R.I.P. Monreko Crittenden

cole256

That's sad. He really was a good guy. Had a few laughs with him at Foy while we were in school.

Just heard! Terrible! Quick story about "Chubb". Monreko never knew it, but I was one of his biggest fans. I played HS football against his HS team (St. Jude). He was basically their entire team. If a tackle was made, he made it. If something good happened for them, he was either directly responsible or had set his teammate up to shine. It's not very often that a DL/OL takes over a game and is the most polarizing, fun to watch player on the field. He was all of that and a whole lot more. You would think a guy like that would be full of himself, right? WRONG!! This guy was as humble and kind as they come. Don't get me wrong, he was an absolute beast on the field, but when the whistle blew, class act all the way. Reko was the deliverer of my first concussion in 1998. You can imagine the outcome and aftermath of a 6'0" 180lb DB (myself) on a full speed corner blitz colliding with a 365lb OT also running full speed in the flats on a RB speed screen. Not pretty! He was the only one that knew I was in trouble out there as they had shifted into a bit of a hurry up offense. Instead of running back to his own huddle, Monreko basically with minimal effort, picked me up like a rag doll and carried me from the far hash marks to my sideline, yelled to my coaches, "Check him out!", and ran all the way back to his huddle to just get the next play off as my backup was subbed in for me. Result of that play: 40+ yard touchdown running right behind Monreko. It has always stuck with me that this stud/freak of an athlete with such promise would inconvenience himself just to make sure a person he never met and wouldn't even matter to most guys out there was alright. This was in the midst of battle, but before he began his next round of pure football domination he had to make sure I was ok. That's a true Auburn man for you. I ended up hospitalized with a severe concussion and had a couple of seizures. I'm fine now, but was told by docs that another good shot to the head that night could have been a very bad thing. Godspeed Chubb, and thank you brother.

Reading on another board that it was complications from gastric bypass surgery. Still nothing official yet.

EDITED TO ADD: Jay Tate on the Auburn Rivals site is confirming it.

RIP. I do remember him. I remember tubs praising him as the best he had seen in hs when he signed. I think he wore #65?

Karibi Dede told me this morning. Hated to hear this! War Eagle, Big Chubb.

gastric bypass? At such a young age?

He was nearly 360 pounds at the 2004 NFL Combine and got up to as high as ~390+ pounds.

Moral of the story: take care of your body.

WOW.. Hate to hear this, he was one heck of an Auburn Player. Remember him well.

Enjoy the new Orange and Blue Monreko. You will be missed.

Just heard! Terrible! Quick story about "Chubb". Monreko never knew it, but I was one of his biggest fans. I played HS football against his HS team (St. Jude). He was basically their entire team. If a tackle was made, he made it. If something good happened for them, he was either directly responsible or had set his teammate up to shine. It's not very often that a DL/OL takes over a game and is the most polarizing, fun to watch player on the field. He was all of that and a whole lot more. You would think a guy like that would be full of himself, right? WRONG!! This guy was as humble and kind as they come. Don't get me wrong, he was an absolute beast on the field, but when the whistle blew, class act all the way. Reko was the deliverer of my first concussion in 1998. You can imagine the outcome and aftermath of a 6'0" 180lb DB (myself) on a full speed corner blitz colliding with a 365lb OT also running full speed in the flats on a RB speed screen. Not pretty! He was the only one that knew I was in trouble out there as they had shifted into a bit of a hurry up offense. Instead of running back to his own huddle, Monreko basically with minimal effort, picked me up like a rag doll and carried me from the far hash marks to my sideline, yelled to my coaches, "Check him out!", and ran all the way back to his huddle to just get the next play off as my backup was subbed in for me. Result of that play: 40+ yard touchdown running right behind Monreko. It has always stuck with me that this stud/freak of an athlete with such promise would inconvenience himself just to make sure a person he never met and wouldn't even matter to most guys out there was alright. This was in the midst of battle, but before he began his next round of pure football domination he had to make sure I was ok. That's a true Auburn man for you. I ended up hospitalized with a severe concussion and had a couple of seizures. I'm fine now, but was told by docs that another good shot to the head that night could have been a very bad thing. Godspeed Chubb, and thank you brother.

Great story. I love stories like these.

God has a hand in everything.

He will have the best seat in the house this football season as he watches the 2015 edition of Auburn Tigers going to battle each Saturday. When you see one of our big mean offensive linemen pancaking a hapless DL, you can bet Monreko is working behind the scenes to help make it happen.

God has a hand in everything.

Indeed he does. Prayers up to the family

Archived