EPA unveils three-year ethanol mandate

autigeremt

This is one time where I will side with the oil guys. The only reason there is a demand for ethanol at all is because of the subsidies we pay on corn. On top of that, most car engines do not handle ethanol at all. I realize this study is biased, but it confirms that engine damage can happen especially with older vehicles. I recently bought a new car, but my car before really couldn't handle ethanol very well, even the high octane blends. I would go out of my way to find gas stations that offered a pure gas option.

I am not opposed to biofuels, but I want to make sure that my car can accept them. It's way cheaper for me to change the gas in my car then to get a new car.

This is one time where I will side with the oil guys. The only reason there is a demand for ethanol at all is because of the subsidies we pay on corn. On top of that, most car engines do not handle ethanol at all. I realize this study is biased, but it confirms that engine damage can happen especially with older vehicles. I recently bought a new car, but my car before really couldn't handle ethanol very well, even the high octane blends. I would go out of my way to find gas stations that offered a pure gas option.

I am not opposed to biofuels, but I want to make sure that my car can accept them. It's way cheaper for me to change the gas in my car then to get a new car.

I agree. More ETOH is bad for small engines, kills fuel economy and bad for the fuel systems of larger engines.

I have heard of no problems with cars for ethanol. It reaks hell on boats, two cycle lawn equipment or anything that sits idle for periods of time.

I have heard of no problems with cars for ethanol. It reaks hell on boats, two cycle lawn equipment or anything that sits idle for periods of time.

See the study I linked above.

I agree. More ETOH is bad for small engines, kills fuel economy and bad for the fuel systems of larger engines.

Totally. And I am not convinced it is that much more environmentally friendly. Biofuels from waste, sure... ethanol, not so much.

Totally. And I am not convinced it is that much more environmentally friendly. Biofuels from waste, sure... ethanol, not so much.

The sludge made from bio diesel is another matter but ethanol is not the answer.

The sludge made from bio diesel is another matter but ethanol is not the answer.

Agree (again). Like I said, as long as the engines can handle it and I am not convinced they are manufactured to do so.

This is one time where I will side with the oil guys. The only reason there is a demand for ethanol at all is because of the subsidies we pay on corn.

We also give "the oil guys" substantial subsidies and/or tax breaks, but I'm sure not which gets the greater amount of government welfare per gallon, oil or ethanol.

Ethanol production may also be effecting the price of foods where corn is used.

It isn't environmentally friendly. It is actually worse than gasoline. That doesn't even take into account the fact that it cannot travel through a pipeline and has to be trucked to wherever it is going or go by train. It causes corn prices to be high, which is great for the farmers growing it but not for those that use it to feed livestock. Add tp it the fact that it also drives up the price of everything else that comes from corn.

It isn't environmentally friendly. It is actually worse than gasoline. That doesn't even take into account the fact that it cannot travel through a pipeline and has to be trucked to wherever it is going or go by train. It causes corn prices to be high, which is great for the farmers growing it but not for those that use it to feed livestock. Add tp it the fact that it also drives up the price of everything else that comes from corn.

To be honest, I've never felt corn was the right crop for ethanol production for very reasons you site. I think we can handle the transit/mechanical problems with technology, but I think there must be better plants to use that will be more efficient and/or have fewer economic problems than corn. So basically, with some agricultural and technological research, I see ethanol or methanol as very viable fuel sources eventually. Get the technical bugs worked out and it is renewable, emits fewer pollutants, is producible globally and could reduce international tensions over limited oil-producing territory, and simply recirculates the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere neither raising or lowering it.

That said, I do have significant doubts about the viability our current corn-based system.

10% is the max for non flex fuel engines. Anything more than that you will start drying out o-rings and burning up injectors,etc.

Ethanol is way less efficient than gasoline. It could actually cost someone more in fuel costs in a flex fuel vehicle unless the cost per gallon is way less.

Now if you build an engine tuned to run on methanol or ethanol you can get crazy power and less pollution out of it.

There is no reason for this. We're not doing the damage to the planet the ones pushing this are claiming by burning fossil fuels. We still have plenty of it and it works for so many things. It's just nonsensical.

Archived