CNN Poll: Majority See Confederate Flag as Southern Pride Symbol

DKW 86

http://www.waff.com/story/29459881/cnn-polls-shows-majority-of-people-see-confederate-flag-as-southern-pride-symbol

According to the new CNN/ORC poll, 57% of Americans see the flag more as a symbol of Southern pride than as a symbol of racism, which is similar to the year 2000 when 59% said they saw it as a symbol of pride.

However, in the South, 75% of whites say it's a symbol of pride and 18% call it racism while 75% of African-Americans in the South saying it is a symbol of racism and 11% disagree, according to CNN.

I think it offends a bunch of my friends, and while i am a Southerner, i would rather have my friends than a flag.

1 Corinthians 8:9

Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak.

1 Corinthians 8:13

Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother or sister to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause them to fall.

1 Corinthians 14:20

It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

Should have read...majority of white Americans see it as a Southern pride symbol. Every other group, especially blacks, see it much differently.

Should have read...majority of white Americans see it as a Southern pride symbol. Every other group, especially blacks, see it much differently.

What difference does it make what color they are? They are Americans and they took the poll, then that's all that really matters, right ?

What difference does it make what color they are? They are Americans and they took the poll, then that's all that really matters, right ?

It matters because it naturally has an entirely different connotations to different groups of people. It isn't simply a matter of what the group who has no connection to the hurt and shame the South afflicted on an entire racial group thinks of it.

He really meant to say that is what White Hetero Southern Americans...race and sex are really the only things that matter, right?

It matters because it naturally has an entirely different connotations to different groups of people. It isn't simply a matter of what the group who has no connection to the hurt and shame the South afflicted on an entire racial group thinks of it.

So only the opinion of the black Americans matter? Why even poll the white Americans?

I'm surprised that 11% of blacks in the south disagree. Add that to the 75% of whites and you have an overwhelming majority of people who are on the same "page".

So only the opinion of the black Americans matter? Why even poll the white Americans?

That is not what I said.

But the poll is radically different depending on what race you're talking to. Leaving it at "Americans" doesn't really do it justice and gives the impression that there's some broad consensus making up that 57% majority. But it's extremely weighted based on which race you are.

I was partly being sarcastic, but a better headline would indicate the stark divide not only racially but regionally.

Let me ask you a follow up: If you held a poll in Germany (or here) and asked whether the Nazi flag represented German pride and history or anti-semitism, do you think it might matter a bit more what the Jews polled think than ethnic Germans? Especially if the "pride and history" argument were being used as a reason to keep it as a socially acceptable thing to display in public?

http://www.waff.com/...rn-pride-symbol

According to the new CNN/ORC poll, 57% of Americans see the flag more as a symbol of Southern pride than as a symbol of racism, which is similar to the year 2000 when 59% said they saw it as a symbol of pride.

However, in the South, 75% of whites say it's a symbol of pride and 18% call it racism while 75% of African-Americans in the South saying it is a symbol of racism and 11% disagree, according to CNN.

I think it offends a bunch of my friends, and while i am a Southerner, i would rather have my friends than a flag.

Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak.

Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother or sister to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause them to fall.

It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

I like that statement. I think it reflects someone who is thoughtful and mature. I think it reflects the perspective of, the correct answer is both but, one outweighs the other. :bow:

Leaves me wondering how many different people are posting under DKW's account. :poke:

I'm surprised that 11% of blacks in the south disagree. Add that to the 75% of whites and you have an overwhelming majority of people who are on the same "page".

Are you serious or, are you just trying to give me a headache?

The two choices are Southern "heritage" or white supremacy.

And you can't figure out why color should make a difference? :lmao:

I'm serious in the fact that 11% of the blacks in the south agreed that the flag meant pride and not hate....and if you put the two together that is a big % overall. Step away from the Tylenol. ;)

http://www.waff.com/...rn-pride-symbol

I like that statement. I think it reflects someone who is thoughtful and mature. I think it reflects the perspective of, the correct answer is both but, one outweighs the other. :bow:

Leaves me wondering how many different people are posting under DKW's account. :poke:

Kind of scary ain't it?

Of course the irony here is that "heritage" or "pride" is not really defined.

The only thing that's not in doubt is the flag's actual history.

I'm serious in the fact that 11% of the blacks in the south agreed that the flag meant pride and not hate....and if you put the two together that is a big % overall. Step away from the Tylenol. ;)

Heck, I am still trying to understand Clarence Thomas, Thomas Sowell, Herman Caine, Allen West, Ben Carson....

Nothing to understand....or....are you saying they are Uncle Toms because they are conservative? :-\

irony deepens when the poster claims to have southern values

Heck, I am still trying to understand Clarence Thomas, Thomas Sowell, Herman Caine, Allen West, Ben Carson....

So blacks can only think one way?

So blacks can only think one way?

That's the liberal marching orders...all others be damned.

And that of the rest of the world. Cough Cough Cough

That is not how math works!

Did I misread something or did it say that 75% of whites and 11% of blacks in the south though that the flag represented pride and not hate? Did I miss something.

Did I misread something or did it say that 75% of whites and 11% of blacks in the south though that the flag represented pride and not hate? Did I miss something.

Well, I'm not sure of how the population is divided and, not sure what qualifies as white but, you do not necessarily have an "overwhelming majority".

Well, I'm not sure of how the population is divided and, not sure what qualifies as white but, you do not necessarily have an "overwhelming majority".

Ok...overwhelming majority of the people polled. Fair enough? ;)

Ok...overwhelming majority of the people polled. Fair enough? ;)

57% is overwhelming?

Archived