High expectations nationally for JJ

WarEagle84

Jeremy Johnson has every tool to be America's best QB in 2015

Bruce Feldman

FOX Sports

042215-cfb-Jeremy-Johnson-pi-mp.vadapt.955.high.0.jpg

Shanna Lockwood

AUBURN, Ala. -- Jeremy Johnson is Auburn's new starting QB, but I expect him to be among the top quarterbacks in the SEC and one of the best in the entire country in 2015. The 6-foot-5, 230-pounder told me the biggest areas he's improved from last season are his command of the offense as well as becoming a more vocal leader.

The coaches love Johnson's arm, not just in terms of velocity but his touch and accuracy.

"He has a very live arm," said OC Rhett Lashlee. "He can throw it vertically very well, can also make all the intermediate throws well and also gets the ball out of his hands quick with the quick game and the bubble screens and those things, which is rare. He can do all three. He's a big guy. He can throw in traffic, in tight pockets. He can see over people. He's got a big NFL arm."

The guy also has enough speed to keep defenses honest in the run game and to extend plays from the pocket. Johnson told me he's been clocked at 4.53 in the 40-yard dash. He'll also have the luxury of relying on arguably the top receiver in the conference in Duke Williams.

Johnson is one of the guys I would categorize as a breakout player to watch in 2015.

read more

Agreed Shocks; the Two "C"s, command and calmness, were both quite impressive.

He's going to be awesome. He's going to spread the ball around a lot more than NM. I think we are going to be in for a treat this year.

While I believe JJ will be great next year I taper my expectations on the offense ad a whole due to the fact we are breaking in a new center and the online had yet to go against a defense other then ours. As long as JJ stays upright he will blow up opposing defense's but it's hard to throw on your backside or accurately when people are in your face...

There is a ton of POTENTIAL on offense this season. We'll have 8 new starters. I believe JJ is ready. But he -- and the rest of the team -- must perform on the field. I hope he's thinking about then next play more than the next natty at this point.

Tbone I don't entirely disagree with you. We do have some questions. We aren't putting in guys in these holes that have no experience. I think we'll be fine along the line. I think we'll see a big jump in the level of play from Coleman. Smith will be a beast. I think coach Grimes will have one of the better lines we have had in some time. It does hinge on how the center plays so we'll see. That opening game against Louisville will be big.

There is a ton of POTENTIAL on offense this season. We'll have 8 new starters. I believe JJ is ready. But he -- and the rest of the team -- must perform on the field. I hope he's thinking about then next play more than the next natty at this point.

Good point. Have you seen anything from JJ that makes you think he's thinking about "the next natty"? Lots of fans are dreaming of another national championship, but I've seen no indications that there's any reason to project that onto the team. I am grateful we root for a team where those dreams are plausible.

Tbone I don't entirely disagree with you. We do have some questions. We aren't putting in guys in these holes that have no experience. I think we'll be fine along the line. I think we'll see a big jump in the level of play from Coleman. Smith will be a beast. I think coach Grimes will have one of the better lines we have had in some time. It does hinge on how the center plays so we'll see. That opening game against Louisville will be big.

agree here....OL has some good experience and assuming Kozan will be back 100%.... which is what everyone is saying.... the line could be as good if not better than last year....and I do believe that H-back and WR blocking will be improved.

Finally watched all of A-Day game and was impressed with JJ's accuracy....but White looked pretty good too. His stats were not up to JJ but frankly, he mostly was tasked to throw short routes and don't recall that he had guys running routes much beyond 15 yards but he was on the mark.

QB situation looks to be in good shape as best I could tell.

This media love fest is all wonderful for us but too much pressure too soon on JJ. Really, if we hadn't had a guy that physically looks like JJ named Cam Newton would this limelight be so intense right now? Jeremy's resounding moment was one half against Arkansas which he played well. I believe spring football is not a lone indicator but I also believe Spring games gives some insight. JJ threw more than one poor pass incompletion to open receivers when under zero pressure and would have been picked more than once (including on a TD pass) had the secondary not been inept on the play. Fournette is getting similar national hype before doing...or not doing...all that much. JJ seems to have a level head, that will help him understand opposing Ds read too.

Good point. Have you seen anything from JJ that makes you think he's thinking about "the next natty"? Lots of fans are dreaming of another national championship, but I've seen no indications that there's any reason to project that onto the team. I am grateful we root for a team where those dreams are plausible.

I haven't seen anything to worry about from JJ, and Gus said during the on-field interview in the A-Day game that his goals were for the team to get better each week. That worked really well for us in 2013, and I hope it does again this season. One problem, I think, with the team last season is that they expected to win and win big. When we lost to aTm, that dashed those expectations, and we saw the results against UGA, and really for the rest of the season. I think we'd all do well to be excited about this work in PROGRESS.

This media love fest is all wonderful for us but too much pressure too soon on JJ. Really, if we hadn't had a guy that physically looks like JJ named Cam Newton would this limelight be so intense right now? Jeremy's resounding moment was one half against Arkansas which he played well. I believe spring football is not a lone indicator but I also believe Spring games gives some insight. JJ threw more than one poor pass incompletion to open receivers when under zero pressure and would have been picked more than once (including on a TD pass) had the secondary not been inept on the play. Fournette is getting similar national hype before doing...or not doing...all that much. JJ seems to have a level head, that will help him understand opposing Ds read too.

It is wise to temper expectations based simply on the Spring Game...of course its hard to tell how JJ would have reacted to D-line pressure since they were not going live. We'll just have to wait and see...but I am very encouraged with what I did see in the SG.

He's getting much more hype nationally than Cam was getting prior to his lone season at AU.

He's getting much more hype nationally than Cam was getting prior to his lone season at AU.

Because Cam came from literally nowhere

Sure, but being on the bench for 2 years and having roughly maybe 7 total quarters of work over a span of 27 career games could also be considered from nowhere. But I see your point in that, at least, he participated in d1 football whereas Cam was dominating juco in the middle of nowhere.

I think media members are infatuated by his size/arm coupled with how much they respect Gus and his track record for offenses/QBs.

The media is going by what they have seen over his body of work, not just the Spring A-Day scrimmage.

Last year, many said that the two best QBs in the SEC were on the same team; -- Marshall and Jeremy Johnson.

Not too worried about it going to his head. He is a junior, not a freshman or sophomore. If there is one thing Jeremy is, it is calm.

When we get no national respect, some here whine and worry about that. When we get national respect, some here whine and worry. I'm sensing a trend.

I'm just glad we were able to get him from the Titans where he played linebacker for Denzel Washington and switch him to quarterback.

Sure, but being on the bench for 2 years and having roughly maybe 7 total quarters of work over a span of 27 career games could also be considered from nowhere. But I see your point in that, at least, he participated in d1 football whereas Cam was dominating juco in the middle of nowhere.

I think media members are infatuated by his size/arm coupled with how much they respect Gus and his track record for offenses/QBs.

That's pretty much what we're doing too.

Sure, but being on the bench for 2 years and having roughly maybe 7 total quarters of work over a span of 27 career games could also be considered from nowhere....

Sure, If you want to define "coming from nowhere" as 2nd string QB for a team that played in the national championship one year and was in the hunt for a large part of the season the second year, and oh by the way, opened as the starter against an SEC opponent (and played lights out) in that second season and has been widely expected to succeed the previous starter and was a five star recruit and Alabama's Mr. Football and also a D1 prospect as a basketball player, then why not.

Sure, but being on the bench for 2 years and having roughly maybe 7 total quarters of work over a span of 27 career games could also be considered from nowhere....

Sure, If you want to define "coming from nowhere" as 2nd string QB for a team that played in the national championship one year and was in the hunt for a large part of the season the second year, and oh by the way, opened as the starter against an SEC opponent (and played lights out) in that second season and has been widely expected to succeed the previous starter and was a five star recruit and Alabama's Mr. Football and also a D1 prospect as a basketball player, then why not.

Jeremy was a 4 star out of high school. But we get the point.

I hate media hype. Auburn and it's athletes usually fare better without it. JJ is gifted and I hope he can just ignore the media and do what he does despite the attention he will be facing. Not all of it will be favorable because that's the way the media works these days....they like to build up and then tear down all these college kids and JJ is a big target. It would be nice to insulate him from all that media stupidity.

I hate media hype. Auburn and it's athletes usually fare better without it. JJ is gifted and I hope he can just ignore the media and do what he does despite the attention he will be facing. Not all of it will be favorable because that's the way the media works these days....they like to build up and then tear down all these college kids and JJ is a big target. It would be nice to insulate him from all that media stupidity.

But it sure would be nice to have to get to it

Archived