AU will not claim any more national titles

ellitor

LINK

Auburn has no plans to claim more national championships in football after exploring the possibility during a year-long study within the athletics department.

Athletics director Jay Jacobs told AL.com Friday the school will continue to claim only two national titles -- 1957 and 2010 -- after discussing over the last year whether to recognize championship teams in 1910, 1913, 1914, 1983, 1993 and 2004 with banners or markings inside and outside Jordan-Hare Stadium.

"We've earned what we've earned and people can count it different ways, but we've earned what we've earned," Jacobs said. "Those players on those teams, like me in 1983, it doesn't matter if you hang a banner or not. I know what we did."

The NCAA record book, along with a host of others, lists Auburn as a national champion in 1913, 1957, 1983, 1993 and 2010.

A committee headed by Auburn chief marketing officer Ward Swift sought feedback from former players, coaches and fans in the fall on whether to claim national titles. Jacobs, an offensive lineman on the Tigers' 1983 team, was not a member of the committee.

In the hours leading up to the Tigers' 34-31 loss to Florida State in the BCS National Championship in January 2014, Jacobs told AL.com the athletics department was contemplating whether to recognize more titles.

Auburn only recognizes the Tigers' conference championships, divisional championships and national titles in 1957 and 2010 on flags flying inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...I can't say that I am exactly happy with this decision. It's about perceptions. Other schools are happy to claim titles from anywhere and everywhere. And frankly, I think the players on the teams from 83 and 93 (both received recognition as national champs from some organizations/polls) deserve the recognition.

As always, my opinion is claim 'em. Everyone else does.

Jacobs is such an idiot! In the article he states: "We earned, what we earned" that's all we want to claim, what is rightfully ours!! What we earned!!

Yes Jay, we earned National Titles in several years, (championship teams in 1910, 1913, 1914, 1983, 1993 and 2004) why are we not claiming them?

Disagree 100% .. Jay made some stupid comments. If the ncaa recognizes it then we should also.. So stupid

IMO we should recognize whatever titles the NCAA says we have, no more and no less. Those titles are completely legit.

what a horrible decision. If it is already regonized, it should be claimed. Up until this past year (and some say when the bcs started), there couldn't have been a dumber way to claim national champions. Some polls voted before the bowl games, bowl games where decided by a popularity contest...etc.

The NCAA doesn't and has NEVER recognized a division 1 football national champion. They list them on their website but they were all awarded by OTHER organizations and not the NCAA.

I'm happy with this decision. Although we got screwed in 2004, we simply did not win the national title; therefore, it shouldn't be claimed despite the injustice.

Public pressure, gets media announcements, gets committees, gets studies, byes more time, relieves pressure, allows weak leadership to not make a tough decision, maintains the status quo. Politics and par for the course.

A terrible way for JJ to handle all this by making it a public spectacle and a terrible decision at the end. A decision that is not supported by the vast majority of Auburn fans. Very disappointing to say the least.

I was hoping the 1910 and 1913 champs would have at least been claimed. Well deserved. Just got the book last year.

Jay Jacobs is dead wrong for not claiming more national football championships that this university earned during our football history. We would not be the first school to go back football record books and that we many unclaimed national championships and ended up counting them. Southern Cal has done it, Alabama has done it along with many many others.

Don't Just Say It. Claim It.

1910, 1913, 1914, 1957, 1958, 1983, 1993, 2004, 2010

I wonder what would have happened if Jay had been Alabama's AD when found that they had won more National Championships but Jay told them that they would not claim those Championships, they would kick his --- out the door.

1900, 1904, 1910, 1913, 1914, 1919, 1932, 1957, 1958, 1983, 1993, 2004, 2010

Anyone who says their not going to worry about it one way or the other, then what your really saying is you don't mind always being Alabama's red headed step brother and those those players and coaches that won more national championships don't mean crap.

1910, 1904, 1910, 1913, 1914, 1919, 1932, 1957, 1958, 1983, 1993, 2004, 2010.

What organization named Auburn national champion in 1983 or 1993 or 2004? It's called LYING, people, and Auburn men and women should not do it. Way to go Auburn and Jay Jacobs. Let's be honest and not worry about UAT or anyone else.

It really doesn't bother me one way or another.

That's about where I'm at in the situation. Like who cares? We claim them and what? We get a couple banners around the stadium? Shirts made? Woo Hoo.

Grumps, Posted Yesterday, 11:17 PM:

What organization named Auburn national champion in 1983 or 1993 or 2004? It's called LYING, people, and Auburn men and women should not do it. Way to go Auburn and Jay Jacobs. Let's be honest and not worry about UAT or anyone else.

===========================================================================================

You must not be aware of the facts or you would never use that word, especially about 1983. The '83 Auburn team was named National Champions by more selectors,19 including the NY Times, than any other team in the country. Miami had 14 selectors, Nebraska 13. That answers your question.

In addition, Auburn had more #1 selections by AP voters than any other team, including Miami. The '83 AU team was also the highest ranked pre-bowl team to win their bowl game. The 1983 team and the 1913 team both have very solid NC claims.

It really doesn't bother me one way or another.

That's about where I'm at in the situation. Like who cares? We claim them and what? We get a couple banners around the stadium? Shirts made? Woo Hoo.

That's my line of thinking.

This doesn't affect our "sales pitch" to recruits. Seems more like people are looking for validation of bragging rights than anything; in which case, it's pretty meaningless in the long run.

What organization named Auburn national champion in 1983 or 1993 or 2004? It's called LYING, people, and Auburn men and women should not do it.

You are ill-informed.

What organization named Auburn national champion in 1983 or 1993 or 2004? It's called LYING, people, and Auburn men and women should not do it.

You are ill-informed.

Grumps, i like you, but, you are just wrong on this one.

Archived