[Old] Newcomers This Year

AUTUmike

Even ignoring the incoming class of freshman (from which we'll certainly find at least a few contributors for 2015), Auburn is adding a few really big players that were missing last year. In Tray Matthews, Carl Lawson, Alex Kozan, and Austin Golson, AU is adding four players that will in all likelihood be drafted over the next couple years (and in crucial areas of need: O-line, D-line, and secondary). Since all of these guys were on campus last year, I keep finding it easy to forget about how good they are. Anyway, just another reason to be excited about the coming year, as compared to 2014.

Lawson and Kozan were held out of the spring game, along with a couple of other key linemen. That will concern me until I see them on the field vs. Louisville. Coachspeak being what it is, we have to believe our eyes rather than our ears.

For my part, I agree on Kozan. Not on Lawson. He went full contact in drills and other portions of practice. He was just held out of scrimmages. He's ready. Kozan ramped up his contact this spring so I should feel the same, but backs are much trickier than knees. Until he's full go, I'm cautiously optimistic.

I don't think its coachspeak when they straight up say, "he's been medically cleared." Coachspeak would be more like, "we're hoping he'll be able to help us this year."

For a spring game, I bet you the coaches were happy to have an excuse to hold a guy like Lawson out.

Archived