No. 7 Auburn Men's Golf earns Regional Bid- Lubbock, Tx. advances to Finals

augolf1716

Not a bad region to be in just wish Tx. Tech was not playing on their home course.

AUBURN, Ala. -- The No. 7 Auburn men's golf team earned a three seed in the 13-team NCAA Lubbock, Texas, Regional to be played at The Rawls Course May 14-16. Five of the nation's top 28 teams in the Golfweek rankings are in the Lubbock Regional.

The top five teams and one individual not on those teams qualify for the 119th NCAA Men's Golf Championship in Bradenton, Fla., at The Concession Golf Club in Bradenton, Fla., May 29-June 3.

The Tigers are making their 24th overall NCAA Regional appearance in the last 26 years as sixth-year head coachNick Clinard has led the Tigers to six-straight NCAA Regionals while advancing to four-straight NCAA Championships.

"I'm glad to be accepted to the NCAA Regional for the sixth-straight year at Auburn and am very proud of team and their efforts," said Auburn head coach Nick Clinard. "I'm looking forward to competing which will be a tough task to win. Arguably, the best team in the country is in our field, but we look forward to the challenge."

This will be Auburn's first trip to Lubbock while only one golfer, Matt Gilchrest, has played The Rawls Course, a par-71, 7349-yard layout.

"Matt Gilchrest has played there before but other than that it's golf," said Clinard. "You have to play well wherever you go, and it will be a huge challenge to beat a good Texas Tech team on their own golf course."

The Lubbock Regional teams in order of seeding include No. 3 Texas, No. 11 Texas Tech, No. 7 Auburn, No. 26 North Florida, No. 28 California, Houston, Louisville, Duke, Southeastern Louisiana, Purdue, Georgia State, California-Irvine and Charleston Southern.

Individuals in the Lubbock Regional include Tomasz Anderson, Jacksonville State; Adria Arnaus, Texas A&M; Victor Lange, Louisiana Tech; Tyler McDaniel, Kentucky; David Snyder, Kentucky; Greg Yates, Texas A&M; Martin Simonsen, Texas-El Paso; Matt Mabrey, Tulsa; Jake Sherwin, Florida Gulf Coast; and Nocolas Platret, Texas-Pan American.

Eight SEC teams qualified for the NCAA Regionals, including South Carolina at the Gold Mountain Club in Bremerton, Wash.; Florida at the UNC Finley Golf Course in Chapel Hill, N.C.; Vanderbilt, LSU and Arkansas at The Course at Yale in New Haven, Conn.; Alabama at The Sagamore Club in Noblesville, Ind.; and Georgia and Ole Miss at The Farms Golf Club in Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.

Auburn has three tournament wins this year in the Tiger Invitational, Mobile Sports Authority Intercollegiate and Schenkel Invitational while All-SEC second-team selection Michael Johnson has won two tournaments in the Tiger Invitational and Gary Koch Invitational while Dan Stringfellow won the Schenkel.

Schlottman, who became the first freshman in Auburn history to be named first-team All-SEC, currently has the lowest single-season stroke average in school annals at 69.67 while sophomore All-SEC first-team selection Matt Gilchrest has the second lowest in history at 70.41.

Auburn will tee off at 8:24 am in Wednesday's practice round while opening the first round on Thursday off No. 1 at 8 am Central with Texas and Texas Tech.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting not a good start but I don't see Houston and Duke keeping up that scoring. It was a good day for scoring and AU wasted it. Just got to get in top 5

Spot locked up for the NCAA Championships in Bradenton, Fla., May 29-June 3.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey im new here, but ive lurked for a while. Does anyone know of the best way to get in touch with Dufner? Im putting together a charity golf tourny for my company and wanted to give away an autographed hat if possible. Charity is Operation Santa Claus here in Denver. (Apologies if this isnt the best place to request this)

Wow congrats to our Golf Team! That course is down in my neck of the woods....will see if I can get over there this weekend. Didn't know that course was there but I don't play that much golf.

Archived