Former 5* OL Darius James transferring to AU

TitanTiger

Gus has obviously read some panicked posts, and is doing the same. I doubt that he even looked into whether the kid is even any good. Our situation is SO dire, I expect we will soon be taking the remainder of UAB's OL.

A solid pickup for the future.

For those who are wailing about our O-Line woes after next year because they are assuming both Coleman and Young will be leaving, We have a good shot at the number 1 Juco Tackle we will have Leff, Adams, Horton, and Sharp returning at tackle at guard we will have Braden Smith, Diamond, Mix, Carr, and Harrel returning and at Center Golson, and Kim. That will be returning 3 of 5 starters and that is assuming that both actually do leave. I always like to sign a few top O-Linemen every year but with this years crop being down a little we won't be in dire straits if we only get at least 1 good Tackle. It is to early to panic about our O-Line recruiting.

Next year we will need to re-load on the O-Line.

fwiw, the worst semester grades I had by far at Auburn was during the Fall I was recovering from an injury that prevented me from playing soccer. Injury can throw an athlete into major blues and out of the routine of being a STUDENT athlete. Not making excuses for this guy, just my own experience. My grades were excellent before and after the injury & recovery.

"If he couldn't cut it <elsewhere>, he can't cut it at Auburn."

That is severely flawed logic. I won't compare him to Cam, because- as others have pointed out- there might not be any similarities between the two. But I also won't compare a SO/JR in Auburn to a FR/SO in Austin. Whatever contributed to any issues he might have been having at UT- grades, on-field performance, etc.- might not apply to him a year or two later at AU. Remember how the best HS punter in America suddenly couldn't get on the field at Auburn, and then we found out that he was dealing with some pretty intense family stuff that- understandably- affected his commitment to football? I'm not suggesting that anything so dramatic is going on with this James fella, but I do feel confident that nobody who has posted thus far in this thread has any idea why he had trouble at Texas.

And in the time it took me to type all this out, canuck illustrated my point better than I could myself.

We aren't likely to have any solid information abut his academics at Texas, but he will have a year to get serious with the books at Auburn before he takes the field. I'm sure the coaches will make sure he is going to classes and progressing academically. The same applies to his injured knee. He'll have a year to rehab, and at 307 lbs, a year of S&C would not only help with the rehab, but also get him built up for SEC-caliber play.

The real concern for me, as I read these articles about him, is his mental commitment and focus. He was given ample opportunity to play at Texas, and was supposed to be a 5 star athlete, yet he wasn't able to nail down a starting job. Either he just wasn't ready physically to succeed, or he didn't have the work ethic.

Whatever issues this young man has, he might find Auburn less difficult academically, but he sure won't find it less demanding athletically. He better strap on his "want to" if he expects to actually play ball for Auburn.

Very few offensive linemen make it as a starter in their freshmen year and probably even more so at a school that can recruit like Texas.

Sometimes a change is all that is needed. I had an employee that struggled with one of my partners but thrived working with me because my management style fit him better. Same in reverse.

Sometimes the pieces don't fit at one place but do elsewhere

For those who are wailing about our O-Line woes after next year because they are assuming both Coleman and Young will be leaving, We have a good shot at the number 1 Juco Tackle we will have Leff, Adams, Horton, and Sharp returning at tackle at guard we will have Braden Smith, Diamond, Mix, Carr, and Harrel returning and at Center Golson, and Kim. That will be returning 3 of 5 starters and that is assuming that both actually do leave. I always like to sign a few top O-Linemen every year but with this years crop being down a little we won't be in dire straits if we only get at least 1 good Tackle. It is to early to panic about our O-Line recruiting.

Yep. And the ground work on this is being done. AU is on most of the top OL's next year.

Yep. And the ground work on this is being done. AU is on most of the top OL's next year.

+1

Not at all to be contentious, but we have said things very similar to this about DL this current class.

Not at all to be contentious, but we have said things very similar to this about DL this current class.

To be fair I don't think those people saw the megapower efects of what Pruitt & Rock would do together.

Yup. That's why "we" should never make assumptions. Things are always fluid. It is beyond me how that never sinks in for folks who follow this sport closely year after year.

• 1 month later...

Kid was the number 1 ranked guard in his class. This could work out great for us.

He won't play next year but he will play year after along with the top O-Line player that committed to us a couple of weeks ago that everybody thought was FSU bound. So we will have two great tackles with potential to start in 2 years. So I think 1 or 2 good Tackles this year and we should be fine

He won't play next year but he will play year after along with the top O-Line player that committed to us a couple of weeks ago that everybody thought was FSU bound. So we will have two great tackles with potential to start in 2 years. So I think 1 or 2 good Tackles this year and we should be fine

Make that 3 because Braden Smith will still be on roster as well as hopefully Austin Golson if he doesn't absolutely crush it this year. I believe he is technically a 3rd year. So Ashley, James, Smith, Golson and fill in name here. All really high 4* recruits or 5*. That is an Oline I think no one wants to play.

Make that 3 because Braden Smith will still be on roster as well as hopefully Austin Golson if he doesn't absolutely crush it this year. I believe he is technically a 3rd year. So Ashley, James, Smith, Golson and fill in name here. All really high 4* recruits or 5*. That is an Oline I think no one wants to play.

Kim maybe.

Archived