girl told not to read on school bus because it's dangerous.

cooltigger21

I think its a silly rule. It's also silly to give each individual bus driver autonomous control of the rules on his/her bus. (Per article: "the school board, ... deferred to the driver, saying the person who drives the bus is allowed to make the rules.")

But I also note, again from the link:

"The statement also specified that personal belongings of students, including books, must stay in their bags during the duration of their trip home." So this is not a specific bias against books or reading, but a more generalized rule the applies to all students and all personal belongings.

"She says she was told reading posed a risk to other students on the bus. He suggested they might stand up to see what she was reading..." Sounds like this is a problem of other students disobeying the rules, not the reader's fault or responsibility.

Personally, I think requiring all students to sit quietly and read, in more of a study hall type setting, would increase the safety on the bus: A calmer environment, less stress and fewer distractions for the driver, and less likelihood of hijinks or unsafe behavior from the students. (And they might actually learn!) I do realize that reading while moving can cause motion sickness in some persons, so that would be a detail for which adjustments or accommodations would have to be made.

Yeah, those Quebecois...always with the strangeness. And you thought America was absurd.

I would never have survived, I read whenever I can. I do not leave the house without some book of some kind either in my hand, bag, pocket, or car.

I would never have survived, I read whenever I can. I do not leave the house without some book of some kind either in my hand, bag, pocket, or car.

:thumbsup:

..and if caught without a book, I'll dive into an available magazine or newspaper on subjects that ordinarily never interest me.

Of course, being buried in a book is also a great shield between myself and those irritating real humans I encounter on my journey through life! :big::rolleyes:

Archived