1,000 yards receiving

LKEEL75

A quick look at wikipedia and I noticed that we have only had 2 WR break 1,000 yards in a single season. The problem is that it was so long ago (1999, 1970) that none of the kids today would even know who these guys are. So, do you think Duke & JJ will break the drought this year? Personally I would love to see him blow the record to bits.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darvin Adams had 997 with Todd and 963 with Newton. Duke had 730 last year. That was sharing the ball with a 3rd round pick and not playing some games due to injury. If he stays healthy, I would absolutely think he will go over 1,000.

i just posted this over in the recruiting forum and thought it might be better placed here ....

i cant help but think we average slightly higher than 300 yards in the air this year. I am hoping we play 15 games (wink wink) ... thats 4500 yards minimum through the air. That is a lot of yards for a handful of receivers. I really believe we are looking at something between the 2013 stats and Gus's tulsa offensive stats.

i looked at tulsa stats from 2006 to 2007 ... rushing went from 2100 yards to 2400 yards and passing jumped from 2944 to 5194. holy cow! I don't expect the same type of yards per game in the air, but do expect us to have a couple of more games than tulsa did. that is alot of yards to spread around. that 2007 tulsa team had 3 - 1000 yard receivers. crazy.

edit: oh yea, gus still had his traditional 1000 yard rusher in that 2007 season also. so our "primary" running back will get his stats too

Those are interesting #s mustache. 4500 yards through the air with 3000 yards on the ground (average 200 per game for 15 games). That would be some amazing offensive output. I do think we have the talent to do it, but can Gus & co keep them motivated each and every week to bring out their best. That is one problem with the SEC West. It is a gauntlet of teams that can beat you if you are not at your best that day. Hopefully we have a healthy season with no major injuries and we will see that 1,000 yrd mark this year.

Duke's going to face a lot of double coverage, at least until another guy steps up and forces defenses to play him honest. I think Ricardo will be that guy. A healthy Ricardo Louis will be a more effective deep threat than a less-than-healthy Sammie was last year IMO. And Marcus Davis is going to be that clutch possession receiver we've been looking for. Go back and watch that last drive against MSU. Dude is nails. And they're all going to play with a lot more confidence when they know that every ball that arrives in their zip code might not be the last one they see for awhile. There will be more attempts to go around and they will be better thrown balls. It's not just about talent. This WR corps is going to have an easier job than any Auburn group has had in 10 years.

Who's our answer for losing CJ?

Great question. I definitely think we're going to see our HB get a lot of the looks that went to the TEs the last couple years, but we still need one. Not sure if Chris Laye or Jalen Harris are really ready to grab the reigns? Maybe Chandler Cox takes some snaps out there? Does Melvin Ray slide in at all a la Anthony Mix? I've answered your question with not just one, but several questions. I am, undoubtedly, the worst.

Great question. I definitely think we're going to see our HB get a lot of the looks that went to the TEs the last couple years, but we still need one. Not sure if Chris Laye or Jalen Harris are really ready to grab the reigns? Maybe Chandler Cox takes some snaps out there? Does Melvin Ray slide in at all a la Anthony Mix? I've answered your question with not just one, but several questions. I am, undoubtedly, the worst.

Harris was Lutz's guy, right?

Reason I asked is because Uzomah's size was an incredible asset inside the red zone. If we can't replicate his presence, it will be sorely missed.

Harris was Lutz's guy, right?

Reason I asked is because Uzomah's size was an incredible asset inside the red zone. If we can't replicate his presence, it will be sorely missed.

Correct and agreed. I feel sorry for CJ that he never got to play in a more effective passing attack. I won't be surprised if we surpass his production at that position without having actually replaced his ability.

I don't think we will be able to do a like for like replacement for CJ.

My guess is an HB (ala Eric smith) and Melvin ray combo. If one of the young more traditional tight ends steps up ... I'll be ok with that too. That is the beauty of malzahn... Dude can make it work with whatever personnel.

The thing about CGM's passing game is that, with a good passer who can go through his reads quickly and then has the accuracy to make the throws, is that a lot of different receivers get the ball. JJ is a much better passer than NM was. You'll remember that, in the first half against Arkansas last year, JJ hit 6 different receivers for almost 250 yards (and no INTs - YAY!). Yes, CGM's overall offensive strategy is to stretch vertically in order to keep the defense from loading the box. But JJ is better at exploiting weaknesses all over the field.

Duke will be the primary receiver this year, but he may get more double coverage just because of the threat he presents. That's going to open up the secondary for other receivers. Auburn could have huge passing numbers, but end up with the receiving yards split up between 5 receivers. Because, fact is, Auburn has a lot of talent out there this year -- guys who can catch the ball and gobble up yards in space. Guys are going to get their chances with JJ at the helm.

The thing about CGM's passing game is that, with a good passer who can go through his reads quickly and then has the accuracy to make the throws, is that a lot of different receivers get the ball. JJ is a much better passer than NM was. You'll remember that, in the first half against Arkansas last year, JJ hit 6 different receivers for almost 250 yards (and no INTs - YAY!). Yes, CGM's overall offensive strategy is to stretch vertically in order to keep the defense from loading the box. But JJ is better at exploiting weaknesses all over the field.

Duke will be the primary receiver this year, but he may get more double coverage just because of the threat he presents. That's going to open up the secondary for other receivers. Auburn could have huge passing numbers, but end up with the receiving yards split up between 5 receivers. Because, fact is, Auburn has a lot of talent out there this year -- guys who can catch the ball and gobble up yards in space. Guys are going to get their chances with JJ at the helm.

yeah but don't forget....even when Duuuuuke is covered he's open

Although I knew of this stat before, that is a shockingly low number of WRs with 1000 yard seasons for such an accomplished program like AU. Especially in the modern era. I'm sure other schools are using that stat against AU in recruiting, esp recruiting WRs. I wonder how many WRs have had 1000 yard seasons in the country since Ronney Daniels had his.

I'll say this- Burton is going to break out. Wouldn't shock me if he gets the Sammie role this year.

Is Burton that fast?

4.52, according to CDC.

http://www.auburntig..._jr_884350.html

So, not even close. And, I don't want to misinterpret what you said OxPx, but Sammie's role was primarily to stretch the field, and in the screen game as I saw it. Not to say that Burton won't have a big role, if that's what you meant. He very well could, but he I wouldn't expect him to fill that role. But hey, what do I know? :dunno:

I'll say this- Burton is going to break out. Wouldn't shock me if he gets the Sammie role this year.

Is Burton that fast?

4.52, according to CDC.

So, not even close. And, I don't want to misinterpret what you said OxPx, but Sammie's role was primarily to stretch the field, and in the screen game as I saw it. Not to say that Burton won't have a big role, if that's what you meant. He very well could, but he I wouldn't expect him to fill that role. But hey, what do I know? :dunno:

I'm inclined to agree, Barnacle (side note: we need to find something to disagree about). I think Louis is more likely to be that guy. Who knows, maybe Melvin Ray and Jason Smith will get in there. We've got Darius Slayton and Tony Stevens, too. Stanton Truitt might be the fastest guy, but it seems like you don't normally see the smaller guys on the outside as much. My money's on Louis.

Is Burton that fast?

4.52, according to CDC.

So, not even close. And, I don't want to misinterpret what you said OxPx, but Sammie's role was primarily to stretch the field, and in the screen game as I saw it. Not to say that Burton won't have a big role, if that's what you meant. He very well could, but he I wouldn't expect him to fill that role. But hey, what do I know? :dunno:/>

I'm inclined to agree, Barnacle (side note: we need to find something to disagree about). I think Louis is more likely to be that guy. Who knows, maybe Melvin Ray and Jason Smith will get in there. We've got Darius Slayton and Tony Stevens, too. Stanton Truitt might be the fastest guy, but it seems like you don't normally see the smaller guys on the outside as much. My money's on Louis.

I see Burton being our downfield threat simply due to his vertical and hand skills/body control. I agree that Louis had the speed threat. I'm thinking Burton will be the big play guy like Sammie was

Is Burton that fast?

4.52, according to CDC.

So, not even close. And, I don't want to misinterpret what you said OxPx, but Sammie's role was primarily to stretch the field, and in the screen game as I saw it. Not to say that Burton won't have a big role, if that's what you meant. He very well could, but he I wouldn't expect him to fill that role. But hey, what do I know? :dunno:/>

I see Burton being our downfield threat simply due to his vertical and hand skills/body control. I agree that Louis had the speed threat. I'm thinking Burton will be the big play guy like Sammie was

Fair enough!

Archived