Obama administration blocking any Redskins move to D.C. over name, per report

AURaptor

More tyranny from the Imperial Federal Govt.

I understand the PERSONAL opinion, but this far exceeds the proper function of govt. Period.

FedEx Field is only 18 years old. Even so, Snyder is looking to get out of the stadium before the team's lease expires in 2026. D.C. owns RFK Stadium, the Redskins' former home and the site of one proposed new stadium. However, the federal government owns the land on which RFK stands, and a report in the Washington Post indicates the name is a significant impediment in allowing the team to return to the District.

According to the Post, Interior Secretary Sally Jewell informed Washington's mayor, Muriel E. Bowser, that the federal government likely would not permit the construction of a new stadium with the team's current name in place. The "Redskins" name has drawn significant heat from protest groups for its racial connotations; team officials and supporters contend that the team's name is indicative of bravery, heritage and tradition.

Jewell has long been a critic of the team's name. “Personally, I think we would never consider naming a team the ‘Blackskins’ or the ‘Brownskins’ or the ‘Whiteskins,’" she said in an ABC interview last fall. "So, personally, I find it surprising that in this day and age, the name is not different."

The District of Columbia leases the RFK Stadium land, as well as surrounding property, from the National Park Service. That lease is scheduled to expire in 22 years. D.C. is competing against Virginia for the possible construction of a new Redskins stadium site.

Story

Her personal opinion should not play a role in what an NFL team does w/ its name. If ever there was an abuse of power and a message of what is wrong w/ govt today, this is it. And especially fitting on the 4th of July weekend.

How long before the "WAR" is taken away from "Eagle".......

If one extrapolates the origin of the 'war eagle ' legend, then Auburn is perpetuating a racist, white supremacists societal mindset by honoring a symbol which glorifies the act of fighting for the Confederacy.

We need to erase all references to 'War Eagle ' from a state funded institution.

Careful.....the progressives are already meeting in the sewing circle room :big:

" It's a slogan of hatred, is what it is ! "

I can already hear 'em.

Holy crap...didn't think about that. It has ties to the confederacy so it must be stopped. Oh well.

In unison: "but that's different!"

I think we are in the clear. Those Ole Miss fighting rebels though...

Might it be safe because George S. Patton rode in a jeep w/ the words 'war eagle ' on it ? I say YES !

Might it be safe because George S. Patton rode in a jeep w/ the words 'war eagle ' on it ? I say YES !

That makes it worse. An American war general and Patton at that, that's not good. The last has never really liked him.

I think we are in the clear. Those Ole Miss fighting rebels though...

:big:

Politics aside, I always thought if they were going to change, they could just replace Col. Reb with a Minuteman and be the Rebels of 1776. Their current colors would even remain appropriate. But "Bears", "Rebel Bears" or whatever? I'm sorry, but one William Faulkner story does not a Mascot make, even in Oxford! :rolleyes:

I suppose we and the pachyderms had best be on the watch for PETA. ;)

Kind of ironic considering both species are teetering on the edge of extinction, at least in the wild.

Bald Eagles are off the endangered list, I believe.

Elephants and Rhinos, however...

Guys... let's keep the origin of War Eagle a closely guarded secret, at least until the current media generated whitewashing hysteria dies down. Should be any day now, I'm surprised and supremely disappointed its gone on this long.

Back on topic, the Redskins not being able to move back to RFK is fine by me. I get tired of seeing all these new stadiums built. What could possibly be so wrong with playing in a stadium that's been in existence for all of 18 years? Particularly when these teams are able to make these moves thanks to heavy taxpayer subsidies that never bring a ROI. That's called government propping up a private business, and we should all oppose it.

Additionally, while I despise the pansies and wish they'd leave that dead horse alone, if the land is federally owned, the federal government should determine who can purchase or lease it and under what terms- so long as no natural rights are being violated. That's the same standard I expect from them when it comes to our privately owned land, it seems only fitting to reciprocate.

Unfortunately, tigers are one of the MOST endangered species. :(

Don't care, haven't shot a human in 7+ years, but show me a man about to shoot a bald eagle and I'll show you a man about to break my peaceful streak.... pretty sure I'm not alone in that lol

... I get tired of seeing all these new stadiums built. What could possibly be so wrong with playing in a stadium that's been in existence for all of 18 years?

Yep. And on the college level I get tired of the arms race to constantly update locker rooms ("...but our renovations of 5-10 years ago are the oldest in the conference! How can we possibly compete in recruiting!") and the growing trend to change uniform designs at the drop of a hat or just to dress different one game a year.

Unfortunately, tigers are one of the MOST endangered species. :(

Tigers and elephants are not native to North America. Golden Eagles and Bald Eagles are and both are being taken better care of in the wild.

More tyranny from the Imperial Federal Govt.

I understand the PERSONAL opinion, but this far exceeds the proper function of govt. Period.

FedEx Field is only 18 years old. Even so, Snyder is looking to get out of the stadium before the team's lease expires in 2026. D.C. owns RFK Stadium, the Redskins' former home and the site of one proposed new stadium. However, the federal government owns the land on which RFK stands, and a report in the Washington Post indicates the name is a significant impediment in allowing the team to return to the District.

According to the Post, Interior Secretary Sally Jewell informed Washington's mayor, Muriel E. Bowser, that the federal government likely would not permit the construction of a new stadium with the team's current name in place. The "Redskins" name has drawn significant heat from protest groups for its racial connotations; team officials and supporters contend that the team's name is indicative of bravery, heritage and tradition.

Jewell has long been a critic of the team's name. “Personally, I think we would never consider naming a team the ‘Blackskins’ or the ‘Brownskins’ or the ‘Whiteskins,’" she said in an ABC interview last fall. "So, personally, I find it surprising that in this day and age, the name is not different."

The District of Columbia leases the RFK Stadium land, as well as surrounding property, from the National Park Service. That lease is scheduled to expire in 22 years. D.C. is competing against Virginia for the possible construction of a new Redskins stadium site.

Story

Her personal opinion should not play a role in what an NFL team does w/ its name. If ever there was an abuse of power and a message of what is wrong w/ govt today, this is it. And especially fitting on the 4th of July weekend.

They need to be careful. The NFL NY Jets and Giants haven played a game in the city of New York in years. They could just be the Washington Redskins in Fairfax, Virginia, etc.

If they really want them to change the name, just move the team to Toronto, Canada and pick a brand new name. Toronto wants an NFL team bad enough they would even take the Buffalo Bills.

And they have national healthcare there too.............

The Toronto First Nations..........

bills+in+canada.JPG

Guys... let's keep the origin of War Eagle a closely guarded secret, at least until the current media generated whitewashing hysteria dies down. Should be any day now, I'm surprised and supremely disappointed its gone on this long.

Back on topic, the Redskins not being able to move back to RFK is fine by me. I get tired of seeing all these new stadiums built. What could possibly be so wrong with playing in a stadium that's been in existence for all of 18 years? Particularly when these teams are able to make these moves thanks to heavy taxpayer subsidies that never bring a ROI. That's called government propping up a private business, and we should all oppose it.

Additionally, while I despise the pansies and wish they'd leave that dead horse alone, if the land is federally owned, the federal government should determine who can purchase or lease it and under what terms- so long as no natural rights are being violated. That's the same standard I expect from them when it comes to our privately owned land, it seems only fitting to reciprocate.

The Washington Redskins have had the name since 1933. For some bureaucratic wanker to arbitrarily and unilaterally decide the team needs to change its name well exceeds their power.

This isn't Russia.

Surprised the right wing Christians have not gotten involved in this. Hate for them to go and watch a football game that had symbols that represented savage pagans:

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/01/21/oklahoma-license-plate-lawsuit-dismissed-federal-court-153179

Also. No supporting anything that could be considered sexual in nature. So no LGBTALY vanity tag:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/24/oklahoma-lgbt-license-plate/

And then..............oh just dear God! Will somebody get her some buffalo hide or buckskin please!

9948_large5.jpg

Or when the original of this got banned (rays of sunshine are bad!):

OK4.jpg

Too similar to (veterans cried about this one):

Japanese-Rising-Sun-Flag-300x300.png

Now I agree with the Comanches and several other tribes in Oklahoma that dislike the term "Redskin". If you have lived there you know exactly how the term is used. But let's be honest, the Republicans of Oklahoma have long been putting the X or trying to with things that they find to be offensive. Honestly I am surprised that they have not tried to change the state flag of Oklahoma yet.

So to recap: Native Americans images in Oklahoma = Offensive. Saying you are a Ally to a non heterosexual = offensive. Sunsets and sunrises in Oklahoma = offensive. Don't like the term Redskins = just being silly.

The Washington Redskins have had the name since 1933. For some bureaucratic wanker to arbitrarily and unilaterally decide the team needs to change its name well exceeds their power.

This isn't Russia.

The orgin of the name actually is interesting. As it is also argued that the icon used by the Redskins also represents the scalps that were turned in for pay:

54db9c3d6dc2a_-_redskins1-gtp0as.png

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a29318/redskin-name-update/

The use of Redskins with the scalps would actually make perfect sense for the person that gave them the name. Marshall wouldn't even allow blacks on the team for something like 15 years after they could play in the league.

Then the story about the marketing ploy to just play off of the Boston Braves at the time might also be true.

This isn't Russia.

So, keep the name, and stay in your more than adequate current stadium. I do not want the name changed.

It's not about liking the team or thinking nfl owners are too fickle with their stadia, but the over reach of power by the govt, and by 1 lone unelected bureaucrat.

Archived