Cam Newton reflects on success off the field

RunInRed

A great read, you continue to make us proud Cam ...

It’s no breaking news that Auburn legend Cam Newton was back on campus this spring semester. For students and fans, seeing his face around brought back the excitement of the 2010 season; the 28-27 Iron Bowl, the SEC Championship win against Steve Spurrier’s Gamecocks, and, eventually, bringing home the BCS National Championship trophy for the first time since 1957. Countless selfies from eager fans flooded social media while students crowded his classrooms just for a peek at the now-Carolina Panthers quarterback.

Since his first day back, the attention from student fans has been hard to avoid, but Newton said it’s relatively normal for him.

“It’s something that you just have to get used to,” Newton said. “Every time I come to Auburn, it’s nothing but love.”

Newton said his return to school was under his mother’s wishes, regardless of his success as an NFL quarterback.

“It was a promise that I made to her,” Newton said. “My mom was more compassionate about how I would be treated off the field. Throughout the process, before I even knew what school I was going to go to, she wanted me to vow to her that whatever school I do decide, I would graduate from. She wasn’t playing, she was serious, and I was sincere.”

When Auburn hands him the sociology degree he’s been working for, he said he has special plans on where to keep it.

“When I do get my diploma, I’m going to put it right above my mom’s door, so she knows her words were not in vain,” Newton said. “All my awards that mean the world to me are implanted (in her house) and this is no different. If anything, it’s going right along next to the Heisman.”

Read More: http://www.theplains...s-off-the-field

Wait....what Cam came back to Auburn? But all the Bama folks said he was just going to use Auburn, be one and done, turn his back on Auburn, and never step foot on campus again. Can't tell you how many times I heard that from friends, on the radio, and on tv. Wonder what those folks have to say now and about how out spoken he has been for Auburn since the day he left. Where's the cricket emoticon?

Archived