Unidentified Walk-on (Reddit)

Found this post on reddit.com/r/cfb from a player telling his story of walking on at AU. 6'5" MLB. Anybody know anything about him?

Right now I am a transfer football player from both Jacksonville State University and Alabama A&M, A&M being the most recent. I walked on at both stops in my college career, Jacksonville was a preferred Walk On opportunity as I was too late to receive any sort of scholarship, and I stayed there for 3 years, my first 2 years being red shirts, the first medical, and the 2nd one making me making eligible for a clock extension waiver. (verified by the NCAA and Auburn). After losing Coach Bill Clark to UAB, I decided to go back home to alabama A&M, transferring and walking on to the team around week 3-4. After walking on, I ended up in the line up within a week, playing in my first game against Mississippi Valley State as a bulldog and scoring 2 sacks as a walked up LB in a 2-4-5 look.

Needless to say, in the middle of the second week, I left the team due to a combination of financial difficulties that arose with my family, as well as the school not carrying my major any longer thus complicating my journey to graduation. I was encouraged to transfer by some co-workers at a job in which I was working to help my family out, and by one of my long time childhood friends who is a basketball player at Auburn.

Fast forward to my visit, I have been able to garner an audience with several of the coaches, talking to them and working to get me eligible by SEC transfer standards, among these have been Will Muschamp, who expressed interest by saying "He looked forwards to coaching me" in a conversation; Coach Garner, who literally did a double take and initiated a conversation getting my info, and Coach Woods, who has been the primary help in getting my issues with eligibility resolved, the primary one being the lack of 2 years which I can get immediately through a clock extension that I was verify-ably eligible for.

I am an inside (primarily)/outside linebacker who has played in 4-3 over, 3-4 multiple, and even 2-4-5 schemes. I have had two knee surgeries which are the reasons that I still have eligibility remaining and this will be my 3rd college. Physically I would say I am not the typical inside backer at 6'5 and weighing 250lbs, however, Bernardrick Mckinney, and a few others have definitely shown that it is possible to boast such size and still be able to play on the inside. I have also played tight end, fullback, and defensive end along my college career so the versatility is there. I'm not one to actually take things as given, but with the reception by most of the players who have assured me that I would definitely make it, and the coaches, who's interest is undeniable, what are my chances of making it as an D1 FCS transfer?

http://www.reddit.co...sfer_to_auburn/

Looks like his name is Kellen Battles. Not much info I could find on him outside of his stints at JSU and Alabama A&M. Appears he played at Sparkman High in Madison County.

Well, in that thread, the gif of the squat is from someone named "Kellen Battles".

Doing some snooping, it looks like he was both on Alabama A&M and on Jacksonville St.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/3159078/kellen-battles

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2570972/kellen-battles

The hudl site has him listed as 253lbs and 6"5' with a 4.79 40 time, which is pretty darn close to what the person in the reddit thread stated.

And a Facebook search turned up this: https://www.facebook.com/number94beastmode

Says from Huntsville, lives in Auburn now.

All that said, checking the participation logs from the 2014 Alabama A&M games, I do not see him listed anywhere.

Who knows. He could very well wind up as a 3 or 4 star rating if he pans out as a DE. Sometimes we hit the jackpot with walk-ons. I know Saban does not give the time of day to walk-ons from what I understand. I hope this young man can contribute one day soon for us.

I remember a TE walked on. Actually swapped from basketball to football at AU as a walk on. People were buzzing about it, then in press conference chizik was asked and said " ~ we are glad to add a big body but don't make more of than that.~" i think that applies here.

I remember a TE walked on. Actually swapped from basketball to football at AU as a walk on. People were buzzing about it, then in press conference chizik was asked and said " ~ we are glad to add a big body but don't make more of than that.~" i think that applies here.

I remember this as well. Regardless this is interesting and I'm keeping an eye on this

I remember hearing about another linebacker who walked on at Auburn. Had a pretty solid career on the Plains. Won the Zeke Smith trophy for team defensive player of the year one time. Even got drafted in the last few rounds.

Of course, he's also third on the NFL's all-time sacks list. Yes, Kevin Greene was definitely one of those who beat all the odds, and Battles likely will not have anything like the impact Greene did, no matter what, purely because of the knee surgeries.

But really, who cares? It doesn't even matter if he ever plays a snap at Auburn...the mere fact that after two knee surgeries and all the troubles he's had to deal with thus far in college, he is STILL paying his own way and playing football at the same time. Anyone who has that kind of heart is going to bring something to the table, even if it's only inspiration for the guys who get in the game on Saturdays in the fall. Remember, as awesome as the movie Rudy is, it's based upon fact. A walk on who didn't play until the last game of his senior year remains the only player ever carried off the field at Notre Dame. That's THE Notre Dame. The same college that has produced more Heisman winners and more NFL draft picks than any other.

Never underestimate the power of a strong heart and a willing spirit.

*Edit* I looked it up after writing this post just to verify, and turns out Ruettiger is one of two Notre Dame players who have been carried off the field, but the second time didn't happen until 1995 (guy named Marc Edwards, of whom I have never heard).

• 5 months later...

Oh I see. Nice.

Flex, as you can see, many on here has Facebook stalked you before..haha. You seem like you have your head on straight and I'm pullin for you in whatever endeavors you pursue. And thanks for proving that not all jocks are stupid.

I'm just surprised that this was actually something that was posted at first. Didn't seem like there would be that much buzz.

flex, are you eligible for next season?

I'm just surprised that this was actually something that was posted at first. Didn't seem like there would be that much buzz.

We're hungry for LBs.

That much is apparent. Hindsight on the part of PP huh?

Probably not barring a miracle, A&M compliance failed me, and JSU's compliance can't work with me unless I'm enrolled. The issue is that Auburn's compliance can't do anything unless I'm on a squad which my status as a walk on definitely indicates otherwise.

We're hungry for LBs.

That much is apparent. Hindsight on the part of PP huh?

Probably not barring a miracle, A&M compliance failed me, and JSU's compliance can't work with me unless I'm enrolled. The issue is that Auburn's compliance can't do anything unless I'm on a squad which my status as a walk on definitely indicates otherwise.

who is working on it?

You kidding me?! When I read that on Reddit, I was appalled, not because of your measurables (as impressive as they are), but more so because I could tell your passion for the game. People (like me) who browse /r/cfb are pretty obviously in love with the game, and that is something that can't be easily taught and is something that is stupid to throw away.

I'm really sorry about how everything went down at Auburn, but if anything it is the teams loss. No doubt you could have (and should have tbh) helped the team, and we lost out on that.

Best of luck to you Flex. I'll definitely be cheering for you wherever you go.

Archived