VA worker to Iraq War Vet... "We Are Not Taking New Patients"

autigeremt

A taste of what lies ahead for the rest of us under national healthcare.

"You can't professionalize unless you federalize," - Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle

A taste of what lies ahead for the rest of us under national healthcare.

Careful. Some may view this as criticism of our dear leader, and lock this thread.

Yep...get ready to stand in line and have someone tell you what kind of care you can have. So you will pay the money; and not get what you pay for. This is the essence of socialized/national healthcare around the world.

I have had the pleasure of living in countries with national healthcare. Now fortunately in those countries I have had my own healthcare. Here's how this works...when you check in at the receptionist; the 1st question asked is "public" or "private"...if you have your own personal care, you go straight back and see the doctor....if you are part of the national plan; you go set around the wall with everyone else and wait; and wait; and wait. Then after you wait; you may or may not get any help. And heaven forbid you need surgery. Minimally it will be months to get a surgery scheduled...so, for something minor like; cancer; you will wait...or not get help at all.

My closest Japanese neighbor; Nakayama-san; a diplomat; in his early 50's..vigorous man; he absolutely adored his son...always shook his head and wondered why he wasn't married yet (like every other Japanese father who wonders why their kids aren't getting married soon enough). He treated my young kids like they were his; he and his wife, Noriko, played baseball in the street in front of our house with my then 3 and 5 year old boys....served his country for 30 years around the globe; the treatment board said he didn't rate the recommended treatment for his type of cancer. So, he got no treatment. He lasted 6 months. He never saw his grandson. He's a beautiful little boy. Noriko, keeps us up to date on facebook on how he is growing. Every conversation with Noriko starts with how she misses Nakayama-san and how she wishes he could see Toshi.

Welcome to our "brave new world".

Sad yet very typical. IT is on the way here...

The anecdotes are nice but, the real world data is more compelling. We can do better. Too bad healthcare is not as important as football. No way we would settle for a ranking outside the top twenty. This is especially true when you consider that we are number one in spending.

Why all the fear? Are we really worried about ruining the least effective healthcare system in the developed world? Yep, dead last in almost every measure of effectiveness including access.

Please continue with the politicized, nonsensical discussion of healthcare. And, nice job taking the focus away from the VA and putting it on ACA.

The anecdotes are nice but, the real world data is more compelling. We can do better. Too bad healthcare is not as important as football. No way we would settle for a ranking outside the top twenty. This is especially true when you consider that we are number one in spending.

Why all the fear? Are we really worried about ruining the least effective healthcare system in the developed world? Yep, dead last in almost every measure of effectiveness including access.

Please continue with the politicized, nonsensical discussion of healthcare. And, nice job taking the focus away from the VA and putting it on ACA.

Right...that's why everyone comes here for healthcare...because it is the least effective...sure, that makes sense. Please Ichy, please tell me from your vast experience with foreign healthcare how it really works? ACA is like treating a splinter with amputation.

Right...that's why everyone comes here for healthcare...because it is the least effective...sure, that makes sense. Please Ichy, please tell me from your vast experience with foreign healthcare how it really works? ACA is like treating a splinter with amputation.

EVERYONE comes here for healthcare? Really? I love the way you just make stuff up and present it as factual then, fall back on your "vast personal experience". Please, by all means, attempt to define "everyone". Please, by all means, attempt to explain why ten times the number of people leave the U.S. for healthcare as opposed to the number who travel here for that same reason.

I couldn't care less about you politics. However, I do not care for your misrepresentation of "facts".

Please, by all means, attempt to explain why ten times the number of people leave the U.S. for healthcare as opposed to the number who travel here for that same reason.

Does this number include all the people on the TV show "Botched", who go to Tijuana, Mexico for plastic surgery?

MY healthcare is more important than football.

To ME.

It's up to ME to look after me. Not the govt.

MY healthcare is more important than football.

To ME.

It's up to ME to look after me. Not the govt.

You are always myopic. We aren't talking about your healthcare. We are talking about the healthcare system and the VA.

Each individual should be in charge of their own healthcare. O-care puts everyone in the shoes of the Vet who is being denied care.

THAT is the point.

EVERYONE comes here for healthcare? Really? I love the way you just make stuff up and present it as factual then, fall back on your "vast personal experience". Please, by all means, attempt to define "everyone". Please, by all means, attempt to explain why ten times the number of people leave the U.S. for healthcare as opposed to the number who travel here for that same reason.

I couldn't care less about you politics. However, I do not care for your misrepresentation of "facts".

I rely on the CDC for my numbers...the majority of Americans that leave the country go for dentistry and plastic surgery....that's a pretty loose definition of medical procedure. I don't think ACA addresses either.

The people that come here, do so for open heart surgery, HIV treatment, cancer, etc...

Each individual should be in charge of their own healthcare. O-care puts everyone in the shoes of the Vet who is being denied care.

THAT is the point.

It will be difficult for you to meaningfully participate in the discussion when, you do not grasp the topic. ACA is nothing like the VA, in either design or practice.

I rely on the CDC for my numbers...the majority of Americans that leave the country go for dentistry and plastic surgery....that's a pretty loose definition of medical procedure. I don't think ACA addresses either.

The people that come here, do so for open heart surgery, HIV treatment, cancer, etc...

No. You are attempting the same disingenuous political and economic argument as Raptor. You just happen to be employing more deception.

You seem to be the only one that can't connect the dots on this discussion.

Perhaps not but, I am capable of identifying your too typical misrepresentations of "facts". Funny how you are never able to support your claims when challenged.

Perhaps not but, I am capable of identifying your too typical misrepresentations of "facts". Funny how you are never able to support your claims when challenged.

Facts aren't necessary when you get to choose the "dots". ;)

Uh, I believe you and I have engaged in two factual debates of late...one on Takahashi...which you just refuse to accept the plain language of history and financial texts; so I frankly don't see the need to respond further on that one....and this one...which, per the CDC, the #1 and #2 reasons American's go abroad for healthcare are cosmetic dentistry and plastic surgery. Now, I guess technically, those do constitute healthcare...however, I don't think either is a symptom of a failed American healthcare system...it's called vain people looking for cheap plastic surgery....Now, if you want to talk real healthcare...then again, as I pointed out; people come here for HIV treatment, cancer and heart procedures...it really doesn't take much to find this stuff Ichy. By the way, the Canadians are the #1 foreign consumer of US healthcare.

Now, if your assertion that the VA is not like healthcare under ACA; I guess you could argue that point....I don't think you would really get many to support your assertion because ACA and the VA are both train-wrecks and are both Gov't sponsored healthcare. Both are examples of what happens when you put Gov't in charge of just about anything... poor performance, excess costs, and lack of accountability. And again, having actually had real life experience with Gov't mandated healthcare in 3 other countries; I speak from personal experience or what is coming our way.

Feel bad for the guy. I applied for a patient representative position with the VA whose responsibility it would be to address his issues, answer his questions, provided him with information and options and provide information to upper level administration about his concerns.

Further inquiry into the job reveals that the VA is, and for the most part has been only hiring Veterans. So sorry Mr. Dorsey, I would really like to help you and I am a huge supporter of outsourcing mental needs to private psychologist. You will have to get your fellow veterans to fix this one for you.

Hell I have even placed several calls and left messages with a Mr. Hawkins in Montgomery trying to supply volunteer work for the VA to aid them and to get experience and better look into the system. He is never in his office, nor will he return my calls. All other attempts at volunteering always end up with contact Mr. Hawkins.

THAT is the point.

It will be difficult for you to meaningfully participate in the discussion when, you do not grasp the topic. ACA is nothing like the VA, in either design or practice.

I fully grasp the topic. You're trollish attempt to suggest otherwise speaks poorly of you. The ACA isn't by any stretch a finished product. It, in its current form, is designed to fail. As it will. What will follow, as Obama has himself plainly stated, is single payer, govt run healthcare. He's putting private HC on a course which will put it in the same disastrous state as the VA.

As for the VA ? Yes, its troubles far predate Obama. No one denies that. But he made it a particular point of his 1st campaign to fix it. Not only is it not getting fixed, the continued mess is actually making matters worse.

Uh, I believe you and I have engaged in two factual debates of late...one on Takahashi...which you just refuse to accept the plain language of history and financial texts; so I frankly don't see the need to respond further on that one....and this one...which, per the CDC, the #1 and #2 reasons American's go abroad for healthcare are cosmetic dentistry and plastic surgery. Now, I guess technically, those do constitute healthcare...however, I don't think either is a symptom of a failed American healthcare system...it's called vain people looking for cheap plastic surgery....Now, if you want to talk real healthcare...then again, as I pointed out; people come here for HIV treatment, cancer and heart procedures...it really doesn't take much to find this stuff Ichy. By the way, the Canadians are the #1 foreign consumer of US healthcare.

Now, if your assertion that the VA is not like healthcare under ACA; I guess you could argue that point....I don't think you would really get many to support your assertion because ACA and the VA are both train-wrecks and are both Gov't sponsored healthcare. Both are examples of what happens when you put Gov't in charge of just about anything... poor performance, excess costs, and lack of accountability. And again, having actually had real life experience with Gov't mandated healthcare in 3 other countries; I speak from personal experience or what is coming our way.

No. Twice you have chosen to distort the truth and, twice you have been incapable of defending what is simply NOT factual.

Archived