NCAA 2014 Attendance

AUmind

http://www.al.com/sp...erence_led.html

Where would JH place if it was expanded?

Please post the article

Which team and conference led the NCAA in football attendance in 2014?

17792835-mmmain.jpeg

Ohio State drew a nation-best 106,296 fans per game to Ohio Stadium in 2014.

The NCAA recently released attendance figures for the 2014 season and the conference that drew the most fans was (drumroll, please) ...

No surprise -- the SEC.

The SEC drew 7,769,362 fans in 2014, a record for all conferences. With an even 100 games, that's an average of 77,694, an SEC record and an increase of just over 2,000 from 2013.

The SEC's total attendance was more than 1 million higher than the second-highest total, the Big Ten's 6,419,447 fans in 96 games, an average of 66,869.

The Big Ten's attendance was led by 2014 national champion Ohio State, which drew a nation-best 744,075 fans to the Horseshoe in 2014, an average of 106,296 per game. That average is more than 1,300 more than Ohio Stadium's listed capacity of 104,944.

The Buckeyes also led in attendance when all games (home, road and neutral-site) are factored in, drawing 1,304,138 fans.

Alabama had the sixth-largest average attendance in 2014 and was one of six schools to average more than 100,00 per game at 101,534. That was good for third in the SEC behind Texas A&M and LSU.

The Crimson Tide's total attendance of 710,736 was fifth in the country, as Texas A&M only played six home games. And Alabama was second only to Ohio State in attendance for all games, as 1,268,385 fans watched the Crimson Tide play in 14 games.

Auburn was 11th overall and sixth in the SEC with an average of 87,451 per game, drawing a total of 612,157 fans.

The top 15:

1. Ohio State (7 home games) -- 744,075 overall, 106,296 average

2. Texas A&M (6 home games) -- 630,735 overall, 105,123 average

3. Michigan (7 home games) -- 734,364 overall, 104,909 average

4. LSU (7 home games) -- 712,063 overall, 101,723 average

5. Penn State (7 home games) -- 711,358 overall, 101,623 average

6. Alabama (7 home games) -- 710,736 overall 101,534 average

7. Tennessee (7 home games) -- 698,276 overall, 99,754 average

8. Texas (6 home games) -- 564,618 overall, 94,103 average

9. Georgia (7 home games) -- 649,222 overall, 92,746 average

10. Nebraska (7 home games) -- 638,744 overall, 91,249 average

11. Auburn (7 home games) -- 612,157 overall, 87,451 average

12. Florida (6 home games) -- 515,001 overall, 85,834 average

13. Oklahoma (6 home games) -- 510,972 overall, 85,162 average

14. Florida State (7 home games) -- 575,478 overall, 82,211 average

15. Clemson (7 home games) -- 572,262 overall, 81,752 average

Auburn was one of seven schools in the top 15 that averaged at or above listed stadium capacity, a list that also included Ohio State, Texas A&M, Georgia, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Clemson. Three other schools, Alabama (-289), LSU (-589) and Florida State (-88), averaged within 1,000 of listed capacity.

In all, FBS football games drew a total of 37,913,238 fans in 2014, an average of 44,603. That average is down by just over 1,000 from 2013.

You can see the full list at fs.ncaa.org.

What I'd like to see is the percent of capacity of each school. just simply measuring by the total attendance is really not the best way to do it. Was it 95% full or 80% or what.

I do not want to go all out, but would like to see us just get above the 95k mark.

Expanding isn't as important to me as just making sure the place is nice and up to date. JHS is one of the most beautiful, fan friendly stadiums in the country. Often, adding more seats takes away from the "fan friendly" part. And the 87k+ family members there now make it one of the hardest road sites, already.

Our listed average attendance of 87,451 is the exact seating capacity of the stadium. That the stadium was completely full for every game simply isn't true, there were several games with notable numbers of empty seats. Maybe the seats were sold and the empty ones were no-shows or maybe someone at Auburn lied to the NCAA. In any case we don't need to expand at all until we can look around and the place is full.

Yup, there is a definite difference between tickets sold and actual butts in the seats. As always, numbers can be manipulated any way you want them to be.

I do not want to go all out, but would like to see us just get above the 95k mark.

Expanding isn't as important to me as just making sure the place is nice and up to date. JHS is one of the most beautiful, fan friendly stadiums in the country. Often, adding more seats takes away from the "fan friendly" part. And the 87k+ family members there now make it one of the hardest road sites, already.

I agree with what you are saying and think the both can be accomplished by adding another $8,000 seats in the North end zone. I don't the initial plans call for expansion as it does just more premium seats, but if the North end zone had a deck. That could add 5,000 easy. Move there press boxes and fill in that area with more premium... Who knows. Just a wish of mine.

I agree with what you are saying and think the both can be accomplished by adding another $8,000 seats in the North end zone. I don't the initial plans call for expansion as it does just more premium seats, but if the North end zone had a deck. That could add 5,000 easy. Move there press boxes and fill in that area with more premium... Who knows. Just a wish of mine.

Who do you know that can afford $8000 seats?!?!???

Our listed average attendance of 87,451 is the exact seating capacity of the stadium. That the stadium was completely full for every game simply isn't true, there were several games with notable numbers of empty seats. Maybe the seats were sold and the empty ones were no-shows or maybe someone at Auburn lied to the NCAA. In any case we don't need to expand at all until we can look around and the place is full.

I agree, I was just thinking if Gus stays long term and wins championships, putting butts in seats may not be an issue.

The top 8 teams all have a stadium with capacity in excess of 100,000. We don't need to expand JHS to over 100,000 for lots of reasons. (The infastructure of the Auburn area can't handle that many people.)

So even if we add a few thousand seats to get in the low 90,000 range, at best we could be 9th. Personally I'd rather us keep capacity close to 87,000, but make the stadium nicer and more fan-friendly, with more premium seats.

The top 8 teams all have a stadium with capacity in excess of 100,000. We don't need to expand JHS to over 100,000 for lots of reasons. (The infastructure of the Auburn area can't handle that many people.)

So even if we add a few thousand seats to get in the low 90,000 range, at best we could be 9th. Personally I'd rather us keep capacity close to 87,000, but make the stadium nicer and more fan-friendly, with more premium seats.

I think that we definitely should do the upgrade on the outside of it and all the rest first. Adding capacity up to around 95,000 wouldn't be a bad thing at some point. It need not be anytime soon. Adding seats just for the sake of it isn't a good idea.

This.

This.

Not saying this isnt true but at a lot of the games i've gone to I see empty seats yet hundreds of people standing on the ramps to the upper deck. Again not saying that we're selling out every game. Also dont want to see JHS go to 100k or anything like that. 90ish sure and brick it in make it look nice. The Jumbotron is a great start as well

Archived