Cleveland officer Michael Brelo found not guilty in fatal shooting of two people

137 shots fired at two people because the cops mistook a car backfiring for a gunshot. More evidence that we do not have justice for the badged in this country, and that badgeless lives don't seem to matter all that much.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/cleveland-police-officer-found-not-guilty-in-fatal-shooting-of-two-people/2015/05/23/280844f0-f028-11e4-a55f-38924fca94f9_story.html

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a four-week trial, a judge found officer Michael Brelo, 31, not guity ...

SSDD

At least everyone got home safe. :-\

Government judge rules government agent not guilty. Case closed. How silly of me to question the rationale.

Government judge rules government agent not guilty. Case closed. How silly of me to question the rationale.

Business as usual

How do you determine which one of 23 shots to hit a man were the fatal ones? There is misconduct all over the place here to be sure. The guy had no business doing what he did but at the same time, you have to prove he fired the fatal shot. Good luck with that. I don't buy the judge saying he was justified because of the circumstances of the chase. He could and, IMO, should have been convicted of a lesser charge like assault at least. I see multiple civil suits and frankly civil rights trials are probably in order.

Another case where the DOJ can't accept the verdict and will "pursue all legal options." And the protestors hit the street.. How can you convict the guy with NO substanial evidence? If the victims had been white this would have likely never have gone to trial.

"Russell and Williams were killed Nov. 29, 2012, after they led 62 police vehicles on a chase across Cleveland."

"Russell and Williams were killed Nov. 29, 2012, after they led 62 police vehicles on a chase across Cleveland."

"Comply or die"

"Comply or die"

it is possible. You never know when a backfire might incite gun fire from the 62 units you are eluding.

"Comply or die"

it is possible. You never know when a backfire might incite gun fire from the 62 units you are eluding.

"Keep your car in working order or die."

How do you determine which one of 23 shots to hit a man were the fatal ones? There is misconduct all over the place here to be sure. The guy had no business doing what he did but at the same time, you have to prove he fired the fatal shot. Good luck with that. I don't buy the judge saying he was justified because of the circumstances of the chase. He could and, IMO, should have been convicted of a lesser charge like assault at least. I see multiple civil suits and frankly civil rights trials are probably in order.

Reasonable. I just hate to think what that might incentivize- its almost as if you're telling cops "if you're going to misbehave, make sure you all do it, and go crazy, so no one can pinpoint exactly who fired the fatal shot." The DOJ should make an example out of that department.

"Comply or die"

how about " never run or many bad things can happen"?

Just watched the reconstruction clip in the original Washington Post link, and I'm surprised no cops were hit by their own crossfire.

I have no law enforcement training nor any gun experience, but it sure looks like poor fire control, excessive shots fired, and a danger to other officers as well as innocent civilian bystanders to me. 137 shots, often with fellow officers just across the street down range?!?

quietfan.....I agree with the big picture. It is crazy. But no one seems to answer the question of why one officer was charged and no one else.

quietfan.....I agree with the big picture. It is crazy. But no one seems to answer the question of why one officer was charged and no one else.

Jumping onto the hood of the car and unloading a clip in through the windshield at unarmed suspects doesn't really look good.

"Comply or die"

"Comply or die"

You're seriously excusing the officers' conduct in this situation by blaming the victim. I understand your need to defend the police, but this was inexcusable. 137 shots. :no:

"Comply or die"

"Comply or die"

You're seriously excusing the officers' conduct in this situation by blaming the victim. I understand your need to defend the police, but this was inexcusable. 137 shots. :no:/>

not excusing anything. Pointing out how you can avoid playing a part in your own death. It's rather simple really.

Archived