Way past time for a new director of sec officials...

war eagle6

Steve Shaw just let it be known he is and always will be against AU. It's not surprising to me at all, I've always known, regardless how much he has denied his favoritism to his former school. This was his comment when selling the reason an 8th official is needed for sec games:........Shaw uses AU having 12 men on field vs Ole Miss that was missed as proof 8-man crew is necessary. Now why would he use AU as his example for an 8 man crew? I could think of more than that game where an 8 man crew is needed, but I won't. I'm pretty sure u guys have a few yourselves, just wanting you guys oppinions on this........

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you are looking too hard for corruption everywhere you turn and its simply not there. He used Auburn as an example. Big frickin' deal. It's a poor example to justify the 8th official, IMO because all it means is that several officials didn't count the players like they are supposed to do every down. An 8th official wouldn't have changed whether the officials responsible were counting players.

A bigger reason for the 8 official would be to free up the umpire to more accurately and consistently get an ineligible downfield. The 8th official can get a lot of the holding on the line of scrimmage.

Your oppinion. Whether you believe it or not, it is obvious bias against AU by he and his officials. As far as illegal down lineman goes, I'm pretty sure this is a topic he has to shore up because bama fans has always claimed we had did this in the ironbowl. Trust me, the man is pro-bama, he has portraits of bear Bryant in his florence office at the courthouse

I also believe that Steve Shaw is or has no doubt expressed to the crews to be more lenient on Bama penalties ( notice the lack of holding penalties not called on the blatant holding by the OL over the years ) and more stringent on AU to make it harder for AU to win games and knock AU from representing the West in the conference championship game. Alabama is the least penalized team in the conference. The MSU game last year in Starkville for example. The Coates PI call and the MSU receiver pushing off our DB and AU called for interference ..... Those two & many other ludicrous calls that hindered a possible comeback attempt was thwarted by the bad bad omg bad SEC officials. Yes we made a ton of mistakes but we had the offense to over come the miscues we made. But no I believe Steve Shaw used his influence to our detriment. The Tide has a Bammer ace in its back pocket in one Steve Shaw.

Shaw has never seen a call against AU that he didn't like. He did an interview on jox and pretty much said that Saban coaches holding so beautifully it is hard to call. Kinda like the difference in a "good looking" toupee and an "awfully bad" toupee.

Sorry, but do you honestly believe Shaw has given some edict to ALL the other officials to call AU closer and go easy on UAT? Do you realize how hard that would actually be to pull off? To get all of them to go along? And no one spill the beans over the years? It would make slightly more sense if they all were UAT fans but only then would it be worthy of a slight glance. But they are not and they aren't all crooked and in some sort of cabal. That is tinfoil hat material there.

Seen too much evidence in my almost 60 years. Fit me for the tin foil hat.

Wasn't aimed at you but...

I don't doubt officials have a bias to some extent in certain situations. They are human. But to believe in the "everyone is against us" like this is not rational.

I believe in "follow the money" and bama cheating to win and bragging about it later. These things I have noticed in my short time on earth.

Honestly guys, whether or not it is happening, threads like this do nothing to solve the problem. In cases like this, where the cards may or may not be stacked against you, the only logical course of action is to work harder. As the saying goes, "when the going gets tough, the tough get going".

I find it hard to believe that all officials would be against AU or follow an edict to call harder on AU. However, I do know that word will circulate among officials that a certain team has tendencies of a certain nature and thus officials tend to look for that from a team. Additionally, coaches will tell officials to watch for a team to do certain things they are seeing on film and thus gets more attention from the officials.

I'm not saying all officials are against Auburn, but I talked to Rocky Goode in person, just the two of us, and he made it very clear he does not like Auburn. I'm not saying it leads to bias in calls, but he was adamant in his disdain and I would think that would have some influence in the way games are called. He toned his rhetoric down slightly after I told him I was an Auburn grad, but he was still smug about his attitude.

I'm not saying all officials are against Auburn, but I talked to Rocky Goode in person, just the two of us, and he made it very clear he does not like Auburn. I'm not saying it leads to bias in calls, but he was adamant in his disdain and I would think that would have some influence in the way games are called. He toned his rhetoric down slightly after I told him I was an Auburn grad, but he was still smug about his attitude.

This^^. There are quite a few alumni of bama that are sec officials also

I am a 1975 graduate of AU and an avid follower of Au football for 50 years or more. Place me in the conspiracy bunch also. There is an overwhelming preponderance of evidence to support favoritism charges. Where there is smoke, there usually is a fire.

Steve isn't a bad guy. My in laws are friends of his, and are as staunch Auburn supporters as I know of. I'm not saying the guy is perfect or has no bias, but all this conspiracy of him directing a vendetta against Auburn through his direction of officiating is ridiculous.

In my opinion, there is probably not an all out conspiracy against AU but with Steve Shaw being an AL grad and at least one other official being a former AlL QA I think if there is a close call we will not get the call. Steve is a nice guy but he is all Alabama and I think the head of officials in a conference should not be a graduate of a school in the conference.There is such an entitlement attitude withAL I am not sure they even see anything wrong with it! They think it is their right.

Steve Shaw just let it be known he is and always will be against AU. It's not surprising to me at all, I've always known, regardless how much he has denied his favoritism to his former school. This was his comment when selling the reason an 8th official is needed for sec games:........Shaw uses AU having 12 men on field vs Ole Miss that was missed as proof 8-man crew is necessary. Now why would he use AU as his example for an 8 man crew? I could think of more than that game where an 8 man crew is needed, but I won't. I'm pretty sure u guys have a few yourselves, just wanting you guys oppinions on this........

i don't remember which play vs ole miss you are talking about.

This^^. There are quite a few alumni of bama that are sec officials also

Auburn alumni too. Hell, one former SEC official (from North Alabama) was an AU alum (sent all 3 of his kids to AU) and he was part of the crew that got booted by the SEC because of the FLA/Arky officiating a few yrs ago.... That crew got the hatchet because they called more than a couple of bad games. The AU alum had been officiating in the SEC for a looong time, but a few bad calls by that crew and they were out. Another AU alum officiates in the SEC right now, lives here in Montgomery. :dunno:

Shaw has never seen a call against AU that he didn't like. He did an interview on jox and pretty much said that Saban coaches holding so beautifully it is hard to call. Kinda like the difference in a "good looking" toupee and an "awfully bad" toupee.

I'm not one of those conspiracy theorists, but if Shaw actually said this on the radio then this is a clear indication of him admitting his predetermined bias. If you see holding, then call it. Don't attribute "beautiful coaching" as a reason why you don't call it.

Having family that grew up with Steve and also knowing him for many years, he is a straight shooter doing a tough job. It's all too easy to verbally, and anonymously, beat up on people you have never met. If you don't like his example for the 8th official, fine, I get it. I'm sure all of us have things we could have said or written better. Stating he intentionally favors or targets any SEC team by using the officials just shows you don't know the man.

So once the 8th official is added and now they have added no blocking past 1yd of the line of scrimmage, what will "They" turn to next to say our offense isn't that great it's just bad officiating and missed calls that allow our offense to be so good? :dunno: Will we ever just get "well maybe your offense is really just that good"?

Archived