Former UT 5* OL Transferring

CameronCrazy

I remember this guy when he was being recruited. Most people would say to stay away, but we have had pretty good success lately giving players a second chance. I would love to see Muschamp use some of his Texas connections to help Coach Grimes land this elite transfer....

The Texas Longhorns will reportedly lose another highly-ranked offensive lineman with a Tuesday evening report from Orangebloods that sophomore Darius James will transfer from the program. Horn Sports confirmed the news a short time later.

A former consensus five-star prospect, James was the highest-rated member of the 2013 recruiting class as the No. 34 prospect, the No. 1 offensive guard, and the No. 5 player in Texas. His future looked uncertain ever since head coach Charlie Strong said during the spring that he wasn't with the team for academic reasons.

The 6'4, 304-pounder appeared in six games during the 2014 season, including starts at right tackle against Baylor and Oklahoma before he fell out of favor and didn't play against Iowa State. An injury to starting right guard Kent Perkins forced him into action against Kansas State, but he didn't play in the next game against Texas Tech, then suffered a knee injury that ultimately caused him to miss the rest of the season.

James likely won't be the only offensive lineman to leave this spring, as Inside Texas reported in late April that redshirt freshman Alex Anderson will transfer after losing reps to a walk on during the Orange-White game. There haven't been any further updates on Anderson since then, but if both players leave, they would become the third and fourth offensive linemen to leave the program since last fall, joining fellow transfers Rami Hammad and Curtis Riser.

The loss of James would also further decimate the once-heralded 2013 offensive line class, which featured James, Hammad, highly-rated junior college offensive tackle Desmond Harrison, junior offensive guard Kent Perkins, and sophomore offensive lineman Jake Raulerson. Since Harrison is no longer in the program after he was suspended all of last season, Perkins and Raulerson would become the only remaining members of that group if or when the transfer of James becomes official.

It's not an area of need so I don't think we have any reason to get involved with this one.

Agree....time to stop picking up other schools problem children...jMO.

The bad news just keeps coming out of Austin. Lucky for Charlie strong that he's only been there one year. He still has time to turn things around.

He could spend one year at a JUCO and try D1 again. Probably his best bet from an academic standpoint.

The bad news just keeps coming out of Austin. Lucky for Charlie strong that he's only been there one year. He still has time to turn things around.

I wonder if the PTB will be patient enough to allow him time to turn it around.

It's not an area of need so I don't think we have any reason to get involved with this one.

Why would tackle not be an area of need?

What makes him a problem child?

I thought it was grades, but if he can't cut it at UT, I don't see how he will cut it at AU, so I could be wrong.

Maybe just a different perspective or maturity. Some of the smartest people I know messed up in college their first time round

Why would tackle not be an area of need?

Yeah I'd say it will be an area of need by the time this kid is eligible in 2016. Although from his size and playing history it sounds like he'll be more of a swing guy that can play inside or outside on the OL.

Just reading the news release....academics, "fell out of favor with coaches" and did not play in several games , an injury.....just not a very clean record for a 5* guy who probably had a couple tutors looking after him to keep him eligible.

Oh.....and UTx apparently not doing anything to keep him.

But as you suggest.....maybe he will have learned a few things....and probably we are not going to sign many DLs from Georgia which seems to be the theme of several posts anyway.

Let's check back in a couple years and see what's what with him....

Well I don't think sustaining an injury would make you a problem child...Actually falling out of favor with coaches wouldn't either. Could be something big but it could be something as little as weight issues or conditioning or something like that. I don't think urban Meyer still has anything nice to say about cam but he's a pretty good guy

Well I don't think sustaining an injury would make you a problem child...Actually falling out of favor with coaches wouldn't either. Could be something big but it could be something as little as weight issues or conditioning or something like that. I don't think urban Meyer still has anything nice to say about cam but he's a pretty good guy

I appreciate you are putting the best light on things...but IMO if the coaches at UTx thought the guy was valuable to their team, they would be knocking themselves out themselves out to keep him eligible and healthy. He spent two years there playing for a mediocre Texas team...redshirted one year and and played in about a half dozen games.....plus missing spring because of grades.

As it is, seems they were not unhappy to him go..."processed" might be the best term for what went on.

And for the record, comparing every kid who bounces from one school to the next looking for success to Cam....that's a meaningless comparison and I doubt anyone (perhaps other than you) really believes that Cam's history has any relevance to this guy....or anyone else.

He was now playing for a coaching staff that didn't recruit. I think it's that simple. He didn't gel with that staff and now it's time for a fresh start. We need OT's and he has 5* ability. If you watched what Cam did in 2010, and what Tray Matthews & Austin Golson are going to do this year, then you'll be just as excited as I am!

Those saying if he couldn't cut it at UT then how can he cut it here and that he may be a problem kid, I figure those thoughts might have gone through Gus's mind along with about 100 other thoughts when evaluating him. If he lands here perhaps it's because Gus knows way more about this kid than we EVER will and he feels confident that he can turn this young man into an outstanding football player and Auburn man.

Those saying if he couldn't cut it at UT then how can he cut it here and that he may be a problem kid, I figure those thoughts might have gone through Gus's mind along with about 100 other thoughts when evaluating him. If he lands here perhaps it's because Gus knows way more about this kid than we EVER will and he feels confident that he can turn this young man into an outstanding football player and Auburn man.

and Gus is never wrong is judging these situations either..... :dunno:

I'm not enthused, but if he wants to come here and earn a spot and our coaches are on board with that, ok.

We had two "carryover" slots for 2016 early enrolees. If the transfer DB from Ohio State and this guy go on scholarship before the end of the month, they will count back on our 2015 class. That leaves us with just the normal 25 for next year, there will be no carryover slots.

cam sorta admitted himself he had some growing up to do when he went to JUCO. that is probably why urban has no love loss. cam did mature and matured well. if we get that type of person, attitude and ability i am all in. i do remain skeptical as i was with cam.

I appreciate you are putting the best light on things...but IMO if the coaches at UTx thought the guy was valuable to their team, they would be knocking themselves out themselves out to keep him eligible and healthy. He spent two years there playing for a mediocre Texas team...redshirted one year and and played in about a half dozen games.....plus missing spring because of grades.

As it is, seems they were not unhappy to him go..."processed" might be the best term for what went on.

And for the record, comparing every kid who bounces from one school to the next looking for success to Cam....that's a meaningless comparison and I doubt anyone (perhaps other than you) really believes that Cam's history has any relevance to this guy....or anyone else.

Lol if you can't see the point as far as comparing cam's situation no it's just you. Everybody can see it, really you can to but it would show how stupid writing this kid off. Especially for the reasons you listed.

Archived