2013 IB is the most legendary game I think I'll ever ever see

I cried after the 3-2 game against St. PBR's didn't come close to helping.

The only thing that made that game better was the horrible season we had in 2012. Compared to that, even a 3-2 win over Miss State seems great.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for kicks, this is my favorite writeup/recap from that game.

http://www.collegean...8539.1435760865

"CHRIS DAVIS JUST RETURNED A MISSED FIELD GOAL 109 YARDS FOR A TOUCHDOWN. ON THE LAST PLAY OF THE GAME. TO BEAT NO. 1 ALABAMA. AUBURN IS 11-1 AND GOING TO PLAY IN THE SEC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. THIS IS A THING THAT IS HAPPENING. IT DOESN'T SEEM TO BE A DREAM...

HOW DID THAT HAPPEN? WHERE ARE WE AND WHAT IS THIS EXISTENCE. ARE SPORTS CANCELED FROM HERE ON OUT, OR DO WE CALL SPORTS SOMETHING ELSE FROM NOW ON? BECAUSE NOTHING ANYONE EVER WATCHES THAT IS LABELED AS "SPORTS" WILL EVER BE IN THE SAME UNIVERSE AS THE 2013 IRON BOWL. AUBURN 34, ALABAMA 28 IS SOMETHING ELSE."

I was at my sister' hose n B'ham...watching in HD..listening on the radio...so I heard the play before I saw it. Cursing that there should not be a second added...screaming at my sister & wife to be quiet & watch as they were just yapping and not paying attention! I was ready to drive at AU after the game to celebrate....probably the ??? beers that I had consumed that afternoon!! We stayed in B'ham and I sat up that night watching the repeat later that night.

My best friend had gotten married the week before, and their honeymoon was a cruise that returned to port in Jacksonville Iron Bowl Saturday (I've already given him heck for getting married during football season). He told me to try and save him a seat in the student section, but his wife told him he was crazy and he'd be better off selling them (she's a converted Bammer who became an AU grad with little football interest either way) because there was no chance they'd make it back.

In his stubbornness, my friend kept his ticket, their ship reached port two hours early, and he drove back in time to make it exactly at the kickoff. I kid him every time I see him that God was looking out for the future ofhis marriage that day, because that would have been an awful game to miss, honeymoon or not

Just for kicks, this is my favorite writeup/recap from that game.

http://www.collegean...8539.1435760865

"CHRIS DAVIS JUST RETURNED A MISSED FIELD GOAL 109 YARDS FOR A TOUCHDOWN. ON THE LAST PLAY OF THE GAME. TO BEAT NO. 1 ALABAMA. AUBURN IS 11-1 AND GOING TO PLAY IN THE SEC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. THIS IS A THING THAT IS HAPPENING. IT DOESN'T SEEM TO BE A DREAM...

HOW DID THAT HAPPEN? WHERE ARE WE AND WHAT IS THIS EXISTENCE. ARE SPORTS CANCELED FROM HERE ON OUT, OR DO WE CALL SPORTS SOMETHING ELSE FROM NOW ON? BECAUSE NOTHING ANYONE EVER WATCHES THAT IS LABELED AS "SPORTS" WILL EVER BE IN THE SAME UNIVERSE AS THE 2013 IRON BOWL. AUBURN 34, ALABAMA 28 IS SOMETHING ELSE."

A little restrained IYAM but pretty good ;)

As great as the Kick Six was, with me it doesn't top 17-16. Maybe it was the times, maybe it was whuppin' Da' Bahr, or maybe it is because I was sitting right in the end zone where both blocked punts and earlier, a blocked bammer extra point happened. I don't usually enjoy Birmingham, but that night up there was fun!

i was there and the game was great, really better than great. but my last game as a student was the 89 IB. for me, nothing will ever surpass that game.

Its the 89 IB for me, at the time we lived (now AUBURN) in north Alabama in the heart of redneck bama country, all I heard all year was, we'll never play there again, (will get the State legislator to pass a law that forces the game to be played in Birmingham) we are going to whip you 100 to 0, will we have to ware boots and step over the cow s----, and own and own. The worst person was our Sunday School teacher. I went to the game as well as taped it on my VCR. Watched it when I got home, went to bed, couldn't sleep, watched it again, went to early Church. Boss (wife) would not let to talk or say a word to any of them. After 10 minutes a lady ask if the SS teacher was going to teach the lesson. He said not until Ray says something. I thought of all the couch time I would be spending if I say the wrong thing. So I just said, Ed, there is nothing I can say to make you feel worse than you already feel, so there is no need to for me to say anything. He read a few line from the SS book and ended the class. To me church is no place for rivalry football discussion, but I want to say a lots to the whole class and almost everyone I knew and reminding they of all the BS I had to hear for a year. At the time, it really chapped the bama fans to be forced to play the game in Auburn and then for us to win the game, is priceless.

Its the 89 IB for me, at the time we lived (now AUBURN) in north Alabama in the heart of redneck bama country, all I heard all year was, we'll never play there again, (will get the State legislator to pass a law that forces the game to be played in Birmingham) we are going to whip you 100 to 0, will we have to ware boots and step over the cow s----, and own and own. The worst person was our Sunday School teacher. I went to the game as well as taped it on my VCR. Watched it when I got home, went to bed, couldn't sleep, watched it again, went to early Church. Boss (wife) would not let to talk or say a word to any of them. After 10 minutes a lady ask if the SS teacher was going to teach the lesson. He said not until Ray says something. I thought of all the couch time I would be spending if I say the wrong thing. So I just said, Ed, there is nothing I can say to make you feel worse than you already feel, so there is no need to for me to say anything. He read a few line from the SS book and ended the class. To me church is no place for rivalry football discussion, but I want to say a lots to the whole class and almost everyone I knew and reminding they of all the BS I had to hear for a year. At the time, it really chapped the bama fans to be forced to play the game in Auburn and then for us to win the game, is priceless.

great story I was at the game as well almost didn't make it back to Auburn........long story

Yeah I remember hearing all their griping about playing in Auburn that year. That game was magnificent. I'll never forget that experience.

I never get tired of watching the Kick Six, but I loved what our defense did to UAT in the second half of the 2010 Iron Bowl (completely broke their spirit with most of their stars limping off the field).

For me it had to be the AU vs UF game in 2001. UF a huge favorite and ranked #1 in many polls. Wife had gotten tickets for my birthday earlier in the year and frankly watching UF slaughter AU was not my idea of a great gift.

But we went, sat through bad weather and saw AU play a game of the century and win on a FG with about 10 seconds to go in the game....wind had died down just in time for Damon Duval to kick the game winning FG. Probably one of the most surprising wins of the Tubs era.

See highlights here: https://search.yahoo...9&fr2=p:my,m:sb

For me it had to be the AU vs UF game in 2001. UF a huge favorite and ranked #1 in many polls. Wife had gotten tickets for my birthday earlier in the year and frankly watching UF slaughter AU was not my idea of a great gift.

But we went, sat through bad weather and saw AU play a game of the century and win on a FG with about 10 seconds to go in the game....wind had died down just in time for Damon Duval to kick the game winning FG. Probably one of the most surprising wins of the Tubs era.

See highlights here: https://search.yahoo...9&fr2=p:my,m:sb

I was there too!! Was dreading that game. I remember is was pouring down rain that day but it was a night game and stopped raining at game time. Hubs and I debated whether or not to go because we too thought we were going to get beat badly. We kept thinking, "do we want to go sit in the rain to watch us get killed?" Glad we went!! Our seats (mini season tickets) were in the middle of gator fans so it was a sweet win!!

The 89 is probably my favorite. Had to be there to understand the magnitude of the build up. Was awesome.

Can yall believe how many #1 teams auburn has beaten over the years. We have to be right at the top for all time wins over #1 ranked teams. Even more fun when it's a rival.

89' was great! Bama was scared to play us in auburn, that comfort level that they had felt in b'ham was gone. Although to me the refs still kept it closer then what it should have been

The 89 is probably my favorite. Had to be there to understand the magnitude of the build up. Was awesome.

Can yall believe how many #1 teams auburn has beaten over the years. We have to be right at the top for all time wins over #1 ranked teams. Even more fun when it's a rival.

I will do some more digging later, but I found this website: https://sportsdelve.wordpress.com/2011/08/25/college-football-record-versus-the-ap-no-1/

It's a few years old, but by far the most successful vs #1s is Miami (FL) with 9 wins, 7 losses. I'll go do legwork and add in the last 4 years, but I'm pretty sure they'll stay on top.

Bo over the top in B'ham Legion Field, and Pat Dye finally getting AU a win over Bama after 9 years!!! My favorite Iron Bowl win ever. Took down one of the goal posts too.

I will do some more digging later, but I found this website: https://sportsdelve....us-the-ap-no-1/

It's a few years old, but by far the most successful vs #1s is Miami (FL) with 9 wins, 7 losses. I'll go do legwork and add in the last 4 years, but I'm pretty sure they'll stay on top.

Unfortunately, it appears Bama is actually by far the most successful in term of winning percentage (5-3). I'm actually shocked there's not a host of 1-win wonders batting 1.000. I'm also shocked Miami has played the number 1 team so much more than everyone else.

ETA: I was wrong about Miami playing #1 more than anyone else.

Notre Dame has played the most games against AP No. 1’s (25 games). Followed by Oklahoma (22 games) and Michigan (21 games).

Witnessed 89, 01 fla, go crazy, all of 10, MNC and I still say When you look at the entire picture, KICK SIX was the most epic game I've ever witnessed in person. The feeling on that field after the game with my family is one of the most precious memories of my life and I thank the Good Lord for it.

There are a lot of great games mentioned here (I keep waiting for Golf to start reminiscing about the 1913 nail biter with Vandy... :tease:), but honestly, I believe the 2013 Iron Bowl is indeed a cut above the rest...just not for the reason everyone thinks. Yes, the Kick Six was insane in and of itself, and no, an NCAA Division I game has never ended with a field goal return for a touchdown, but to me, that alone doesn't even touch the 89 Iron Bowl, and I can think of a handful of games that meant at least as much to the AU Family from a historical perspective. The Interception Game in 94. Nix to Sanders in the Swamp that same year. The aforementioned Punt Bama Punt and Bo Over the Top. The Camback and BCSNCG in 2010.

But no, what sets the 2013 iteration of the Iron Bowl apart from all the rest is what happened after the Kick Six.

Because of the "Immaculate Deflection" bringing such an emotional outburst two weeks prior, Jordan-Hare was buzzing something special even for it being a top 5 matchup in the Iron Bowl. And of course, marching down the field like a hot knife through butter to tie the game prior to Bama's final drive had the place set to pop...it just wasn't supposed to happen until overtime. Then, Chris "OMG!" Davis hit the edge perfectly, sprinted into the end zone, and the entire stadium of people spontaneously descended onto the field. Old school Auburn men and women have unanimously told me they'd never seen anything like it on the Plains, and I know full well I haven't seen it in my 31 years.

To me, THAT is what solidifies exactly how legendary the game was. 20 years from now, they'll still be playing that one back on highlight reels, the way they still show Flutie's "Miracle in Miami" and the Cal-Stanford band play. They'll probably even have a quick highlight of the next to last play and Little Nicky arguing for that second to be put back on the clock, if only to play up the "Got a Second?" slogan and stir the pot.

But a lightening in the bottle play like that, even if it was the second one in as many rivalry games, is just that: lightening in a bottle. That kind of thing happens, and while the circumstances of winner take all for the SEC West and a shot at the BCSNC make it legendary on a different scale than most of those I mentioned at the start, that scale is at a national level.

To Auburn men and women, however, having the crowd suddenly spill out onto the field afterward, the likes of which have never been seen at Jordan-Hare, is ours. And that's how legends bloom.

There are a lot of great games mentioned here (I keep waiting for Golf to start reminiscing about the 1913 nail biter with Vandy... :tease:), but honestly, I believe the 2013 Iron Bowl is indeed a cut above the rest...just not for the reason everyone thinks. Yes, the Kick Six was insane in and of itself, and no, an NCAA Division I game has never ended with a field goal return for a touchdown, but to me, that alone doesn't even touch the 89 Iron Bowl, and I can think of a handful of games that meant at least as much to the AU Family from a historical perspective. The Interception Game in 94. Nix to Sanders in the Swamp that same year. The aforementioned Punt Bama Punt and Bo Over the Top. The Camback and BCSNCG in 2010.

But no, what sets the 2013 iteration of the Iron Bowl apart from all the rest is what happened after the Kick Six.

Because of the "Immaculate Deflection" bringing such an emotional outburst two weeks prior, Jordan-Hare was buzzing something special even for it being a top 5 matchup in the Iron Bowl. And of course, marching down the field like a hot knife through butter to tie the game prior to Bama's final drive had the place set to pop...it just wasn't supposed to happen until overtime. Then, Chris "OMG!" Davis hit the edge perfectly, sprinted into the end zone, and the entire stadium of people spontaneously descended onto the field. Old school Auburn men and women have unanimously told me they'd never seen anything like it on the Plains, and I know full well I haven't seen it in my 31 years.

To me, THAT is what solidifies exactly how legendary the game was. 20 years from now, they'll still be playing that one back on highlight reels, the way they still show Flutie's "Miracle in Miami" and the Cal-Stanford band play. They'll probably even have a quick highlight of the next to last play and Little Nicky arguing for that second to be put back on the clock, if only to play up the "Got a Second?" slogan and stir the pot.

But a lightening in the bottle play like that, even if it was the second one in as many rivalry games, is just that: lightening in a bottle. That kind of thing happens, and while the circumstances of winner take all for the SEC West and a shot at the BCSNC make it legendary on a different scale than most of those I mentioned at the start, that scale is at a national level.

To Auburn men and women, however, having the crowd suddenly spill out onto the field afterward, the likes of which have never been seen at Jordan-Hare, is ours. And that's how legends bloom.

Are you trying to write a book again red? j/k j/k

Yeah, that's what is so striking to me about the UGA and IB finishes in '13- they both happened at home. Whatever the infinitesimal chances of both of those things happening against our 2 biggest rivals are, divide them by half to arrive at our chances of them happening at JH.

Archived