Cameron Toney A-Day Breakdown

StatTiger

Entering spring practice there wasn't much discussion about Cameron Toney for the most part. He appeared in one game last season as a freshman, registering 2 tackles. One of the advantages of having a new head coach or just new coordinators is the surprises that come with the new coach evaluating the same players differently than the previous staff or coordinator. There are always a few players who get lost under the previous staff and are born again under the new coach(s). A new scheme or position change can bring out the most in a player. Cameron Toney had a great a-day and could turn into a major contributor this season in providing quality depth. Toney finished the scrimmage with a team-high of 8 combined tackles.

The play...

A-Day%20Cameron%20Toney_zpsfqb5cqvu.jpg

On this play Cameron Toney is set to attack off the edge. Toney is left unblocked. giving him a clear lane to the QB. He actually backs off because he knows there is no contact with the QB. Jeremy Johnson reacts well to the pressure, delivering a high arching pass to his hot route in Roc Thomas. The pass has to be arching because he is throwing early before Thomas has turned back to see the ball in the air. He delivers nice touch for Thomas to make a play in space.

To Toney's credit, he doesn't quit on the play after Johnson gets his pass off to Thomas. He chases the play down, which was set up nicely by Deshaun Davis taking the sideline away and forcing Roc back to the middle of the field. Note that at the final moment of the tackle, there are 10 defenders within a few yards of Thomas. The moment Roc hits the ground, the 11th defender comes into the picture. Having defenders swarm to the football on a consistent basis will likely increase Auburn's fumble recovery percentage. The Tigers were one of the worst teams in the country during 2014, when it came to recovering the opponent's fumbles. Of 22 forced-fumbles made by Auburn, only 5 were recovered.

Great play by many involved in this play on both sides of the football.

Great analysis Stat!! I have mentioned this before but it's great to see the defense SWARM again. You won't see Muschamp running the show from the pressbox. That was my biggest gripe about Johnson and we saw from the results of what coaching from the pressbox does for you last year. I like where we are headed with the defense. WDE!!!!

It didn't matter if Johnson was in the press box or not, he just couldn't coach against today's offenses. And to think me, and a few others were slammed for speaking on it. I'm so glad Gus saw it as well, so now that problem has been fixed and I'm looking forward to finally having a decent defense again

It didn't matter if Johnson was in the press box or not, he just couldn't coach against today's offenses. And to think me, and a few others were slammed for speaking on it. I'm so glad Gus saw it as well, so now that problem has been fixed and I'm looking forward to finally having a decent defense again

Headed in the right direction but it's not "fixed" yet. I would wager Auburn will still have issues on defense in 2015. We shall see what the freshman can do but Auburn has not established a pass-rush just yet and there are some glaring concerns about talent and depth in the secondary.

We are some distance away from having a decent defense again. The defense that was on the field in the shortened A-day game would have gotten us beat if the offense scored less than 50 points. If there was overall improvement besides some nice hustle and a better attitude I didn't see it.

To diminish attitude, heart, and hustle is doing a disservice to the coache and players. Those type of things are usually the hardest to get turned around

I guess I was fortunate, but I've never been on a team where attitude heart and hustle was an issue. Football, basketball, or track. But I hear about it on forums and whatnot. Just haven't ever seen it. Even when I've helped out with coaching

I guess I was fortunate, but I've never been on a team where attitude heart and hustle was an issue. Football, basketball, or track. But I hear about it on forums and whatnot. Just haven't ever seen it. Even when I've helped out with coaching

clearly, quite common

watched the game last night, finally. Toney was doing pretty well for the most part. He was pretty active and even if he wasn't making the play, he was redirecting traffic. Few plays he lost contain, but it was nice to see the effort.

We are some distance away from having a decent defense again. The defense that was on the field in the shortened A-day game would have gotten us beat if the offense scored less than 50 points. If there was overall improvement besides some nice hustle and a better attitude I didn't see it.

The defense I saw on A-day was better than any defense we fielded the past 2 yrs. everybody was swarming to the ball, something I haven't seen in quite sometime. And I like where this is headed. We will be a better defense this year, period!

To diminish attitude, heart, and hustle is doing a disservice to the coache and players. Those type of things are usually the hardest to get turned around

This,and the execution will fallow!!!

The defense I saw on A-day was better than any defense we fielded the past 2 yrs. everybody was swarming to the ball, something I haven't seen in quite sometime. And I like where this is headed. We will be a better defense this year, period!

That's is what I saw Live at the scrimmage as well. No more broken hand tackles. Our Defense was gang tackling on almost every play.

* Both defenses combined to hold the offense to 2-yards or less on 38.2% of the first-half snaps. The 2014 defense had a 48.1 percentage.

* The combined offenses gained at least 5-yards on 47.1% of their snaps. Last year's Auburn defense gave up at least 5-yards on 40.7% of the snaps defended.

Stats don't lie, but neither does the eye. I'm trusting my eyes on this one.

If the eye didn't lie then magicians would not exist .... just sayin

Magicians, witches and wizards been in existence well before Moses walked the earth..... The eye doesn't lie, just sayin

There are a few things that I saw that give me hope. One the attitude on defense, two the hustle on defense, and three the swarming on defense. That said Stat brought up some legitimate issues. Pass Rush and DB Depth. Pass rush was better than last year but was not there yet. Lawson didn't play and we get Cowart in the fall both will help especially Lawson. DB depth is issue when one of the better players was a walk-on. Muschamp and T-Robb need to work some magic.

Magicians, witches and wizards been in existence well before Moses walked the earth..... The eye doesn't lie, just sayin

Not sure what Moses or duration of the profession has to do with anything. Magicians make a living getting your eyes to see what is not real. That was my point. ... I hope i did not just ruin the magic show for you.

Not sure what Moses or duration of the profession has to do with anything. Magicians make a living getting your eyes to see what is not real. That was my point. ... I hope i did not just ruin the magic show for you.

U didn't, I was just saying magic has been around for years and it was nothing new, this attitude and swarming to the football is, considering what we have gone thru these past couple of years. No harm at all, WDE to u

Which is the darker colored square, A or B?

Grey_square_optical_illusion.PNG

I'm guessing they're the same, even though the brain interprets the drawing to indicate that A is darker than B because of the shadow cast (or represented as being cast) by the cylinder and the appearance that square A is in a well-lit area. Without covering up the squares surrounding A and B, I can't make myself see that, though.

I'm guessing they're the same, even though the brain interprets the drawing to indicate that A is darker than B because of the shadow cast (or represented as being cast) by the cylinder and the appearance that square A is in a well-lit area. Without covering up the squares surrounding A and B, I can't make myself see that, though.

I think is black and blue.

I'm guessing C because of the shade

Cam Toney stood out to me, glad to see others take notice. Made few mistakes, plays with incredible leverage, uses his strong base and gets full extension with his arms. I thought he played the Buck really well, both with hands in the dirt and standing up. At about 7' into Q1 we went to 3DL and he had curl-to-flat responsibility in Cover3, he was a bit late getting to the flat but covered another important responsibility when he funneled the first deep threat that crossed his face (#2 on a post/seam) inside towards the MOF (middle of field) safety before covering the flat route by #1... Its a small detail but very important that he routes him towards the single high safety.

As an example of what kind of leverage this kid gets, go to the 3:50 mark in Q1 and see what he does to Avery on 3rd and 3, then again at 2:47 does a great job fighting off a block on a Counter Play to the boundary and tackles Jovon. The kid has big time upside, pretty important that we find lots of options, Cowart isn't a sure thing as a freshman, Carl Lawson was an outlier.

Archived