BREAKING: Grand Jury indicts 6 Baltimore police officers in Freddie Gray case

TitanTiger

Just hitting Twitter and headlines on news sites. Links forthcoming.

Grand jury finds sufficient probable cause to charge all 6 officers. They're scheduled to be arraigned July 2. @baltimoresun

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reckless endangerment charges added. False imprisonment charges dropped. Evidently the knife was illegal in Baltimore (though not under Maryland state law).

I thought they were already charged. And that the knife was legal.

Huh.

Huh.

They were charged by the prosecutor. But they still had to go before a grand jury to see if they would be indicted and sent to trial. That happened today.

The knife was legal under Maryland law but Baltimore has a broader definition of what constitutes an illegal knife. So it wasn't a switchblade but was still illegal once that was cleared up. Thus the dropping of the false arrest charges. The rest of the charges all stood with reckless endangerment added.

BALTIMORE (WJZ/AP)—City State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby said a grand jury has indicted all six officers in the the Freddie Gray’s death.

Six officers were charged on May 1, following the death of Freddie Gray–Mosby calling the arrest illegal.

She also announced that reckless endangerment was added to the charges against the officers and the charges of false imprisonment was removed.

Here’s an updated list of the charges:

charges-2.jpg?w=420&h=560

charges.jpg?w=470&h=627

Mosby announced the charges, which range from second-degree misdemeanor assault to “depraved-heart” murder, in a lengthy news conference one day after receiving an investigative report from police...

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/05/21/city-states-atty-to-speak-on-freddie-gray-case/

I'm no big city pizza lawyer, but I'd think the 'false imprisonment ' charge being tossed out is bit of egg on the face of the prosecutor.

I'm no big city pizza lawyer, but I'd think the 'false imprisonment ' charge being tossed out is bit of egg on the face of the prosecutor.

Maybe. I don't think it's going to amount to a hill of beans. There was some confusion over whether the knife was illegal or not, which was the entire reason for his arrest. It was cleared up and she dropped the charge. I doubt its the first time something like that has ever happened.

Maybe. I don't think it's going to amount to a hill of beans. There was some confusion over whether the knife was illegal or not, which was the entire reason for his arrest. It was cleared up and she dropped the charge. I doubt its the first time something like that has ever happened.

The " confusion " only leads to reinforce the view that the prosecutor, in a grand political move, rushed to bring charges, resulting in a sloppy and weak case.

The " confusion " only leads to reinforce the view that the prosecutor, in a grand political move, rushed to bring charges, resulting in a sloppy and weak case.

Only if one is predisposed to assuming such. Charges get dropped/added/changed fairly regularly in cases prior to indictment. It's not some exceedingly rare bird.

Unfortunately for these guys, there isn't much to be confused about on the rest of the charges.

Story posted:

Six Baltimore Police officers were indicted Thursday on various charges related to the arrest and death of Freddie Gray.

Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn J. Mosby announced the indictments at a late-afternoon news conference at her downtown office.

The indictments came nearly three weeks after Mosby announced criminal charges against the officers. Some charges were slightly different than what Mosby announced on May 1. The grand jury review is a procedural step to move the case forward to a higher court, from District Court to Baltimore City Circuit Court.

New charges included reckless endangerment, while charges of false imprisonment were removed by the grand jury.

Officer Caesar R. Goodson, the driver of the van used to transport Gray on April 12, remains charged with second-degree depraved heart murder, which is the most serious charge among all six officers. He was also charged with manslaughter, second-degree assault, vehicular manslaughter -- gross negligence, vehicular manslaughter -- criminal negligence, misconduct in office and reckless endangerment, which is a new charge.

Lt. Brian W. Rice was charged with manslaughter, second-degree assault, two counts of misconduct in office and reckless endangerment. A second-degree assault charge and false imprisonment charge Rice had been facing were removed.

Sgt. Alicia D. White was charged with manslaughter, second-degree assault, misconduct in office and reckless endangerment, which is a new charge.

Officer William Porter was charged with manslaughter, second-degree assault, misconduct in office and reckless endangerment, which is a new charge.

Officer Garrett E. Miller was charged with second-degree assault, two counts of misconduct in office and reckless endangerment. A second-degree assault charge and false imprisonment charge were removed.

Officer Edward M. Nero was charged with second-degree assault, two counts of misconduct in office and reckless endangerment. A second-degree assault charge and false imprisonment charge were removed.

All six officers have been free on bail.

Gray, 25, died on April 19, a week after suffering a severe spinal cord injury in police custody. His death set off weeks of protests and later riots that prompted Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake to declare a curfew for the city and Gov. Larry Hogan to declare a state of emergency and deploy in the National Guard.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/freddie-gray/bs-md-freddie-gray-officer-indictments-20150521-story.html

Some links on charges changing before the Grand Jury is given the case:

Keep in mind that prosecutors' initial charges are subject to change. For example, a prosecutor may not make a final decision on what charges to file until after a preliminary hearing, which may take place more than a month after arrest.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/charged-with-crime-how-29677.html

Prosecutors generally file criminal charges or not within 3 days, although in some jurisdictions in as few as 2 days. Because prosecutors must file so quickly, the crime you are charged with initially may change significantly over time.

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-law-basics/what-happens-when-you-re-charged-with-a-crime.html

Q: Can the DA change the charge after an arrest but before an indictment based on the evidence they have?

A: Absolutely. An effective lawyer may be able to influence the DA's indictment decision before the case is sent to a grand jury. This is especially true if they have good relationships with the prosecutors, I.e. prosecutors will actually listen to them. Once the decision is made, an effective lawyer may be able to secure a "no-bill" on the indictment, and the case goes away. Many of us defense lawyers in town offer free consultations. Call and meet with a few then hire the one you best believe can help.

A: Mr. Akers is right. And the DA is suppose to indict based on the evidence they have. I've seen many times where someone is arrested and booked on one charge only to see the indictment charge something else. It all depends on the facts.

A: Yes, it happens all the time. Often times charges are not filed because a lawyer intervened on behalf of a client.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/can-the-da-change-the-charge-after-an-arrest-but-b-2041288.html

Only if one is predisposed to assuming such. Charges get dropped/added/changed fairly regularly in cases prior to indictment. It's not some exceedingly rare bird.

Unfortunately for these guys, there isn't much to be confused about on the rest of the charges.

Many DID predispose to assuming this, because it's true. Such a grand case takes time to investigate and interview suspects and witnesses, and this prosecutor had no where near the time to do any of that.

It was a rush to judgement, and over charging, to appease a hostile electorate.

But, we shall see.

Many DID predispose to assuming this, because it's true. Such a grand case takes time to investigate and interview suspects and witnesses, and this prosecutor had no where near the time to do any of that.

It was a rush to judgement, and over charging, to appease a hostile electorate.

But, we shall see.

Wrong, as the links I provided show (I could have provided many, many more it's so common). They have to file charges rather quickly. The charges often change before the case goes to the grand jury once they've had time to sift through the evidence in more depth.

Sorry, your narrative is bogus.

It's not my narrative.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/police-attorney-never-seen-such-a-rush-to-file-charges/vp-BBj2NGb

Yeah yeah, it's the opinion of the defense lawyer. Grain of salt, etc...

Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby — the embattled young prosecutor whose quick announcement of serious charges against the “Baltimore Six” police officers came as a surprise to many legal experts — is coming under fresh fire for her actions. Two veteran prosecutors claim Mosby’s criminal filings against the Baltimore Six have produced “disastrous consequences.”

Writing in The Baltimore Sun, a former federal prosecutor in Maryland and a former official in the Justice Department have penned a scathing critique of Mosby’s perceived “rush to judgment” that they charge has corrupted the legal process and condemned otherwise good police officers.

Announcing the charges against six police officers after a week of protests, Ms. Mosby appears to have been driven by the politics of the moment rather than the strength of the evidence, oddly proclaiming to the youth of the city that “our time is now.” Ms. Mosby’s decision to subordinate her duty to do justice as a prosecutor to her role as a politician had two disastrous consequences.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/boom-prosecutor-of-baltimore-six-utterly-destroyed-as-disastrous-two-bit-political-hack/

Shocker. An ultraconservative opinion site thinks it was political. Utah Salt Flats and all...

It is a regular thing for charges to change between initial charges and indictment. And it's not even certain that the knife was definitely illegal. A prosecutor sometimes changes or drops a charge simply if they think the evidence is borderline or not strong enough. But believe me, false arrest was the least of these officers' worries.

It's the narrative you've adopted and you'll apparently cling to anything to believe it.

As if your view needed reinforcement. :rolleyes:

Very true...it happens all the time in the legal process

Don't tell Raptor. He's got it cemented into his head that the prosecutor practically broke her neck, risking life and limb running to file charges so fast that she barely looked at any of the evidence. And the fact that this charge got dropped and reckless endangerment added is the PROOF!

Don't tell Raptor. He's got it cemented into his head that the prosecutor practically broke her neck, risking life and limb running to file charges so fast that she barely looked at any of the evidence. And the fact that this charge got dropped and reckless endangerment added is the PROOF!

Wrong, Titan.

I'M not the one who is convinced, As I've shown you, it was others who thought that.

" Writing in The Baltimore Sun, a former federal prosecutor in Maryland and a former official in the Justice Department have penned a scathing critique of Mosby's perceived "rush to judgment" that they charge has corrupted the legal process and condemned otherwise good police officers."

And yet oddly, you turn it into some sort of pissing context. I really don't care.

So I see. I can appreciate how you often have objectivity and basically just present the facts instead of taking a side from the jump. That's how i choose to approach things. Everyone certainly has a right to their opinions but it's always interesting to read comments that some will stick to their side no matter what information/evidence is presented that totally disputes their points.

We'll just have to see how this situation plays out. I have a feeling that some deals will be reached. I don't have a feeling that all 6 will be in one accord but we shall see. Overall it's a sad world we live in with all the violence going on.

Huh.

They were charged by the prosecutor. But they still had to go before a grand jury to see if they would be indicted and sent to trial. That happened today.

The knife was legal under Maryland law but Baltimore has a broader definition of what constitutes an illegal knife. So it wasn't a switchblade but was still illegal once that was cleared up. Thus the dropping of the false arrest charges. The rest of the charges all stood with reckless endangerment added.

Mosby has been catching heat for everything she's done so far. She was warned by defense attorneys that the knife in question was illegal in Baltimore. She publicly denied the knife was illegal, but someone changed what was presented to the grand jury and the arrest became legal.

http://chippewa.com/news/national/baltimore-prosecutors-in-freddie-gray-case-seek-gag-order/article_7bc2dc5c-a0fd-5910-a7f5-f99da3961e31.html

Huh.

Mosby has been catching heat for everything she's done so far. She was warned by defense attorneys that the knife in question was illegal in Baltimore. She publicly denied the knife was illegal, but someone changed what was presented to the grand jury and the arrest became legal.

http://chippewa.com/news/national/baltimore-prosecutors-in-freddie-gray-case-seek-gag-order/article_7bc2dc5c-a0fd-5910-a7f5-f99da3961e31.html

i stood up for the arresting officers. You can't back brutality in a van if that is where it occurred. The arguments i got here were he should not have been chased or arrested. The prosecutor's case will keep falling apart. I don't know how many cops were in the vehicle but i know all these charges can't stick. It was political whether we admit it or not.

Wrong, Titan

Writing in The Baltimore Sun, a former federal prosecutor in Maryland and a former official in the Justice Department have penned a scathing critique of Mosby's perceived "rush to judgment" that they charge has corrupted the legal process and condemned otherwise good police officers.

A prosecutor comes to the defense of officers he once had to work alongside to build cases? Nooooo... This certainly changes EVERYTHING...

Raise your hand if you're surprised at what raptor is arguing about.....anybody? No? Not really? Ok

Archived