Myron Burton A-Day breakdown

StatTiger

Perhaps the biggest story on the offensive of the football this past spring practice was the performance of WR, Myron Burton. Mark Murphy and Jason Caldwell singled out the wide receiver during bowl preparation and Burton has carried his work ethic over to spring ball. With the early departure of Sammie Coates and the loss of Quan Bray, Auburn needs for some of the young WR's to step up in 2015. One of those receivers appears to be RS freshman, Myron Burton. At 6-2, 201 Burton brings good size along with an athletic upside to be a consistent play maker. Duke Williams will draw plenty of double-coverage in 2015, creating opportunities for Auburn's remaining receiving corps.

The play...

A-Day%20Burton%20TD%20Pass_zpsn3k6wi50.jpg

On this play the Auburn offense has a 1st & 10 at the opponent's 43-yard line. The offense comes out in their base formation (3-WR set) with the intent of throwing deep to Myron Burton. Jeremy Johnson sets up the play nicely by looking off his primary target. A presnap read reveals one deep safety playing over the top. By looking off his primary target, Johnson prevents the deep safety from playing towards the boundary side.

After looking off the primary target, Johnson resets his feet and shoulders to make his deep pass to Burton. Johnson throws deep, allowing Burton to run under the ball for the reception at the 8-yard line. Burton hauls the pass in and is able to power his way into the end zone. The safety is too late to get over in time to recover for the CB burned on the deep route.

In frame #3, Chandler Cox and Peyton Barber can be seen double teaming the DE. Their ability to take out the DE, allows the OL to double up on 2 of the 3 remaining pass-rushers. The protection on this play is exceptional, which is required on deep pass plays or pass plays involving slowly developing routes. If Cox and Barber are able to provide consistent pass-protection it will increase their value and the number of snaps on the field.

Since two of my daughters are Peachtree Ridge graduates and my youngest begins her HS career there next year, I am pretty pumped that AU finally signed a Peachtree Ridge Lion and that Burton appears to be doing good things on the practice field. Looking forward to him getting some meaningful playing time in the fall.

wde

Thanks for taking time to illustrate these plays, I appreciate that.

The cb has to trust the Safety lined up inside of him, the S is the run force player, the cb has to be more concerned with the 9 route. Unfortunately, he not only stared into the backfield while Burton eats up his cushion, Burton is nearly past him before he comes out of a bail technique, he's already toast and he gave his Safety zero chance to help out. His alignment pre-snap was an outside shade (makes sense since wr is on the numbers and there's single high Safety look), but at the snap he just lets Burton get outside release, typically a big no-no in this coverage (exception would be a very wide split by wr pre-snap). It was a nice job by Gus in design and JJ in execution, but really a poor coverage job by the corner, my opinion anyway.

Archived