Question Regarding Nepal Earthquake

Proud Tiger

Can anyone recommend a good charity/organization that is effective in dealing with situations like this, one that follows up to assure help actually gets to the people? I would like to contribute but in the past I haven't been real happy with what I leaned

later.

1. Red Cross
  2. Doctors without borders (Medicins Sans Frontieres) http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

These are the two I turn to. Even if I had any suspension of them, they do way more than I could ever give in one lifetime.

(on a totally unrelated note I will never give to United Way again)

Can anyone recommend a good charity/organization that is effective in dealing with situations like this, one that follows up to assure help actually gets to the people? I would like to contribute but in the past I haven't been real happy with what I leaned

later.

Oh my!!! I was tuned out from the outside world this morning and for the hours of my fellowship and your post was the first that I had heard of the earthquake. Now that I have seen the news my heart is very heavy right now. This is bad in the worse way, and YES, they will need all the money and resources that they can get.

I recommend Direct Relief. https://www.directre....org/emergency/

They have an insane rating from Charity Navigator (which, btw, I also recommend.) http://www.charityna...26#.VTwqp3oXGDk

Thanks for the rating site. Now I feel better about my own suggestion , as it rates pretty darn high itself.

Also, I forgot to mention before I wandered off for a pizza: If you are looking at relief specifically for this incident, make sure you donate to the correct Red Cross. American Red Cross and International Committee of the Red Cross are two different organizations with different missions and areas of responsibility.

Also, I forgot to mention before I wandered off for a pizza: If you are looking at relief specifically for this incident, make sure you donate to the correct Red Cross. American Red Cross and International Committee of the Red Cross are two different organizations with different missions and areas of responsibility.

Thanks for that info. I didn't realize that. But as it turns out I contribute to the Red Cross for domestic disasters and to MSF for foreign ones.

And I've never even heard of Direct Relief.

Samaritan's Purse is great.

Maybe so, but I don't care for Franklin Graham.

It's not about you or Franklin, but the good work that gets done.

I understand. But the fact of the matter is, being human, emotion plays a key role in every decision I make.

Given the choice of contributing to an equally deserving charity that is not affiliated with Franklin Graham, I would not support his organization.

No doubt you would feel the same about an charitable organization founded by Hillary Clinton (for example).

It doesn't change the fact that they do great work.

Fortunately there are plenty of aid organizations that do equally good work and don't proselytize while doing so. I don't really care to have my money fund bibles for Russian Jews (for example).

More importantly, there are plenty of aid organizations that were not founded by a politicized, religious xenophobe.

Well, I actually prefer organizations that meet not just physical and emotional needs, but spiritual ones as well. I also think it's valuable for people in parts of the world that are with other religions to know that people who worship differently than they do love and care about them. If for no other reason that spreading religious tolerance - the notion that we can have different beliefs and disagree on doctrines and such but we will drop everything to come and help you when you need it...it's a message that needs to spread.

...the notion that we can have different beliefs and disagree on doctrines and such but we will drop everything to come and help you when you need it...it's a message that needs to spread.

AMEN!!!

Well, I actually prefer organizations that meet not just physical and emotional needs, but spiritual ones as well. I also think it's valuable for people in parts of the world that are with other religions to know that people who worship differently than they do love and care about them. If for no other reason that spreading religious tolerance - the notion that we can have different beliefs and disagree on doctrines and such but we will drop everything to come and help you when you need it...it's a message that needs to spread.

Well, I think it's presumptuous to proselytize to people who are physically and psychologically traumatized with grief.

I totally agree with your last sentence.

But I find it ironic since it addresses the very issue that forms the basis of my antipathy for Franklin Graham.

Well, I think it's presumptuous to proselytize to people who are physically and psychologically traumatized with grief.

I totally agree with your last sentence.

But I find it ironic since it addresses the very issue that forms the basis of my antipathy for Franklin Graham.

I don't have to like everything Mr. Graham says to believe in the mission of Samaritan's Purse.

And what you call proselytizing, we would call simply telling people the truth about God's concern for them, even in the midst of their darkest hour - especially in their darkest hour. It's presumptuous to think that the only needs people have in grief and trauma are physical or emotional needs.

I understand. But the fact of the matter is, being human, emotion plays a key role in every decision I make.

Given the choice of contributing to an equally deserving charity that is not affiliated with Franklin Graham, I would not support his organization.

No doubt you would feel the same about an charitable organization founded by Hillary Clinton (for example).

Well, MY motivation and emotion are driven by seeing $ well spent when it comes to aiding others. Samaritan's Purse , as noted before, rates highly in seeing donation $ making a difference in helping those in need.

If this non believer can get past the fact they're religious, and realize the point is to get aid to thems who need it, I don't see why all the fuss.

But that's just me.

Well, MY motivation and emotion are driven by seeing $ well spent when it comes to aiding others. Samaritan's Purse , as noted before, rates highly in seeing donation $ making a difference in helping those in need.

If this non believer can get past the fact they're religious, and realize the point is to get aid to thems who need it, I don't see why all the fuss.

But that's just me.

Some people are not just non believers but vehemently opposed to anything spiritual. The thought of ministering to ones soul while also ministering to their physical needs is just abhorrent to them and drives them over the edge.

Archived