Aborting Potential Gay Babies Choice or Bigotry?

Weegle777

Since science has found the "gay gene", if a couple had their baby's DNA examined and the test showed that the baby had the "gay gene", and they chose to abort the child because they wanted a straight baby, is this just simply their choice or is this a case for bigotry?

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/gay-gene-discovery-suggests-sexual-orientation-not-choice-1436389

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well really it's both. It's their choice and their choice also reeks of bigotry. I have a little girl and I would love her no matter what decisions she makes down the road, either personally or through genetic predisposition.

So in this case, is abortion wrong or is it fine since it is their choice? Plus, it's not really a human so the reason wouldn't be a bigoted reason correct? You can't be bigoted toward an inanimate object correct?

So in this case, is abortion wrong or is it fine since it is their choice?

I was going to ask a similar question lol.

If it's not a human life can they still be bigots? Am I a bigot if I throw a tree limb out of my yard because someone told me it looks gay?

Someone that bigoted would not believe the science behind it anyway.

People believe the science behind the test for downs syndrome don't they?

i have never heard anyone argue that downs syndrome was a choice.

It's a lifestyle, and one I don't agree with.

And no one has said that here either. People have the choice of aborting a baby with downs though.

And no one has said that here either. People have the choice of aborting a baby with downs though.

you are missing my point.

If bigots believed homosexuality was predetermined they would not be bigots.

well then spell out what they would be...

If bigots believed homosexuality was predetermined they would not be bigots.

well then spell out what they would be...

normal, logical thinkers and some might even come out of the closet.

From the opening link:

While the findings revealed genetics accounted for around 30% to 40% of a man's sexuality, the rest was based on social and environmental factors.

He added: "Although this could one day lead to a pre-natal test for male sexual orientation, it would not be very accurate, as there are other factors that can influence the outcome."

He said: "The thing that's consistent is that they all point to sexual orientation being something fundamental to a person rather than the lifestyle choice some opponents of equality repeatedly suggest."

It seems obvious to me that fetus selection based on sexual orientation is prejudice, just as selection based on eye color, blood type, or race would be.

As for what that means in terms of abortion rights, I can't answer, as I don't know when human life begins. But I wouldn't deny abortion choice to all simply because some might use it for petty discrimination.

From the opening link:

While the findings revealed genetics accounted for around 30% to 40% of a man's sexuality, the rest was based on social and environmental factors.

He added: "Although this could one day lead to a pre-natal test for male sexual orientation, it would not be very accurate, as there are other factors that can influence the outcome."

He said: "The thing that's consistent is that they all point to sexual orientation being something fundamental to a person rather than the lifestyle choice some opponents of equality repeatedly suggest."

It seems obvious to me that fetus selection based on sexual orientation is prejudice, just as selection based on eye color, blood type, or race would be.

As for what that means in terms of abortion rights, I can't answer, as I don't know when human life begins. But I wouldn't deny abortion choice to all simply because some might use it for petty discrimination.

Would it be discrimination? Afterall, it isn't a human being so you can't discriminate against an inanimate object correct?

From the opening link:

Would it be discrimination? Afterall, it isn't a human being so you can't discriminate against an inanimate object correct?

Again, I don't know when or if a fetus becomes a human being, and could not tell anyone else. Therefore I choose to leave that determination up to the mother, her conscience and her beliefs, hopefully with good advice from others.

But I don't know if it is correct to say one cannot discriminate against inanimate objects. The Nazis (and others) burned books out of prejudice, many people discriminate against religions and their physical symbols ("I don't want a mosque in my neighborhood", "Wicca shouldn't qualify for tax exemption", "I am offended by the Nativity Scene across the street", etc.), and people often boycott products based on bias, personal prejudice, or political agenda. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but it certainly might be considered discrimination against an inanimate object.

So I don't have a simple answer to your questions, but I respect your right to ask them.

From the opening link:

Anything not human is an inanimate object?

Is the discrimination you are proposing based on the fetus to begin with? Or, is it based on the belief that homosexuals are somehow less than human or, at the very least, undesirable humans?

From the opening link:

Anything not human is an inanimate object?

Is the discrimination you are proposing based on the fetus to begin with? Or, is it based on the belief that homosexuals are somehow less than human or, at the very least, undesirable humans?

That is close. What I am asking is would it be considered bigotry if the parents found out that their child has the "gay gene" and then aborted the child? Would that be offensive in the mind of a pro-abortion believer, or would it just be simply, a choice?

Since science has found the "gay gene", if a couple had their baby's DNA examined and the test showed that the baby had the "gay gene", and they chose to abort the child because they wanted a straight baby, is this just simply their choice or is this a case for bigotry?

http://www.ibtimes.c...-choice-1436389

You've managed to combine two hot button topics, homosexuality & abortion. Allow me to introduce a third: designer babies. http://www.bionetonline.org/english/content/db_cont1.htm For the far-sighted parents who think about these topics in a timely fashion, it's now possible to "weed out" undesirable genes without resorting to abortion!

http://www.ibtimes.c...-choice-1436389

You've managed to combine two hot button topics, homosexuality & abortion. Allow me to introduce a third: designer babies. http://www.bionetonline.org/english/content/db_cont1.htm For the far-sighted parents who think about these topics in a timely fashion, it's now possible to "weed out" undesirable genes without resorting to abortion!

Ok, in that same vein, would it be discrimination to weed out the gay gene or just a choice?

Also, if this gene was found in the test subjects to reveal a 30-40% guarantee that the subjects would be gay, shouldn't this gene be found in all gay people? And, what about the other 60-70%? What about gay people that don't have this gene? Are they gay because of a choice?

Would that be offensive in the mind of a pro-abortion believer, or would it just be simply, a choice?

You would have to ask someone who is "pro-abortion".

I don't know anyone that is pro-abortion. I know of people who are opposed to ALL abortion, even in cases of rape/incest. I know of people who make an exception for rape/incest. And I know people who would prefer abortions didn't take place, but believe it is up to the mother to decide. But I've never met or heard of anyone who liked abortion or promoted it...i.e., "pro" abortion. If I should meet such a person, I'll be sure to ask your question and get back to you with their answer.

Also, if this gene was found in the test subjects to reveal a 30-40% guarantee that the subjects would be gay, shouldn't this gene be found in all gay people? And, what about the other 60-70%? What about gay people that don't have this gene? Are they gay because of a choice?

From you own linked article: ""The thing that's consistent is that they all point to sexual orientation being something fundamental to a person rather than the lifestyle choice some opponents of equality repeatedly suggest."

Archived