Women's World Cup

AUbritt

I watched what I could. I'm definitely not a soccer fan but when the US national team of anything is playing, I become very interested. From what I saw, it seems like a solid win against a solid team--though it was far from a perfect game for the US.

Yeah, the performance was pretty shaky.

I also have to say that I'm not a fan -- not at all -- of the uniforms. White, black, and neon yellow?! Yeah, that just screams USA. I thought it was bad enough that the blue they've been using is some sort of bright, light blue, rather than what you'd find on the US flag. But this takes the cake. SOOO glad Auburn doesn't use Nike.

No. I tried to watch. I'm a big fan of World Cup and BPL Fütball. This is almost unwatchable.

No. I tried to watch. I'm a big fan of World Cup and BPL Fütball. This is almost unwatchable.

admittedly there is some bad soccer being played. Even the 4-6 "elite" teams are much slower than the guys game.

But I'd much rather watch women's soccer than any other women's pro sport (college softball has vaulted up the women's sports list)

I've got a daughter that I'm taking out to Arkansas this next weekend for the southeast region championship tourney - has given me an appreciation of women's soccer watching her team play.

Well last nights uswnt game vs Sweden was miserable to watch. Very disjointed, the team looked lethargic and there is no synergy through center midfield to the forwards

Comfortable win. Should have been bigger, though.

U.S. to face China on Friday in the next round. I don't know anything about the Chinese team, but the U.S. will be down 2 starters because of consecutive games with yellow cards.

U.S. to face China on Friday in the next round. I don't know anything about the Chinese team, but the U.S. will be down 2 starters because of consecutive games with yellow cards.

They are from China.

Now you know at least one thing about them.

;)

Apparently, they lack the team speed to hang with the US. We've beaten them 24 in a row. Even if we get through the next game, we'll have to face Germany or France (probably Germany), and these teams match up with us well. I think Germany is currently ranked #1, US #2, and France #3. We need to play better.

I can see us out "athleting" China. I have seen nothing in the last 4-8 games that shows we can beat Germany ... Other than our defense has been stout.

Yep -- great D. We need to get it going on O, though.

China has one of the youngest teams in this world cup. They failed to win a single game in 2015 before this tournament (having qualified among minnows last year) but their young talent has given non-joke teams like Canada all they can handle this tournament. Without card-suspended Holliday and Rapinoe (IMO the MVP for the US at this point) the US either needs former Gator Wamback to wake up, or we need to change our attack from centering on her to the technical game at which we excel and which, frankly, makes the women's game compelling. I hope the US is not looking ahead yet to the semis when we get the winner of #3 France vs #1 Germany. On the bright side, if we beat China, Holliday and Rapinoe will be well rested!

USA ladies out playing China just having a hard time getting a goal ... several good scoring opportunities.

US Finally got a nice goal...header from right out front....up 1-0 with about 30 minutes to go....China been laying back just playing defense....will have to be a bit more aggressive now to get a goal.

That was a great game by the U.S. women. Complete game and had the Chinese befuddled for long stretches. Still having a little trouble finishing but had a bunch of good chances.

Wambach may have lost a starting spot. ARod might have been one of our better defenders. She had some bad touches but wambach never would have gotten to some of those touches.

Brian was impressive as a holding mid. Ohara put in a lot of energy but I'm not sure she secured a spot. Still not impressed by press. Not sure what her deal is ... Maybe overthinking some

Missed the games this weekend, unfortunately. Canada ousted was a surprise to me.

Now, it's like WWII again in the WWC (US vs. Germany, England vs. Japan). I think the US can beat Germany, but only if we play WAY better than we have so far. Wish I had seen England play against Canada. Japan has looked really good so far.

I can't help but think we may need to dust off the ole 4-3-3 ...

Knowing how well Brian did, I still can't imagine not putting Holiday on the field. Same with Rapinoe vs O'hara.

Keep the same back 4. Put Brian as a Holding mid and let Lloyd and Holliday do what they want to do the most which is attack (and Lloyd did well against China). Rapinoe, Morgan and ARod as your front line. Arod can provide the same hold up play that Wambach can but way way more energy. I think it is forgone that Wambach is now officially a supersub. ARod was so dynamic up front and Johnston and Lloyd are both very good in the air - although noone is in Wambachs class.

Ohara is odd man out here, but you have to start Rapinoe. If things get weird mid-game then you can revert to a 4-4-2 with Lloyd or Brian out wide (although neither did great wide pre Cup)

Hate it for some of the other quality players but Heath may get some time pending in-game needs. I think O'Reilly, Rampone, Boxx, Leroux and maybe even Press have seen their last minutes in this world cup.

Archived