Under Armour vs Nike vs Adidas

AUEngineer2016

I think it would cool to our football team come with different jerseys and helmets every now and again. Take for homecoming and maybe 1 conference game.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like those weird sweat panels on Nike football jerseys. It makes teams look like they are wearing multiple shades of the same color. It's just ugly. I also don't like how Nike thumbs its nose at tradition. USA Women's Soccer in black and white; the US Men's and Women's national teams with the multi-shaded blue that made us look more like France. Oregon in silver, neon, whatever. I just don't get it.

ETA: I just surfed up on this article addressing Oregon's branding.

Excerpt:

The [lghtning yellow] uniform couldn't possibly have been made in the hopes of finding widespread appeal. They were intentionally weird. Ugly, even. The goal was to get attention, not impress everyone.

This was about divorcing the program from college football's most important cultural signifier at the time: Tradition. The goal, yes, was to thumb their noses at traditionalists.

Now, Nike wants to do the same thing to US soccer, or to another team near you. Of course, if everyone's doing it ....

I really like most of Nike's alternate uniforms ( on the whole they're infinitely better than adidas and UA's) but we would be in charge of what they did or didn't do with our uni's.

I don't like those weird sweat panels on Nike football jerseys. It makes teams look like they are wearing multiple shades of the same color. It's just ugly. I also don't like how Nike thumbs its nose at tradition. USA Women's Soccer in black and white; the US Men's and Women's national teams with the multi-shaded blue that made us look more like France. Oregon in silver, neon, whatever. I just don't get it.

ETA: I just surfed up on this article addressing Oregon's branding.

Excerpt:

The [lghtning yellow] uniform couldn't possibly have been made in the hopes of finding widespread appeal. They were intentionally weird. Ugly, even. The goal was to get attention, not impress everyone.

This was about divorcing the program from college football's most important cultural signifier at the time: Tradition. The goal, yes, was to thumb their noses at traditionalists.

Now, Nike wants to do the same thing to US soccer, or to another team near you. Of course, if everyone's doing it ....

I really like most of Nike's alternate uniforms ( on the whole they're infinitely better than adidas and UA's) but we would be in charge of what they did or didn't do with our uni's.

Golf is another place Nike vs. UA vs. Adidas is playing out. Jordan Spieth has been really good for Under Armor, meanwhile, Rory McIlroy is being dressed, well, suspiciously like Oregon.

NIKE. NIKE. NIKE. Always worn Nike shoes and apparel and always will. I don't hate other brands (although I dislike UA shoes and cleats) I just have always played every sport in Nike gear and love it.

When talking shoes for running, or working out I have 5 pairs of Nike Airmax. They have air in them, and are super comfortable.

Since my car has 4 tires and is supported by air, then they can hold up my fat arse.

NIKE. NIKE. NIKE. Always worn Nike shoes and apparel and always will. I don't hate other brands (although I dislike UA shoes and cleats) I just have always played every sport in Nike gear and love it.

When talking shoes for running, or working out I have 5 pairs of Nike Airmax. They have air in them, and are super comfortable.

Since my car has 4 tires and is supported by air, then they can hold up my fat arse.

I've never heard of anyone actually running in air max. Crazy talk.

Under Tubs we had Nike for at least a year I believe. Wasn't there some complaining about foot injuries or something when AU was with Nike? Something about the cleats, but I could be mistaken

Under Tubs we had Nike for at least a year I believe. Wasn't there some complaining about foot injuries or something when AU was with Nike? Something about the cleats, but I could be mistaken

You're mistaken. We've never worn Nike uniforms. The foot problems were due to the first few batches of Under Armour cleats. Our guys begged to be able to wear Nike and even New Balance cleats instead.

Let's go back to Russell

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Clayton, I don't know if you meant it this way, but your post sounds just like this was supposed to be a thread about a recruit named Russell, and you're admonishing us to get back on topic.

A good way to get "shoe-jacked" and shot....better stick to running in Starters or something cheap.

Let's go back to Russell

:laugh:/> :laugh:/> :laugh:/>

Clayton, I don't know if you meant it this way, but your post sounds just like this was supposed to be a thread about a recruit named Russell, and you're admonishing us to get back on topic.

Lol I was referring to the sports clothing brand! But that just made me laugh this morning!

A good way to get "shoe-jacked" and shot....better stick to running in Starters or something cheap.

Since shoe jackings are so common and all. What a dumb post.

Absolutely....never happens.....well almost never....and not important anyway...unless it happens to be you. Meanwhile I was just making a joke...but...then again, maybe not....

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/11/teen-gets-44-years-for-killing-woodbridge-student-over-nike-air-jordans-109250.html

http://sneakerbardetroit.com/teen-stabbed-back-air-jordans/

V

Absolutely....never happens.....well almost never....and not important anyway...unless it happens to be you. Meanwhile I was just making a joke...but...then again, maybe not....

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/11/teen-gets-44-years-for-killing-woodbridge-student-over-nike-air-jordans-109250.html

http://sneakerbardetroit.com/teen-stabbed-back-air-jordans/

V

Two incidents out of thousands and thousands of Nike Jordan's. STAHP. We weren't even discussing Air Jordan's, we were discussing Air Max running shoes.

You're mistaken. We've never worn Nike uniforms. The foot problems were due to the first few batches of Under Armour cleats. Our guys begged to be able to wear Nike and even New Balance cleats instead.

Ah gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up. I don't know why I thought AU was with Nike for a little.

Ah gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up. I don't know why I thought AU was with Nike for a little.

We had Nike gloves and shoes while we were with Russell.

http://www.wjla.com/...ans-109250.html

http://sneakerbardet...ck-air-jordans/

V

Two incidents out of thousands and thousands of Nike Jordan's. STAHP. We weren't even discussing Air Jordan's, we were discussing Air Max running shoes.

Seems to me that you just can't resist being an a*** can you....have you been on probation or something? JMO but if you don't like my posts, just move along.

Let's stick to the topic and quit taking jabs at each other. If you can't do that, leave the thread.

All of this brand stuff is for the most point not relevant. When it comes to uniforms, there is little advantage for any particular brand. There are advantages inprotection gear, like shoulder pads, and shoes. Auburn uses Russell Athletic CarbonTek shoulder pads, not UA. We wore Nike shoes when we wore Russell Athletic unforms in the pre-UA era. Now we wear UA shoes.

As for shoes, I would not compare percieved recreational brands to sport specific shoes. Serious runners tend to use New Balance, Brooks, Saucony, and Asics, and none of these brands are in the major professional and collegate contract business. That said, Nike has been in the cleat business much longer than some of the other major contractors, and has some advatage.

The crazy uniform trend just happened to coincide with Nike getting into the uniform business. Since Auburn doesn't subscribe to crazy uniforms, Nike offers no real advantage. Nike does not have a monopoly on crazy uniforms anyway.

http://www.wjla.com/...ans-109250.html

http://sneakerbardet...ck-air-jordans/

V

Seems to me that you just can't resist being an a*** can you....have you been on probation or something? JMO but if you don't like my posts, just move along.

No, I have not been on "probation or something." Wtf? And you wonder why your post got called out.

All of this brand stuff is for the most point not relevant. When it comes to uniforms, there is little advantage for any particular brand. There are advantages inprotection gear, like shoulder pads, and shoes. Auburn uses Russell Athletic CarbonTek shoulder pads, not UA. We wore Nike shoes when we wore Russell Athletic unforms in the pre-UA era. Now we wear UA shoes.

As for shoes, I would not compare percieved recreational brands to sport specific shoes. Serious runners tend to use New Balance, Brooks, Saucony, and Asics, and none of these brands are in the major professional and collegate contract business. That said, Nike has been in the cleat business much longer than some of the other major contractors, and has some advatage.

The crazy uniform trend just happened to coincide with Nike getting into the uniform business. Since Auburn doesn't subscribe to crazy uniforms, Nike offers no real advantage. Nike does not have a monopoly on crazy uniforms anyway.

I share some of your thoughts. Often I think of the new uniforms as marketing tools and the players as models of the brand. The only real advantage we received from Under Armour was that we received a very lucrative contract from them because we were one of the first top tier teams to sign with Under Armour. Since then, Notre Dame has signed with Under Armour and their contract is far more lucrative than ours because of their global fanbase. If we continue with Under Armour, it will be because Under Armour thinks that they need Auburn more than Auburn needs them. I hope we go to Nike for their footwear and their basketball camps but if we do, we won't command a contract nearly as good as the one we are in now.

We had Nike gloves and shoes while we were with Russell.

Ah there it is. I thought during the Cadillac/Ronnie Brown days there was some issue with the Nike cleats/injuries but I may be wrong as my memory is less than average lol

I agree with most of this in that very few serious runners wear UA or Nike. Brooks, Saucony, Asics and Mizuno are serious runner's shoes. That being said, Nike owns the cleat and basketball shoe market. Their football cleats are far superior to what UA puts out, though UA is slowly making up ground. Same with basketball and baseball.

The uniforms are much closer and have less of an impact on performance but Nike still produces a superior product. They have a better fit( check out our linemen's sagging pants) and are more durable. The one area of the uniform that UA does better than Nike is the compression baselayer...which should come as no surprise because that's where UA got their start.

I also believe Nike designs better uniforms but that really doesn't factor in because Auburn isn't changing things up anytime soon.

I know that very few care about basketball but Nike absolutely owns that arena. We would benefit more in basketball from switching to Nike than any other sport.

One important thing that I'd like to point out is something that a lot of people seem to be worried about - I don't necessarily want to change the overall design of our uniforms, but rather the execution. There is a big difference between the two. For example, examine the difference between the "Smokey Gray" alternates for Tennessee (who just unveiled their Nike uniforms).

Adidas:

gallery_50011_110_38294.jpg

Things to notice:

1. While the jersey and pants are new concepts, the helmet was re-used from the standard jersey, as were the undershirts.

2. The top of the jersey is very "busy" - there are 2 patterns, one for the front and one for the shoulder caps, the SEC patch, the Adidas logo, and the "Vols" branding all at or above arm level. Also notice where the logos are in relation to one another- The Adidas logo and the "Vols" branding are centered while the SEC patch seems to be an afterthought, thrown randomly offset from everything else.

3. The numbers are outlined in white, which tries to tie the helmet into the jersey. However, I think this execution would have worked better if they had also created a gray helmet with white-outlined orange details to match the style of the jersey

4. While most things are outlined in white, notice that both Adidas logos (pants and jersey) are not. This is incredibly inconsistent.

5. The font used for the numbers is "cookie cutter", the same font used on many teams around the country. It gives the impression that the uniforms were made from a template rather than specially designed for UT.

Nike:

gallery_50011_110_128548.png

Things to notice:

1. The introduction of a new gray helmet. It also introduces a new theme over all of the sports uniforms that were introduced, which is the checkerboarding on the helmet stripe. It is also used in the basketball jerseys, among others. If you look closely, you can also see subtle differences in the gray colors on the helmet. That is intentional, as they give a backdrop of the Smokey Mountains.

2 The top of the jersey is "clean": 2 distinct grays (one on the shoulder, one on the torso), a power T, and the Nike symbol. No distracting patterns. Obviously, the SEC patch is omitted, but it should go on the athlete's right side, opposite the Nike logo. Also notice how the two logos are in line, not offset. Again, notice that the two Nike logos match up on the same side of the jersey.

3. The outlining is consistent in that there isn't any.

4. Notice that the undershirt in this case works to frame the jersey - it is meant to be in the background rather than in the foreground.

5. The number font on these is distinct, sharp, bold. The lack of edges works to make the edges that are there more pronounced - you notice the angle on the 1 because it is the only non-right angle in the number.

These two jersey concepts are very similar - a gray alternate uniform for Tennessee - but I think you'll agree that the execution is very different.

As an old fart who loves the AU blue and white uniforms...it seems that the more the suppliers get into competition with each other involving the design features, the worse the outcome. And, the more the focus is on the flashy uniforms....the less focus on the team and players....JMO.

And interesting to me that most of the teams messing around, looking for some attention getting uniforms are using that "flash" to counteract their lack of tradition and brand identity...and I guess like Oregon, they hope the flash becomes their brand identity.....but probably not for most schools until they put some championship seasons back to back.

See a picture or video of Auburn, Penn State or Bama player in a game uniform and you immediately know which team the guy is playing for. Frankly....I like that and hope AU sticks with that philosophy.

Archived