2015 4* CB Jamel Dean (Ohio St Transfer)

Ohio State early enrollee Jamel Dean says he's going to Auburn ...

God keeps blessing me and for that I'm thankful! I will be attending and playing football at Auburn University! I'm a tiger once again

@jamel_dean15

After a controversial departure, Ohio State early enrollee Jamel Dean tweets that he'll be playing at Auburn. Though he'll have four years of eligibility after never having played a down at OSU, he'll need a waiver from the NCAA to be eligible immediately due to having enrolled early. The Buckeyes and Dean parted ways after OSU's medical staff refused to clear Dean for participation this winter due to lingering complications from a knee injury. Dean's camp remained adamant his own third party medical evaluations had cleared him for participation.

http://www.landgrant...going-to-auburn

Dean played at Cocoa High School in the Orlando area prior to arriving in Columbus. He was a football and track star there, but a torn ACL his junior year and a torn meniscus during his senior season have left his future playing career in question.

"He's going to do great," Cocoa assistant Tyrone Giscomb told 247Sports of Dean's new landing spot. "I appreciate all of the coaches at Ohio State looking out for him while he was there."

http://ohiostate.247...Auburn-37176310

- TRob had recruited him at Florida ...

JAMEL-DEAN-131203-PROFILE.JPG

Jamel Dean, CB

Cocoa, FL

Ht: 6'2 | Wt: 200

247Sports: 4*

ESPN: 4*

Rivals: 4*

Scout: 3*

Hudl Highlights

972310.JPG

Photo: 247Sports

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How would he be eligible to play immediately? Seems like I remember a RB (Corey Grant I believe) in the past transferred to AU and never suited up either. He was on campus 1 day and decided it wasn't for him and he left. He had to sit out a year due to eligibility. Is this because he was not cleared by the medical staff? If so, why would we clear him if another school would not?

Wasn't Corey Grant because he redshirted at bama. He was on campus more than one day. He didn't transfer here until June 2011 so he had already gone through spring that year as well I believe.

Seems like it was somebody from UF... Heck maybe I am just making that up.

How would he be eligible to play immediately? Seems like I remember a RB (Corey Grant I believe) in the past transferred to AU and never suited up either. He was on campus 1 day and decided it wasn't for him and he left. He had to sit out a year due to eligibility. Is this because he was not cleared by the medical staff? If so, why would we clear him if another school would not?

Wasn't Corey Grant because he redshirted at bama. He was on campus more than one day. He didn't transfer here until June 2011 so he had already gone through spring that year as well I believe.

Seems like it was somebody from UF... Heck maybe I am just making that up.

Mike Blakely would be who you're thinking of then. Don't remember his story right off the bat tho

Funny how Rival's lists him at 6'0" and 247 has him at 6'2". That is some serious rounding up or down somewhere....

Because Urbz hates Auburn and is a sore loser. It wouldn't shock me if he blocked it

Because Urbz hates Auburn and is a sore loser. It wouldn't shock me if he blocked it

This is paranoia

hopefully, but i actually believe it.

Wasn't Meyer the one who encouraged Dan Mullen to get the ball rolling on the Cam Newton recruitment BS? Acting like a little punk because he would still be at UF if he had Cam at QB

Wasn't Meyer the one who encouraged Dan Mullen to get the ball rolling on the Cam Newton recruitment BS? Acting like a little punk because he would still be at UF if he had Cam at QB

Urban over signed his class, Dean is attrition. He will get his full release.

That was speculation, not confirmed. Nor do I remember any hard evidence surfacing.

That was speculation, not confirmed. Nor do I remember any hard evidence surfacing.

He was the only one who had known cam's school records and released them to the media

Mike Blakely would be who you're thinking of then. Don't remember his story right off the bat tho

Yeah thanks Maverick. That is who it was. Here is an article on him. Looks like he has had a rough go of it. Interesting quote from article:

The 5-foot-9. 205-pounder left Auburn after the 2012 season and thought he was headed for USF.

He was banking on the NCAA granting him a hardship waiver because he was coming home to take care of his 1-year-old son Mike III.

Like most college athletes, Blakely was naïve to believe in the NCAA.

I know this a little off topic. I will stop with the Blakely story now.

Hope NCAA gives him the waiver. We need secondary players badly.

Hope NCAA gives him the waiver. We need secondary players badly.

Those reports on a waiver are wrong. The NCAA changed that rule a few months ago. Remember the Khari to Tulsa sitch? The only transfers eligible immediately are college grad transfers.

also...

@Keith247Sports 9m9 minutes ago

Former #Buckeyes EE says he's headed 2 #Auburn -- His former coach tells us Dr. James Andrews cleared him medically http://auburn.247spo...aded-to-Auburn-

For those wondering reports are JD is going on scholly immediately. That means he counts in the class that just signed & is about to enroll.

I don't think the eligible immediately thing is correct, full release or not. Once a player signs a letter of intent, the rule is they sit a year if they transfer. Doesn't matter if they practiced with the team or played or not. (And if I'm correct about this, it's another good example of why kids shouldn't sign a letter of intent. They aren't a requirement for accepting an athletic scholarship.)

Also, even if he is eligible immediately, it sounds like he still has some rehabbing to do with that knee. If that's the case, sitting for a year and getting fully healthy is probably the best thing anyway.

For those wondering reports are JD is going on scholly immediately. That means he counts in the class that just signed & is about to enroll.

Will he be eligible to play in 2015?

I don't think the eligible immediately thing is correct, full release or not. Once a player signs a letter of intent, the rule is they sit a year if they transfer. Doesn't matter if they practiced with the team or played or not. (And if I'm correct about this, it's another good example of why kids shouldn't sign a letter of intent. They aren't a requirement for accepting an athletic scholarship.)

Also, even if he is eligible immediately, it sounds like he still has some rehabbing to do with that knee. If that's the case, sitting for a year and getting fully healthy is probably the best thing anyway.

agree. Except this guy is not just being granted a release but basically being ran off. I don't know if ncaa sees it any different. But that is a lot of injury.

Will he be eligible to play in 2015?

Correct

Regardless of how this turns out this guy did a review of his knee and indicated he is good to go, not sure if he is Doctor in a Box and just cleared him but he is clear!

Dean has since been cleared by Dr. James Andrews and is set to arrive on the Plains May 24, citing Cocoa assistant Tyrone Giscombe. He has four years of eligibility remaining

PS I know who he is

Regardless of how this turns out this guy did a review of his knee and indicated he is good to go, not sure if he is Doctor in a Box and just cleared him but he is clear!

Dean has since been cleared by Dr. James Andrews and is set to arrive on the Plains May 24, citing Cocoa assistant Tyrone Giscombe. He has four years of eligibility remaining

PS I know who he is

He's eligible immediately I believe.

Archived