The reasons why we win it all this year

gr82b4au

We may have a shot if we can stay healthy on defense, especially in the secondary.

I see the west going like this:

Alabama

Auburn

Arkansas

Texas AM/LSU

Ole Miss

Miss St.

I don't care if bama had Tom Brady I would NEVER put bama ahead of us in predictions. They have no qb and waaaay too many holes to fill on offense and defense. Smh

SMH

Those must be some heavy duty meds working there!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost started a new thread, but I'll put this here instead:

Word from the plains is that Coach Russell is pleased with the work ethic of these #auburntigers . #WDE

@CoachJackCrowe

mmmk. We will see by game 7.

wde

Word from the plains is that Coach Russell is pleased with the work ethic of these #auburntigers . #WDE

@CoachJackCrowe

wde

Always love to see your enthusiasm on the boards when something positive gets posted about the team.

@CoachJackCrowe

wde

Always love to see your enthusiasm on the boards when something positive gets posted about the team.

I have learned from reading the boards since before 2002 to not get too excited by practice reports in newspapers, message board posts by website admins, tweets, facebook messages, etc. FWIW, I also don't get depressed by the same type of information sources that tell me we will suck. I only care about results on the field.

wde

@CoachJackCrowe

wde

I have learned from reading the boards since before 2002 to not get too excited by practice reports in newspapers, message board posts by website admins, tweets, facebook messages, etc. FWIW, I also don't get depressed by the same type of information sources that tell me we will suck. I only care about results on the field.

wde

You've got it figured out AU1H1. ;) Those are the only results that count or mean anything. WDE!!!!

We may have a shot if we can stay healthy on defense, especially in the secondary.

I see the west going like this:

Alabama

Auburn

Arkansas

Texas AM/LSU

Ole Miss

Miss St.

I don't care if bama had Tom Brady I would NEVER put bama ahead of us in predictions. They have no qb and waaaay too many holes to fill on offense and defense. Smh

SMH

Those must be some heavy duty meds working there!

No meds needed. I just LOVE AU that much, and hate bama with a passion!

Taking a closer look, the SEC West will be extremely tough, and I believe the winner will have 2 losses. I doubt a two loss SEC will get in the playoff this year. It could be close were we see teams sharing the West championship.

The sleeper is Ole Miss, and that team could be better than last years teams. Chad Kelly has to be better than Bo Wallace.

Chad Kelly has to be better than Bo Wallace.

Why? First everybody thought Bo would improve and then thought that the offense would figure itself out, then this and that. It looks like Freeze just completely abandoned the offense to maintain the landshark, for their sakes I'd hope the real offensive mind Hugh Freeze returns

My SEC predictions:

East:

Georgia--10-2 (6-2); loss to UAT and Tenn

Mizz--8-4 (5-3); losses to UK, UG, and Ark (also BYU)

Tenn--8-4 (5-3); losses to UAT, UK, and Mizz (also Oklahoma)

UK--7-5 (4-4); losses to Auburn, MSU, UG, and Vandy (also L'ville)

UF--5-7 (2-6); losses to UK, Tenn, OM, Mizz, LSU, and UG (also FSU)

USC--4-8 (1-7); losses to Clemson and everyone in conference except Vandy

Vandy--3-9 (1-7); losses to Houston, MTSU, and everyone in conference except UK

West:

Alabama--9-3 (5-3); losses to TAMU, LSU, and Auburn

Arkansas--9-3 (5-3); losses to Tenn, UAT and Auburn

Auburn--9-3 (5-3); losses to LSU, MSU and UG

LSU--9-3 (5-3): losses to Ark, OM and TAMU

OM--9-3 (5-3); losses to UAT, Auburn and Ark

TAMU--9-3 (5-3); losses to Ark, OM and Auburn

MSU--6-6 (2-6); losses to LSU, TAMU, Mizz, UAT, Ark, and OM

I can't remember a year in which the SEC west looked so even. Every team (besides MSU) could win the division, but every team is near-equally flawed and with plenty of obstacles. I'm sure there will be more of a gap than this, but right now, I can't predict one. FWIW either us or Arky goes to Atlanta.

My SEC west predictions:

I can't remember a year in which the SEC west looked so even. Every team (besides MSU) could win the division, but every team is near-equally flawed and with plenty of obstacles. I'm sure there will be more of a gap than this, but right now, I can't predict one. FWIW either us or Arky goes to Atlanta.

In your scenario I think we go. Of the teams at 9-3 (5-3), only auburn and Ark have 2 losses from west and 1 from east. The others have 3 west losses. We beat ark and own the tiebreaker. We go get revenge on UGA in SEC Champ. :)

My SEC west predictions:

In your scenario I think we go. Of the teams at 9-3 (5-3), only auburn and Ark have 2 losses from west and 1 from east. The others have 3 west losses. We beat ark and own the tiebreaker. We go get revenge on UGA in SEC Champ. :)

Suppose all this happens, and AU finishes as a 3-loss SEC Champ. Now suppose Baylor and TCU have no more than 2 losses, as do the other Power 5 conference champs. You think Auburn will make the playoff?

I look towards this season with a lot of conflicting thoughts. First, there is a lot of talent on offense and CGM certainly knows how to take advantage of the talent he has. But how long will it take for the talent to gel into machine-like precision? And on defense, yes a new coordinator and staff, which is a reason for optimism, but it also means a new scheme for the players to learn. Again, how long will it take for the guys to really be able to play fast, with intensity, without thinking and execute? A lot of the media have picked Auburn to be extremely potent this year, but bookies are picking Auburn to drop games to the likes of Arkansas.

I am always optimistic before a season begins, but that's feelings. Analytically, I really don't know what to expect.

My SEC west predictions:

In your scenario I think we go. Of the teams at 9-3 (5-3), only auburn and Ark have 2 losses from west and 1 from east. The others have 3 west losses. We beat ark and own the tiebreaker. We go get revenge on UGA in SEC Champ. :)/>

Suppose all this happens, and AU finishes as a 3-loss SEC Champ. Now suppose Baylor and TCU have no more than 2 losses, as do the other Power 5 conference champs. You think Auburn will make the playoff?

i think it all depends on the media perception at the time the playoffs are announced. One thing to consider is we no longer have the streak of national title game appearances since the SEC did not make the final last year. You don't have the argument that we deserve to have a representative.

My SEC west predictions:

In your scenario I think we go. Of the teams at 9-3 (5-3), only auburn and Ark have 2 losses from west and 1 from east. The others have 3 west losses. We beat ark and own the tiebreaker. We go get revenge on UGA in SEC Champ. :)/>

i think it all depends on the media perception at the time the playoffs are announced. One thing to consider is we no longer have the streak of national title game appearances since the SEC did not make the final last year. You don't have the argument that we deserve to have a representative.

Yep, although I'd say 'committee perception' more than media. I also think it would depend on how we lose to UGA (if that happens) in the regular season. A narrow loss to a UGA team that has narrowly lost to Bama earlier in the season, followed by a win vs. Bama and then a beatdown of UGA in the SECCG might look pretty convincing -- especially if the rest of the West has the season you're predicting. Our SOS would be through the roof.

My SEC west predictions:

Yep, although I'd say 'committee perception' more than media. I also think it would depend on how we lose to UGA (if that happens) in the regular season. A narrow loss to a UGA team that has narrowly lost to Bama earlier in the season, followed by a win vs. Bama and then a beatdown of UGA in the SECCG might look pretty convincing -- especially if the rest of the West has the season you're predicting. Our SOS would be through the roof.

Yep, committee to media perspective is still the unknown, there's just not enough of track record yet. In the past getting good recognition pre-season and early on certainly made a lot of difference; hopefully it might still garner some extra watching by some on the committee, who might have not paid as much attention. Nothing like having seen more a quality team in action, as opposed to getting on the board late in the game.

My SEC predictions:

East:

West:

The one SEC west team with the one and only very good returning QB, and arguably the best QB in the SEC, is going to go 6-6?!? Doubtful. No way 6 out of 7 teams in the division all finish 9-3.

My SEC predictions:

East:

West:

The one SEC west team with the one and only very good returning QB, and arguably the best QB in the SEC, is going to go 6-6?!? Doubtful. No way 6 out of 7 teams in the division all finish 9-3.

When you factor in that Miss ST is only returning 2 starting linemen it could make for a tough year for Dak. 6-6 is entirely possible for that team. I believe they had a lot of senior leadership on defense that won't be back either. My apologies for not knowing their defensive numbers.

My SEC predictions:

East:

West:

The one SEC west team with the one and only very good returning QB, and arguably the best QB in the SEC, is going to go 6-6?!? Prescott is a JOKE. He caught lightening in a bottle last year and took advantage of it, that is until they collapsed down the stretch losing 3 of their last 4 games. MSU has NOTHING to help Prescott this year. 6-6 may be actually being generous. Even with so many new starters at QB in the league, I still can't bring myself to even remotely consider Prescott among the best in the SEC. He's just not that impressive to me at all. He's listed there now by default because there are so many new starters coming in this year, but statistically, I doubt he finishes anywhere near the top 5. Doubtful. No way 6 out of 7 teams in the division all finish 9-3.

The rest of those predictions just aren't realistic because you are right, it would be almost impossible for 6 teams to finish with the same record. That just simply won't happen. MSU may not win a game against anybody in the SEC west. But, he has MSU at 6-6 but beating Auburn in Auburn? Sorry, but that isn't going to happen.

While talent, coaching , schedule and lack of injuries plays a very important part on the season, I think team chemistry is much more important. Anyone in this business will tell you the year after success is the hardest year. I think last year both players and coaches lacked giving 100 percent due to the success of 2013. Due to the poor performance of the last 5 games, serious changes were made. With the new mindset by both players and coaches, I think this is why we are likely to be at the top this year. WDE

ESPN is really hammering on Auburn. Based on their "analysis" Auburn will be worse this year than last year, projected W-L at 7.4-4.6 (which I suppose works out to a 7-5 record. I don't know if Auburn will be as good as some of the media rankings predict, but I really doubt that it will be as bad as ESPN predicts. Interestingly, though, their power rankings settle on a bunch of 9-3 finishes, including Bama, LSU, UGA, TA&M, OM and UT, with Ark at 8-4. It's not clear how they can do a power rating on Auburn without actually having seen the offense in action, but I presume they just kinda sorta guessed at it.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

ESPN is really hammering on Auburn. Based on their "analysis" Auburn will be worse this year than last year, projected W-L at 7.4-4.6 (which I suppose works out to a 7-5 record. I don't know if Auburn will be as good as some of the media rankings predict, but I really doubt that it will be as bad as ESPN predicts. Interestingly, though, their power rankings settle on a bunch of 9-3 finishes, including Bama, LSU, UGA, TA&M, OM and UT, with Ark at 8-4. It's not clear how they can do a power rating on Auburn without actually having seen the offense in action, but I presume they just kinda sorta guessed at it.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

This isn't done by a real person, this is a computer generated statistical guess on how teams will do.

My SEC predictions:

East:

West:

The one SEC west team with the one and only very good returning QB, and arguably the best QB in the SEC, is going to go 6-6?!? Prescott is a JOKE. He caught lightening in a bottle last year and took advantage of it, that is until they collapsed down the stretch losing 3 of their last 4 games. MSU has NOTHING to help Prescott this year. 6-6 may be actually being generous. Even with so many new starters at QB in the league, I still can't bring myself to even remotely consider Prescott among the best in the SEC. He's just not that impressive to me at all. He's listed there now by default because there are so many new starters coming in this year, but statistically, I doubt he finishes anywhere near the top 5. Doubtful. No way 6 out of 7 teams in the division all finish 9-3.

The rest of those predictions just aren't realistic because you are right, it would be almost impossible for 6 teams to finish with the same record. That just simply won't happen. MSU may not win a game against anybody in the SEC west. But, he has MSU at 6-6 but beating Auburn in Auburn? Sorry, but that isn't going to happen.

I wouldn't call him a joke, but I agree with your thoughts on Prescott. I definitely think he is overrated. That being said, they always play us tough, even at home. I don't see us losing to them, but stranger things have happened.

Archived