Derrick Moncrief to Transfer

RunInRed

Auburn safety Derrick Moncrief hopes to transfer from the program, he told the Advertiser on Friday morning.

Moncrief said he'd like to play at another FBS program, possibly in the ACC, and playing time is his main motivation.

"I came in as the No. 1 safety in the country and things are just not going well there," Moncrief said. "But Auburn was a good place, I just want to thank them for everything, for them recruiting me, and I wish them the best of luck."

A 6-foot-2, 221-pound senior, Moncrief transferred to Auburn in Jan. 2014 from Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College where he was ranked the No. 1 JUCO safety by 247Sports. The former Prattville Lion played all 13 games for Auburn last season with one start and recorded 27 tackles, with a forced fumble and a pass breakup.

Moncrief, who has one year of eligibility remaining, said he doesn't have a specific destination in mind and will make his decision, "as soon as they give me my release papers."

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/auburnauthority/2015/05/15/derrick-moncrief-hoping-to-transfer-from-auburn/27372187/

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the timing of this weird? I'm just surprised these didn't happen earlier, but maybe my memory is fuzzy on when it usually tends to happen. They've got all summer, I'm sure they'll be fine.

What is up with all of these tranfers lately???

I bet he heads up the road to Clemson.

Tinge of entitlement in his quote. I never like it when players start referencing their rankings as if it somehow makes them more valuable.

Same thoughts here

Tinge of entitlement in his quote. I never like it when players start referencing their rankings as if it somehow makes them more valuable.

Same thoughts here

Yeah, that and his subsequent quotes about coaching kind of sound like, "It's not me, it's you." Maybe he's right, but it's still not a good look.

What is up with all of these tranfers lately???

We're doing some housekeeping. But I'm still curious if this is happening later than usual.

CGM's statement ... also confirms Turner.

"Kamryn, Derrick and Joe have decided to transfer and purse playing opportunities elsewhere. We thank them for their time at Auburn and wish them well in the future," Malzahn said.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/051515aaa.html

Lol @ saying he was #1 safety but couldn't even be a mainstay on the field on the worst defense in AU history WITH a starting safety suspended for almost half of the season

Moncrief said the only restrictions Auburn put on his release are for other SEC teams and anyone on the schedule in the next two years. Auburn plays Louisville to open the upcoming season and hosts Clemson in 2016.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/auburnauthority/2015/05/15/derrick-moncrief-hoping-to-transfer-from-auburn/27372187/

Idk the "#1 safety" thing came off more to me of him justifying leaving for playing time.

I took it more of him saying that out of JUCO, he expected to be able to play/start wherever he went. For whatever reason it hasn't worked out here so he wants to go somewhere else where he has a shot. He doesn't seem to have any hard feelings towards AU from those quotes at least

We were thin at DB to begin with. Turner couldn't make it into rotation I understood that, Kamryn was a little bit of a surprise as I thought he could help some at least with depth but Moncrief surprised me a lot. He played a lot last year and during Spring he appeared to do well and cement his value.

Some Freshmen will need to step up in the fall

It's pretty obvious that Moncrief wanted and wants to play safety. I even remember during Spring practice reading somewhere that he wasn't enthused about moving to LB but that maybe it would be ok. Don't forget, the coaches have had conversations on the concerns of these players before they decide to transfer.

If he wants to play I see no problem with his decision. Didn't get any entitlement from what he said at all. I took it as he may not be able to play here but he's talented enough to play for somebody else

Just because he didn't publically sign off like Kamryn Melton on twitter I see no one wishing him good luck, prayers, best wishes, or "you'll always be an Auburn man"......... :dunno:

If he wants to play I see no problem with his decision. Didn't get any entitlement from what he said at all. I took it as he may not be able to play here but he's talented enough to play for somebody else

I agree. I wish him nothing but the best (except if/when he plays against us).

Moncrief said the only restrictions Auburn put on his release are for other SEC teams and anyone on the schedule in the next two years. Auburn plays Louisville to open the upcoming season and hosts Clemson in 2016.

http://www.montgomer...uburn/27372187/

Well played, Auburn. Well played. Maybe Chizik can use him at UNC?

Archived