Realistic expectations for our defense 2015..

tbone4jc

I know a of us are expecting our defense to be much improved, but how much?

What improvements/strides will the d line make?

Will our linebacker play improve with the personal we currently have?

Will our d backs take better angles/use better tackling techniques?

My opinion that if the d line improves our defense as a whole improves. If our boys can stop the run and apply pressure with some consistency then I see our lb play improve. I think Trey Matthews will help tremendously in the d back field.

I think if the defense as a whole completely buys in to what the coaching staff is selling, the sky is the limit. We have the talent at every position, creating quality depth may be an issue this year but I am pumped to see the change! What says you?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DL has the potential to be very, very good. Linebacker play to say the least is inconsistent and a position where Boom feels needs help. Kris Frost and Cass need to step up and be the leaders that they can be. I think we see Tre Williams and Deshaun Davis share snaps at the third LB spot. Secondary is extremely suspect this spring. With the secondary being banged up this spring, don't be surprised if they are the weakest link on the defense early in the season. Overall, I believe we see a ton of improvement, enough to help the offense a load more than last season. Expect to see the whole defense attack the ball on every snap. I don't expect lights out defense, but I do expect a lot better than last year.

I'm hopeful but not real optimistic. The DB's should be better. If Tre Williams and Deshaun Davis can get on the field early and often, that should help. The DL lost a lot of warm bodies but there is some talent there. Maybe running a new scheme will help.

Sleazy Rider's offense will check us out real good in game one. I hope we're ready.

If we're even average, I'll be happy. Of course I want them to be above average, but I'm tempering my expectations.

An average defense last year would've helped us win at least two more games.

If our defense last year could have come up with two series stops in the games we lost, I believe our season would have been much different. I believe we will get some of those stops this year.

Realistically, I think we'll be much improved in terms of effort, attitude, and performance on the field. I think it would be realistic to expect something like in the top half of the SEC in every major statistical category. I look for particular improvement in terms of turnovers and sacks.

Lost some good players but will get Lawson back and more experience from the young guys. New DC. At worst a push with optimism for improvement.

I think best case is 5th in conference behind UGA, OM, $puat, and a wildcard of LSU or Mizz.

I believe the D line will create pressure and play well against the run which will help everyone out. I guess with CGM & CWM saying they were pleased with the lb's isn't enough for some people. CWM said he felt good about 4 LB's for two spots just not naming starters. CGM was asked who stood out this spring and he singled out the LB's. But I guess they either don't know or are lying. You tell me. DB play will be good if everyone stays healthy and 1 or 2 of the young bucks step up. Over all we'll be much improved. CWM, T-Rob, CRG and CLT will have these guys ready. War Eagle!!!!

Realistically, all I expect is improvement. This year's defense, if it can just be average to mediocre will be miles ahead of last year. I'm really hoping to see a secondary that's in position to make a play, that doesn't look confused and that doesn't give up the big plays/loooong TD passes on assignment mistakes/miscues late in the game. Do that and get some pressure on opposing QBs and I'll call it a good start.

Play hard, get after people's ass, make tackles, run to the ball. You may still suck but at least look like you care about defense and playing hard. Muschamp won't put up with half-assing it like we've seen since 2009.

I believe the D line will create pressure and play well against the run which will help everyone out. I guess with CGM & CWM saying they were pleased with the lb's isn't enough for some people. CWM said he felt good about 4 LB's for two spots just not naming starters. CGM was asked who stood out this spring and he singled out the LB's. But I guess they either don't know or are lying. You tell me. DB play will be good if everyone stays healthy and 1 or 2 of the young bucks step up. Over all we'll be much improved. CWM, T-Rob, CRG and CLT will have these guys ready. War Eagle!!!!

Funny because I remember vividly Muschamp stating that there were no starters at LB yet. I guess you take that as a good sign, which is fine. I just figured since the two oldest and most experienced players on the defense (who mind you came back for their senior seasons) weren't the starters at their respective positions by the end of spring was a bad thing. I guess not!

It will certainly be better. There's absolutely no reason anyone could propose otherwise.

Personally, I think it will be much better than "average" in the SEC. But that's just a gut feeling. :homer:

Funny because I remember vividly Muschamp stating that there were no starters at LB yet. I guess you take that as a good sign, which is fine. I just figured since the two oldest and most experienced players on the defense (who mind you came back for their senior seasons) weren't the starters at their respective positions by the end of spring was a bad thing. I guess not!

If you'll reread my post I said he wasn't naming a starter. The way I take it is that he's not naming starters because they're all good and he's just pushing them. Also with what CGM said, I believe they'll be just fine. But don't take my word for it, check out the Bruce Feldman interview of Coach Malzahn. See if you can hear him as vividly.

I'm hopeful but not real optimistic. The DB's should be better. If Tre Williams and Deshaun Davis can get on the field early and often, that should help. The DL lost a lot of warm bodies but there is some talent there. Maybe running a new scheme will help.

Sleazy Rider's offense will check us out real good in game one. I hope we're ready.

How am I just now hearing that for the first time? :lmao: :rollin:

I think the defense will improve continually over the course of the season and in the second half of games. The first game, I suspect there to be some blown coverages and missed tackles that make us all shake our heads. I think that, as fans, we need to understand that it isn't gonna be lights out right away. If we stay healthy, our defense can be playing like that by the end of the season, but I suspect growing pains early on, especially in the beginning stages of games.

My biggest concern is depth at DT and DE. We have 4 guys (IMO) at both positions that can play at an SEC level, and a few of those have no or limited experience. That may hurt us late in games/season if they don't get conditioned well or have injuries. At least we have bodies at LB and DB, even if some are freshmen.

I just want to see our guys flying around, gang tackling and getting after the QB. Basically just the AU defense of old.

Sleazy Rider....nice! : " I think I'll order kidneys, 'cause I left mine out there on the road somewhere."

We should be better just because of who the DC is now. He will also be down on the field coaching during the game which is important imo. We are in good shape on starters for all 11 spots but they can't play every snap of course. Depth is, decent on the DL, not "too" bad on the LBs and thin in experience in the secondary.

In the secondary, we have signed a lot of 4* talent in the '14 and '15 classes so hopefully TRob can find a couple gems there to step up early. Overall, I think TRob is going to make a BIG difference in the fundamentals, the pursuit angles, the tackling and the aggressiveness of his players.

With respect to the entire defense and as I said last year, just a 20% improvement in this defense to go with the AU offense, will make this a tough team to beat. It didn't happen last year but I think it does this year. A top 40 national defense and a top 7 SEC defense is a realistic goal. Anything above that would be great and icing on the cake.

The defense doesn't have to be THAT much better than it was in 2014 for the team, as a whole, to be awesome. Look at the 2013 defense... it sucked too, but it had 1 ability that the '14 version didn't have.. just keep the other team out of the endzone from time to time... Stats, yards, whatever... keep the other team from scoring just a couple fewer times per game and AU's heading to the CFB.

Muschamp on the sideline glaring at the opposing offenses and cussing up a storm to AU's defense ALONE is probably worth 1-2 touchdown stops.

Archived