Should Auburn award scholarships to walk-ons

WarEagleAU

Auburn were well below the NCAA limit of 85 scholarships with only 80 includes Austin Golson (I think he will be on scholarship). Who will be awarded scholarships by Gus before the season starts?

My guess will be 3 or 4 walk-ons:

Kevin Phillips

Daniel Pond

Lawyer Tillman

Tucker Tuberville (I know he's only RS JR but it might be his final season)

Melvin Ray won't be awarded scholarship because the Dodgers were contractually bound to pay for his education.

Thoughts?

They have to be upperclassmen that have been at AU for (I think) two years or more. Otherwise they count against the annual limit of 25, which won't work for us.

ote name='WarEagleAU' timestamp='1431798896' post='2262394']

Auburn were well below the NCAA limit of 85 scholarships with only 80 includes Austin Golson (I think he will be on scholarship). Who will be awarded scholarships by Gus before the season starts?

My guess will be 3 or 4 walk-ons:

Kevin Phillips

Daniel Pond

Lawyer Tillman

Tucker Tuberville (I know he's only RS JR but it might be his final season)

Melvin Ray won't be awarded scholarship because the Dodgers were contractually bound to pay for his education.

Thoughts?

I always pull for the walk-ons. They love Auburn and make a tremendous sacrifice. But we seldom have any to stay for more than two years. They have satisfied a dream by then and reality starts to set in that they probably will not see the field in a game and priorities begin to change as well. Your list is a good one. Very few would be eligible with the two year minimum. Gray King is also eligible if he returns in the fall. Maybe Stovall too. I for one hope Gus will do it this year. WDE Walk-ons.

Sherwood

Hard to not give a scholly to a guy that'll likely be at worse a 2nd string DB

I hope he will get one but not easy to be awarded because he got 2 or 3 years to play.

They have to be upperclassmen that have been at AU for (I think) two years or more. Otherwise they count against the annual limit of 25, which won't work for us.

Ah, Kevin Phillips won't be qualified. What about 8 EEs that count back toward the previous class?

I always pull for the walk-ons. They love Auburn and make a tremendous sacrifice. But we seldom have any to stay for more than two years. They have satisfied a dream by then and reality starts to set in that they probably will not see the field in a game and priorities begin to change as well. Your list is a good one. Very few would be eligible with the two year minimum. Gray King is also eligible if he returns in the fall. Maybe Stovall too. I for one hope Gus will do it this year. WDE Walk-ons.

Same here. I'm pulling for walk-ons.

Remmber, Auburn has always had a rich history of walk ons who have become All Americans and All Conference players.

I always pull for the Walk On's. Wasn't Kevin Greene and Jason Miska Walk On's?

quote: What about 8 EEs that count back toward the previous class?

All 8 didn't count back. Without digging up old info, I think three counted back and the others counted on 2015. In any case, if the transfer from OSU goes on scholarship later this month as expected, we'll have one carryover slot that can count back and our normal 25 for 2016. Thus a max of 26. It would be an unusual walkon that was offered one of 26 slots.

Almost without exception those late-summer scholarships given to walkons are to seniors that won't count against an annual limit.

I always pull for the Walk On's. Wasn't Kevin Greene and Jason Miska Walk On's?

And Danny Skutack and Bill Newton. No big stars lately, though. We did have a decent WR a few years back that walked on.

If three or four are awarded schollies in the fall it can be a big incentive to maybe signing a few 3* preferred walk-ons next year. They will know there is a chance after two years. These guys to a man love Auburn and will leave it all on the field. And their No. 1 priority is not getting prepared for their pro career.

The thing is , we also have some "invited walk-ons' and seems that for a guy to turn down schollys at other schools to accept an "invite" there must be some kind of implied promise of a scholarship.....and I'm not talking four years out..... half way through his senior year.

The starting center kinda deserves one. I believe he is still considered a walk on.

Haven't most of our long snappers been walk-ons in recent years?

The starting center kinda deserves one. I believe he is still considered a walk on.

No. He will be on full scholarship and counts against last year's annual limit. He goes on as soon as this school term ends, that has been known for quite some time.

The thing is , we also have some "invited walk-ons' and seems that for a guy to turn down schollys at other schools to accept an "invite" there must be some kind of implied promise of a scholarship.....and I'm not talking four years out..... half way through his senior year.

every team has invited walk ons every year, they all have the chance to earn a scholarship at some point, nothing is implied, but the opportunity is given to achieve success.

did not know that. makes sense though.

We've had 3 players to transfer to Auburn from other major teams. Don't y'all think they should be given a scholarship? I believe they should.

OT, Darius James transfer from Texas

CB, Jamel Dean transfer from Ohio State

CB, Blake Countess transfer from Michigan

We've had 3 players to transfer to Auburn from other major teams. Don't y'all think they should be given a scholarship? I believe they should.

The topic of the thread is concerning WALK-ONS not transfers.

not necessarily.

We did not recruit these guys away from their current schools..

Most sports including college football have rules against"tampering" ...and if AU coaches are following them, they are not allowed to make contact with a player at another school unless the player's school gives permission....which I doubt we did in two cases...so AU has no obligation to give a scholarship if it does not want to...or does not have them available.

Of course if the guy is a "graduate" it's open season and AU coaches can offer a scholly....if they think it is necessary to get the kid to attend AU.

Just me, but for transfers and walk-ons, I would prefer to see if they can make it at AU first.

Archived