2016 3* DE/OT Micheal Boykin (Louisville commit)

ellitor

There's a lot of smoke the past couple days from JLee that Boykin is expected to commit today. FWIW our buddy and mod KK said on twitter he loves what we are doing with DL recruiting. He said the commits and Boykin have dream frames to mold and are all quick. KK is historically a quality talent evaluator FWIW. RIR will pretty up the OP I'm sure when he has time.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

June 20, 2015

Getting close

Bryan Matthews

AuburnSports.com Senior Editor

AUBURN, Ala. | Micheal Boykin is close, real close.

1697482.jpgspacer1.gifspacer1.gif

In fact, the three-star defensive end from Carrollton (Ga.) High said he's 99.9 percent certain that a commitment will come this week. The news comes following an overnight visit to Auburn.

"It's pretty close. I'm narrowing everything down," Boykin said. "I love Auburn University to death. I like the coaches and everything. Hopefully I'm going to make it official sometime soon. "I'm going to come back later on this week with my mom so we can kind of narrow the process and make sure everything is how it's supposed to be."

Boykin, 6-foot-6 and 250 pounds, said he likes "everything" about Auburn. "The people, the athletic history, the academics. I just looked at the type of school I would want to go to if I wasn't able to play football and Auburn is definitely the place," Boykin said.

Boykin got some 1-on-1 coaching from defensive line coach Rodney Garner during the camp. "It was great. I was able to get some feedback from Coach Garner. He was hard on me and that's what I like," Boykin said. "I was able to go against some big-time competition too." Boykin met with Auburn coach Gus Malzahn before heading home Saturday afternoon.

"He was telling me I'm the type of guy they're looking for," Boykin said. "They already have two football players from my high school here and doing an outstanding job. I definitely don't want to come and ruin anything and have a bad name."

Senior cornerback Jonathan Jones and redshirt freshman defensive lineman Dontavius Russell are both from Carrollton. "Dontavius has always been the type of guy to tell me what is wrong and what is right. It's pretty good to have him around," Boykin said.

Boykin has over 20 offers including Auburn, Florida, Missouri, Mississippi State, Kentucky, Louisville, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Indiana, Oregon State and South Florida.

https://auburn.rival...asp?CID=1776744

Know some guys who went to the camp today and Boykin tore it up. Best prospect at the camp I'm told.

even amongst 4 or 5 stars he was the best? I am kidding but also not shocked.

Know some guys who went to the camp today and Boykin tore it up. Best prospect at the camp I'm told.

Why aren't you shocked? Legitimate question.

I don't know the kid or have any inside information. It just seems there are times where lesser ranked kids rise up and put on a show. Many times these kids end up with higher rankings over time and that is my guess as to what will happen here. There is a method to the star system of ranking but it is definitely not always right.

I don't know the kid or have any inside information. It just seems there are times where lesser ranked kids rise up and put on a show. Many times these kids end up with higher rankings over time and that is my guess as to what will happen here. There is a method to the star system of ranking but it is definitely not always right.

Gotcha. Thought you meant you had some kind of insight on the kid.

He looks Hungry. I wish he had a twin!

There were no reports of the 4 & 5* DL participating in the camp today fwiw.

I have actually heard of this recruit from some sources and they say he has tremendous potential. Look for word on him throughout his senior season. If what I have heard is true, he will not remain a 3 star.

I have actually heard of this recruit from some sources and they say he has tremendous potential. Look for word on him throughout his senior season. If what I have heard is true, he will not remain a 3 star.

Don't mean to be negative but we sure have been hearing that a lot lately. I hope all of these 3* players turn out to be 4* and 5* players. I also hope we are not just saying that to make us feel better about missing on some better players.

Don't mean to be negative but we sure have been hearing that a lot lately. I hope all of these 3* players turn out to be 4* and 5* players. I also hope we are not just saying that to make us feel better about missing on some better players.

Start reading here.

Not all of them are going to be 4 and 5 star players. No one is indicating this. What we are saying is that they have not even played their senior seasons yet.

Some will definitely move up and some will move down. Some have not had time to be evaluated, some may not have started playing on their current teams until their junior years. Some are playing positions on their High School teams out of necessity, which is not their strong suit position.

No one is going to get all of the 5 star talent. No one team is going to get all of the 4 star talent. As long as we finish in the top ten, we are fine. Hoping for top 5, but attempting to be realistic as well.

We still have an entire season to play ourselves. If we win the SEC and are playing in the NC playoffs, that will make a big difference as well. Some of the recruits (especially defensive ones) are going to want to take a "wait and see" approach.

Out of the current three stars we have committed, I definitely see at least two becoming 4 stars before it is over. Could be three if we get whom we are predicted to land right now in the 3 star group. We have 19 CBs on one five star DE currently. We have all CBs in 2015 pointing to landing a 4 star DT before the season starts.

Call me sunshine pumper for now, and prodigious prognosticator when the smoke settles and I am proven right! :)

Not all of them are going to be 4 and 5 star players. No one is indicating this. What we are saying is that they have not even played their senior seasons yet.

Some will definitely move up and some will move down. Some have not had time to be evaluated, some may not have started playing on their current teams until their junior years. Some are playing positions on their High School teams out of necessity, which is not their strong suit position.

Be patient. The current 4 and 5 stars have been rated over their HS careers thus far. Some of those not rated or rated low, may have only had a single year or season of evaluation. It's too early to rely totally on their current star ratings (with the exception possibly for the elites).

Nothing different this year than prior years. Some move up, some move down. However, I trust Coach Malzahn and Coach Mschamp and staff to be able to meet our needs with whom they think fits best.

No one is going to get all of the 5 star talent. No one team is going to get all of the 4 star talent. As long as we finish in the top ten, we are fine. Hoping for top 5, but realistic as well.

We still have an entire season to play ourselves. If we win the SEC and are playing in the NC playoffs, that will make a big difference as well. Some of the recruits (especially defensive ones) are going to want to take a "wait and see" approach.

Out of the current three stars we have committed, I definitely see at least two being 4 stars before it is over. Could be three if we get whom we are predicted to land right now in the 3 star group. We have 19 CBs on one five star DE right now as well.

Good post (and not at all confusing).

;)

Be patient. The current 4 and 5 stars have been rated over their HS careers thus far. Some of those not rated or rated low, may have only had a single year or season of evaluation. It's too early to rely totally on their current star ratings (with the exception possibly for the elites).

Nothing different this year than prior years. Some move up, some move down. However, I trust Coach Malzahn and Coach Mschamp and staff to be able to meet our needs with whom they think fits best.

No one is going to get all of the 5 star talent. No one team is going to get all of the 4 star talent. As long as we finish in the top ten, we are fine. Hoping for top 5, but realistic as well.

Out of the current three stars we have committed, I definitely see at least two being 4 stars before it is over. Could be three if we get whom we are predicted to land right now in the 3 star group. We have 19 CBs on one five star DE right now as well.

;)

Thanks.. I know which post you are referring to and it was meant to be somewhat "starry eyed". :)

;)

Thanks.. I know which post you are referring to and it was meant to be somewhat "starry eyed". :)

Yeah -- I was just teasing you when I posted in the 'confused' thread (used the thread title as a 'criticism' of your post).

I have always felt like we have excelled a lot of the time at grabbing the "lesser" players and getting more out of them than some of those "5-Star" guys. I know it is the continual struggle of not being THE school here in state, so we usually have to do more work to get our guys. But with this staff that we have, I have total trust in them to get who they want and make it work.

So come on down Mr. Boykin...you're the next contestant. WDE!!!

I have always felt like we have excelled a lot of the time at grabbing the "lesser" players and getting more out of them than some of those "5-Star" guys. I know it is the continual struggle of not being THE school here in state, so we usually have to do more work to get our guys. But with this staff that we have, I have total trust in them to get who they want and make it work.

So come on down Mr. Boykin...you're the next contestant. WDE!!!

Lately it's been that school up north getting the most out of their 3*s. I think we've actually been underdeveloping our talent since Chiz got here.

Archived