Former 5* OL Darius James transferring to AU

TitanTiger

Per 24/7 Sports, Darius James is transferring from Texas to Auburn. He will have to sit out a year per NCAA rules.

A former consensus five-star prospect, James was the highest-rated member of the Longhorn's 2013 recruiting class as the No. 34 prospect, the No. 1 offensive guard, and the No. 5 player in Texas. His future looked uncertain ever since head coach Charlie Strong said during the spring that he wasn't with the team for academic reasons.

The 6'4, 304-pounder appeared in six games during the 2014 season, including starts at right tackle against Baylor and Oklahoma before he fell out of favor and didn't play against Iowa State. An injury to starting right guard Kent Perkins forced him into action against Kansas State, but he didn't play in the next game against Texas Tech, then suffered a knee injury that ultimately caused him to miss the rest of the season.

http://www.burntoran...texas-longhorns

Hudl Highlights (High School)

usa-today-8140793.0.jpg

This sets us up well for 2016 assuming guys like Shon Coleman and Avery Young make the jump to the NFL after 2015. Huge get.

I love this staff's willingness to take transfers and JUCOs.

I could be wrong and somebody correct me if I am. I believe after he sits for 1 year, he will have 3 to play 3.

I could be wrong and somebody correct me if I am. I believe after he sits for 1 year, he will have 3 to play 3.

He will be a fourth-year junior. So 2 to play 2.

He will be a fourth-year junior. So 2 to play 2.

This seems right. Will burn what would be his rs soph year and will be eligible for his rs junior and senior years.

Well, there's a lot of upside to this and I think it's worth a shot. Not "boom" worthy for me, but could pan out to be a great pick up later. Welcome to AU sir!

Nice resume' but the transfer raises a lot of questions.

Well, there's a lot of upside to this and I think it's worth a shot. Not "boom" worthy for me, but could pan out to be a great pick up later. Welcome to AU sir!

Hard to disagree with any of the above.

Anyone have any information on the grades issue?

The chances of us getting that answer is slim. It could be a legit reason or it could be an "excuse" the coach used to let him go.

Just curious, if he didn't have the grades for UT, how does he have them for AU?

I have the same question. We may never know the truth

I know its different for athletes, but academically UT is a better school than Auburn.

Just curious, if he didn't have the grades for UT, how does he have them for AU?

I have the same question. We may never know the truth

We don't know he didn't have the grades at the end of the semester.

I agree with the last post. UT is better than AU academically, and there is no real comparison.

Any scholarship athlete that can make passing grades at Auburn can make passing grades at Texas. These guys don't have to take courses that define the tops in academia.

If he can't cut it at Texas, he won't cut it at Auburn. About actual grades, the privacy act pretty much guarantees that nobody outside of the university will ever know, and those in the university that do know better not tell.

There has been a mass exit of offensive lineman from Texas, I am guessing it is slightly PR related on Texas' behalf, otherwise Gus would not have even made the effort.

Archived