SEC baseball tournament ...finals

Anybody else surprised by the number of home runs hit during the tournament this week?

It's been a 'given' that teams can't win with power in Hoover. The walls have been brought in a bit but I've seem some home...runs including one about 5 minutes ago by the Florida lead off batter that would have been out of any ML park...with room to spare.

So what's going on?.....new ball, bigger hitters or ????

Anybody else surprised by the number of home runs hit during the tournament this week?

It's been a 'given' that teams can't win with power in Hoover. The walls have been brought in a bit but I've seem some home...runs including one about 5 minutes ago by the Florida lead off batter that would have been out of any ML park...with room to spare.

The BESR bats ruined the need for sound hitting fundamentals. When the BBCOR bats were mandated in 2011 the bastard children of the old "electric bat" era had to be flushed out of the system. Those guys didn't need to know how to hit. Over the last four years the high school kids on the way up learned how to hit with a "normalized" bat, which plays like wood. Coincidentally most of the summer travel tournaments (Perfect Game, et al) began to play almost exclusively with wood. Four years of cultivation, watering and good old hard work has grown a nice new crop of hitters. That's my view on it...for what it's worth.

The BESR bats ruined the need for sound hitting fundamentals. When the BBCOR bats were mandated in 2011 the bastard children of the old "electric bat" era had to be flushed out of the system. Those guys didn't need to know how to hit. Over the last four years the high school kids on the way up learned how to hit with a "normalized" bat, which plays like wood. Coincidentally most of the summer travel tournaments (Perfect Game, et al) began to play almost exclusively with wood. Four years of cultivation, watering and good old hard work has grown a nice new crop of hitters. That's my view on it...for what it's worth.

Thanks....however it has happened, it's fun to see....Dansby gave everyone a lesson on power hitting for this tournament....hope Sunny can find a few guys that can do that next year.....though no reason why Robert and Murphy should not display more power than we saw this year.

Archived