2016 4* WR Kyle Davis (AU commit 11/25/15)

RunInRed

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really wish we could add Bruce to the fold of Stove, Davis, and Craig. Dudes ridiculous, and we get 1 of his 5 OV's. He could be lethal in the slot and a crazy return man.

Davis is seriously looking at AU. If JJ lights it up this year (as we all believe he will), that would have a lot to do with how high we are with Davis at the end of the year.

He should come play some catch with JJ on campus this summer. Davis is a bit like Williams. He already has an NFL body.

Thing is, he could perhaps have one year with JJ....we really need to establish a succession of big armed QBs to recruit guys like him.

I might be seeing this wrong, but Davis and some of the other 2016 guys, it's more about who will be the QB after JJ. :dunno:

Davis is seriously looking at AU. If JJ lights it up this year (as we all believe he will), that would have a lot to do with how high we are with Davis at the end of the year.

He should come play some catch with JJ on campus this summer. Davis is a bit like Williams. He already has an NFL body.

Thing is, he could perhaps have one year with JJ....we really need to establish a succession of big armed QBs to recruit guys like him.

I might be seeing this wrong, but Davis and some of the other 2016 guys, it's more about who will be the QB after JJ. :dunno:/>

True, but I think a lot of it is showing these guys that with the right QB, Malzahn will open the offense up through the air (I know he's done it before, but these are 16-18 year olds with shorter memories). Since he's been HC anyways, we've been much heavier on the run game and I'm sure some other teams are in these guys' ear about it

I might be seeing this wrong, but Davis and some of the other 2016 guys, it's more about who will be the QB after JJ. :dunno:

True in the long run but AU is using JJ as a recruiting tool in the short run on these guys and doing so effectively.

I might be seeing this wrong, but Davis and some of the other 2016 guys, it's more about who will be the QB after JJ. :dunno:/>

I think there is a lot of truth to that. When Davis as well as Craig-Myers look around at the pro style QBs in his class he sees FSU with 5* Malik Henry, Georgia with 5* Jacob Eason and Ole Miss with 5* Shea Patterson.

If JJ has a good year and they know he will be back, it will help. If JJ were to leave we still have a good lineup with White, Barrett and Queen. We have some very good prospects for '17 and hopefully we can get one to commit early so Kyle Davis and Craig-Myers will know before their NSD.

I think there is a lot of truth to that. When Davis as well as Craig-Myers look around at the pro style QBs in his class he sees FSU with 5* Malik Henry, Georgia with 5* Jacob Eason and Ole Miss with 5* Shea Patterson.

If JJ has a good year and he knows he will be back, it will help. If JJ were to leave we still have a good lineup with White, Barrett and Queen. We have some very good prospects for '17 so hopefully we can get one to commit early so Kyle Davis and Craig-Myers will know before their NSD.

Good point.

If JJ has a good year and they know he will be back, it will help. If JJ were to leave we still have a good lineup with White, Barrett and Queen. We have some very good prospects for '17 and hopefully we can get one to commit early so Kyle Davis and Craig-Myers will know before their NSD.

Pro-style QB's? Henry and Patterson are dual-threat QB's. Other teams, female smacking university & the leg humpers, are telling these kids that all AU does is run the ball. If AU opens it up in the passing game, like I think they will, will go a long way with WR's.

fsu is all in Myers mind with this.

I do believe that AU's top target at WR is now Davis. Kid is a stud.

Pro-style QB's? Henry and Patterson are dual-threat QB's. Other teams, female smacking university & the leg humpers, are telling these kids that all AU does is run the ball. If AU opens it up in the passing game, like I think they will, will go a long way with WR's.

I only use 247 as a reference on all this stuff. 247 has both Henry and Patterson listed as Pro style QBs, therefore the reference. Davis is a heck of a WR so I sure hope we get him.

I only use 247 as a reference on all this stuff. 247 has both Henry and Patterson listed as Pro style QBs, therefore the reference. Davis is a heck of a WR so I sure hope we get him.

So is Gus now leaning toward Pro-style QBs?

Thought the game plan was toward dual threat or guys with a strong running capability. Or is it just a matter of who he can attract to AU ?

He has been uber successful with both - the Tulane offense did not have a dual. Those QB's could run just a tiny amount enough to require it to be respected but we're not like we have seen.

Personally I'd like for the QB to run a minimal amount. Can't help but think we were a little lucky not to have hurt qb's. Cam was in fact hurt in the bcs game. I'd like to see JJ run 5-6 legit runs a game. Scramble a few more and top out around 10 ish. Just personal desire though

He has been uber successful with both - the Tulane offense did not have a dual. Those QB's could run just a tiny amount enough to require it to be respected but we're not like we have seen.

Personally I'd like for the QB to run a minimal amount. Can't help but think we were a little lucky not to have hurt qb's. Cam was in fact hurt in the bcs game. I'd like to see JJ run 5-6 legit runs a game. Scramble a few more and top out around 10 ish. Just personal desire though

Not Tulane Stache. I agree on the runs and Cam hurting in the BCS championship.

Sean White is kind of mobile.

tulsa! That's right. My bad. One of those "t" schools. Almost said Toledo!

tulsa! That's right. My bad. One of those "t" schools. Almost said Toledo!

You've lost your mind just how old are you.....................Dementia kicking in looks like.............................

Thought the game plan was toward dual threat or guys with a strong running capability. Or is it just a matter of who he can attract to AU ?

I don't think I would make any of those assumptions. 5* pro-style QBs (per 247) just happen to be what those other schools have committed in the same class as the WRs in the discussion, Davis and Craig-Myers. Sean White is more a pro-style but has some mobility and Woody Barrett is a dual.

I think Gus's offense can dominate with either type. But a big passing QB like JJ, who is also mobile, gives Gus the ability to open up his playbook. If I were to make a guess, it would be that a QB like JJ is the type of QB Gus prefers.

Gus is for getting the best available regardless of style. He has shown in the past he can adapt to the strengths of any QB.

With that said, here's a word of caution on using 247 or any sites' QB designation as a reference point. Dual QBs tend to be better runners than passers on the sites. On pro style QBs it's best just to watch film and make up your own mind as to what you feel they are. There are many, many "pro style QBs" by the sites who are damn good runners too. Also "pro style" is not a synonym for slow or only stays in the pocket.

He's can scramble to keep a play alive mobile but not read option be the bread and butter mobile.

He's can scramble to keep a play alive mobile but not read option be the bread and butter mobile.

Agreed. I've always said he reminds me of Aaron Murray in how he scrambles.

Gus is for getting the best available regardless of style. He has shown in the past he can adapt to the strengths of any QB.

With that said, here's a word of caution on using 247 or any sites' QB designation as a reference point. Dual QBs tend to be better runners than passers on the sites. On pro style QBs it's best just to watch film and make up your own mind as to what you feel they are. There are many, many "pro style QBs" by the sites who are damn good runners too. Also "pro style" is not a synonym for slow or only stays in the pocket.

Or....you can just use 247's designation, instead of getting into all the chit chat caused by numerous interpretations, so you can get about addressing the central issue (WR targets/ AU QBs post JJ/ 5* QBs committed elsewhere). Everybody has an idea of what is or is not a Pro or Dual QB to them.

Agreed. I've always said he reminds me of Aaron Murray in how he scrambles.

Shut your WHOLE mouth!!

:moon:

Or....you can just use 247's designation, instead of getting into all the chit chat caused by numerous interpretations, so you can get about addressing the central issue (WR targets/ AU QBs post JJ/ 5* QBs committed elsewhere). Everybody has an idea of what is or is not a Pro or Dual QB to them.

The discussion of the quotes here as started by 64 was on best QB fits for Malzahn. Instead of then quoting to reply to you I just added a friendly word on QB site designation. I apologize if i did not communicate that effectively to you. Yes everyone has their own definition of what a pro style or dual QB is. That is why I said watch a player's tape to form our own opinions instead of relying on a site or anyone's opinion on that.

Re: my earlier comment.

I was just curious if there was an unannounced philosophical change taking place at AU.

Not that long ago, Lefty and Chiz made the disastrous decision to go for the pro-style offense.

Granted the talent was not correct for that approach back in Lefty's day...but now that Gus has had a few years to recruit toward his offensive preferences, I'm starting to believe that we are seeing a subtle shift in offensive strategy...in that same direction.

If I read things correctly, several of the QBs we are hot after (and our current back-ups) are generally considered to be Pro Style ( though a couple might be called dual-purpose). SO....I'm wondering if the days of seeing an AU quarterback as a true running threat....a guy who can rush for 750 or more yards in a season might be a thing of the past.

Folks talk about the next Cam Newton....but I don't think Gus is looking for another Cam Newton who can rush for 1000+ yards. The HU offense is not necessarily incompatible with a Pro Style offense.

PS...this s not about Kyle Davis obviously...but something worth thinking about IMO

Re: my earlier comment.

I was just curious if there was an unannounced philosophical change taking place at AU.

Not that long ago, Lefty and Chiz made the disastrous decision to go for the pro-style offense.

Granted the talent was not correct for that approach back in Lefty's day...but now that Gus has had a few years to recruit toward his offensive preferences, I'm starting to believe that we are seeing a subtle shift in offensive strategy...in that same direction.

If I read things correctly, several of the QBs we are hot after (and our current back-ups) are generally considered to be Pro Style ( though a couple might be called dual-purpose). SO....I'm wondering if the days of seeing an AU quarterback as a true running threat....a guy who can rush for 750 or more yards in a season might be a thing of the past.

Folks talk about the next Cam Newton....but I don't think Gus is looking for another Cam Newton who can rush for 1000+ yards. The HU offense is not necessarily incompatible with a Pro Style offense.

PS...this s not about Kyle Davis obviously...but something worth thinking about IMO

Gus is all about taking the most talented players and building the scheme around their ability. If that means a guy like Cam that can run AND throw like he could, you better bet your last nickle we and every other school would be on him like a rottweiler on a rib roast. Excellent runner or not, the QB will always have decent passing skills and I would guess Woody is more a Nick Marshall than a pocket pro-style guy so that kind of puts a hole in your theory.

Archived