wing in the 2016 class.

@EvanDaniels

Next Draymond Green? Maybe so.

They don't play anywhere close to the same style

I understand that some pretty good BB players come through the state's HS but considering that AU, UAB and UAT alone need about 4 or 5 good players each year....was just saying that in the past 10 or 15 years there have not been enough quality players to stock even one good Div 1 team at any given time....much less the three pretty good programs that are looking for players who can compete with Kentucky, Florida, LSU just to mention the better SEC teams.

JMO but the state of HS basketball in Alabama is pitiful. Not sure what it will take to turn things around but the reality is there if you take a look a the all state teams from a few years ago and see how many of those kids are playing a significant role for higher level Div 1 basketball programs.

Heard Langford say the other day that Michigan State has been recruiting him since his Freshman year and that he already considers Izzo his head coach. Simply put, we had no chance this go around but give Bruce time to start recruiting these kids early and see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived