Dominos pushes back against menu rules from FDA

The FDA in its infinite wisdom decided that restaurants should post a board in their establishment telling what the calorie content of each item on the menu is. Some people are pushing back thank goodness. This is the kind of nonsense we get from these federal agencies that can't resist the urge to control every single aspect of our life. http://freebeacon.com/issues/dominos-customers-call-obamacare-reg-obnoxious-costly-annoying/

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The FDA in its infinite wisdom decided that restaurants should post a board in their establishment telling what the calorie content of each item on the menu is. Some people are pushing back thank goodness. This is the kind of nonsense we get from these federal agencies that can't resist the urge to control every single aspect of our life. http://freebeacon.com/issues/dominos-customers-call-obamacare-reg-obnoxious-costly-annoying/

I don't mind agencies making sure we have good clean food to eat ... But then again, eating at restaurants with minimum passing scores has never been a hobby of mine.

The FDA in its infinite wisdom decided that restaurants should post a board in their establishment telling what the calorie content of each item on the menu is. Some people are pushing back thank goodness. This is the kind of nonsense we get from these federal agencies that can't resist the urge to control every single aspect of our life. http://freebeacon.co...ostly-annoying/

I don't mind agencies making sure we have good clean food to eat ... But then again, eating at restaurants with minimum passing scores has never been a hobby of mine.

Health dept. inspections are done by the county or city and are a totally different animal from menus listing the calorie count of each item on that menu.

The FDA in its infinite wisdom decided that restaurants should post a board in their establishment telling what the calorie content of each item on the menu is. Some people are pushing back thank goodness. This is the kind of nonsense we get from these federal agencies that can't resist the urge to control every single aspect of our life. http://freebeacon.co...ostly-annoying/

Health dept. inspections are done by the county or city and are a totally different animal from menus listing the calorie count of each item on that menu.

Calorie counts in diets can definitely affect the health of the populations. Generally speaking, I am for transparency in most areas of policy, also. I won't eat at a restaurant that won't list the basic information such as calorie counts.

i don't mind making that info available, but mandating that such things be posted ? Too much.

i don't mind making that info available, but mandating that such things be posted ? Too much.

The people have the right to know imo.

I completely agree. And without mandating it, fast food places are simply less likely to post this information because it hurts their business. It's no different than mandating that nutrition facts be placed on a package of potato chips.

No, there IS no " right " to know. Would it be nice or helpful ? Sure. And most restaurants already DO have that information available. At least, national chain ones do. But to then micromanage them even more and tell them they MUST post such things ? What follows will be which font must be used, how large it must be, what color it has to be printed in, etc...

Not the proper function of govt,

No, there IS no " right " to know. Would it be nice or helpful ? Sure. And most restaurants already DO have that information available. At least, national chain ones do. But to then micromanage them even more and tell them they MUST post such things ? What follows will be which font must be used, how large it must be, what color it has to be printed in, etc...

Not the proper function of govt,

Precisely. That line of thinking that the federal government should do this is why things are the way they are in this country. If you're going to McDonalds or Dominos, you already know you're not getting health food. Let's not kid ourselves here.

I don't think this is a huge deal, but I don't know that calorie count should be mandated. Pepperoni is fattening. Sausage is fattening. Pizza is not a health food. If you don't know what's in your pizza, who ordered it for you? Talk to them. I'm leery of the federal agencies getting uptight about this.

I see no problem especially for dominos. They admit only 1.5% of orders come from menus inside the store anyway. So post it. I also agree it may not make a difference for many people.

I see no problem especially for dominos. They admit only 1.5% of orders come from menus inside the store anyway. So post it. I also agree it may not make a difference for many people.

They post it online. They don't need to put it in the stores. This is an added expense that will be passed on to the consumer, just like every other lame brained idea that comes from the clueless in Washington.

I don't think this is a huge deal, but I don't know that calorie count should be mandated. Pepperoni is fattening. Sausage is fattening. Pizza is not a health food. If you don't know what's in your pizza, who ordered it for you? Talk to them. I'm leery of the federal agencies getting uptight about this.

Everyone knows pizza is fattening. Everyone knows tobacco can cause health problems as well. Both should still have the appropriate disclaimers. At the very least, it protects the firm from liability. I mean we do live in a "coffee is hot" world today.

They post it online. They don't need to put it in the stores. This is an added expense that will be passed on to the consumer, just like every other lame brained idea that comes from the clueless in Washington.

expense of a poster taped on the wall of info they already know? you are exaggerating this.

expense of a poster taped on the wall of info they already know? you are exaggerating this.

Then start your own pizza chain and you do it.

It's not A poster in A store. The cost of putting all this on a poster and distributing it all across the country to every store , regardless of what % it cuts into the net, is too much. Why ? Because it's totally unnecessary.

Dominoes went into business to make pizzas. Not posters.

It's not A poster in A store. The cost of putting all this on a poster and distributing it all across the country to every store , regardless of what % it cuts into the net, is too much. Why ? Because it's totally unnecessary.

BS they have tons of shat posted all over the place now, in every restaurant. kinkos or Xerox would charge about a buck apiece.. Cost is not the problem.

BS they have tons of shat posted all over the place now, in every restaurant. kinkos or Xerox would charge about a buck apiece.. Cost is not the problem.

I doubt the cost of a poster is the issue. Putting the calorie count on a meat lovers pizza is the problem lol.

Added expense... posting a piece of paper or *gasp* a cardboard sign with letters on it.

We can't post personal attacks here so let me say, this POST is one of the dumbest on these boards.

It's not a poster Alex. It would take up an entire wall in a Dominos to list the calorie content of EVERY single ingredient they have. That is the requirement here. Dominos has 34 millions possible combinations for pizza. Pizza hut has 2 billion. Now do you think you can get all of that on a single poster? Did you even watch the video in there? This is estimated to cost 1.7 billion for compliance industry wide and that's probably low.

How about the FDA ban some of the crap allowed in food that other countries banned or make them post warning labels on the package.

That would be more beneficial than worrying about calories.

Added expense... posting a piece of paper or *gasp* a cardboard sign with letters on it.

We can't post personal attacks here so let me say, this POST is one of the dumbest on these boards.

Watch the damn video. Do any of you have any sense at all?

What an horrific overreach to provide information so people can make informed decisions about what they choose to eat.

It isn't any business of the FDA to be worrying about things like this. We have millions of these very type edicts coming down from on high all the time and it's strangling the economy. I'm sick and tired of the nannies in Washington treating people like they can't make an decision on their own, that they can't live their own life without some "smart" person telling them how to do every little thing.

What an horrific overreach to provide information so people can make informed decisions about what they choose to eat.

It isn't any business of the FDA to be worrying about things like this. We have millions of these very type edicts coming down from on high all the time and it's strangling the economy. I'm sick and tired of the nannies in Washington treating people like they can't make an decision on their own, that they can't live their own life without some "smart" person telling them how to do every little thing.

Nobody is telling you what to eat. Just giving folks info on their choices.

:laugh:

They have ADVERTISING posters! To SELL PIZZAS ( and what ever the hell else they sell now )

Nutrition posters aren't gonna get any return on their money. Hell, if anything, they'll be a net loss.

It'll drive folks away from buying deserts and what not. Good grief.

Archived