2016 4* LB Zach McCloud (Miami commit)

ellitor

My carrier pigeon tells me we get this guy. Feeling really good about his chances after his official visit with us over the weekend and since both Gus and Will plan on conducting an in home visit with him on Thursday.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stating the obvious we need Linebackers to round out defense. This guy would be our 2nd LB if we get him and I think we need at least 2 more. Which Linebackers that are left on the board do we have a legitimate shot at and how good are our chances at them?

Stating the obvious we need Linebackers to round out defense. This guy would be our 2nd LB if we get him and I think we need at least 2 more. Which Linebackers that are left on the board do we have a legitimate shot at and how good are our chances at them?

4-star LB Rahshaun Smith, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy (30% chance, IMO)

4-star LB Zach McCloud, Lantana (Fla.) Santaluces (80% chance, IMO)

3-star LB Elysee Mbem-Bosse, Ellenwood (Ga.) Cedar Grove (80% chance, IMO, his recruitment is perplexing to a lot of people as some say we have stopped recruiting him, but I don't see how that's possible since he made a visit at the IB. If we get Antwuan Jackson and if we want him, then I think he signs with us.)

5-star DE/LB Ben Davis, Gordo (Ala.) (40% chance, IMO - our chances seem to keep getting stronger as things develop)

Am I missing anyone E?

To add to this, there are a couple of recruits we are trying to flip from Clemson and UTk but or chances of success are minimal.

Does Zach, Elysee and Ben Davis have offers from Auburn yet? Where are they leaning the hardest?

I believe Mcloud is Florida State, Davis is Bama and no one really knows much about Bosse.

Does Zach, Elysee and Ben Davis have offers from Auburn yet? Where are they leaning the hardest?

I believe Mcloud is Florida State, Davis is Bama and no one really knows much about Bosse.

Wherever Ant goes...

I agree with everyone's premise that our LB recruiting has failed and it looks like it may happen again. However, what is the general opinion as to what is the problem? i mean why do we continually swing and miss on prospect after prospect?

I agree with everyone's premise that our LB recruiting has failed and it looks like it may happen again. However, what is the general opinion as to what is the problem? i mean why do we continually swing and miss on prospect after prospect?

Until this season, we've had excuses. Not sure how many if any were valid, but they were there. Now? No excuse.

If Muschamp stays and we don't close strong, then I'll be just as devastated as Mikey has been every year.

If Muschamp leaves, then linebacker will be merely a side dish on our buffet of problems.

Until this season, we've had excuses. Not sure how many if any were valid, but they were there. Now? No excuse.

If Muschamp stays and we don't close strong, then I'll be just as devastated as Mikey has been every year.

If Muschamp leaves, then linebacker will be merely a side dish on our buffet of problems.

I think most rational Auburn fans knew we would only have WM for a few years before he would get an offer elsewhere. Granted, those same fans probably also thought we would at least have him for more than a year. Fortunately, it's easy too early to know for sure. My guess is he stays.

I think most rational Auburn fans knew we would only have WM for a few years before he would get an offer elsewhere. Granted, those same fans probably also thought we would at least have him for more than a year. Fortunately, it's easy too early to know for sure. My guess is he stays.

You're right, and I'll freely admit that I paid it no mind until a trusted source suggested it's a real concern, and now I'm having an emotional reaction.

I believe both Frost and Tre Williams were 5* and McKinzy was a 4* but I have not been impressed with our LB play.

While this is true...

Frost was recruited as a 5 star 'athlete'... Started his AU career as a wide receiver.

McKinzy was a project from the get go... Played everywhere in high school except LB. He still lacks the true 'instincts' of a LB.

T Williams, there is still hope for... Has all the intagebles, and best of all, he has 2 more years!

I believe both Frost and Tre Williams were 5* and McKinzy was a 4* but I have not been impressed with our LB play.

While this is true...

Frost was recruited as a 5 star 'athlete'... Started his AU career as a wide receiver.

McKinzy was a project from the get go... Played everywhere in high school except LB. He still lacks the true 'instincts' of a LB.

T Williams, there is still hope for... Has all the intagebles, and best of all, he has 2 more years!

Don't forget the "was seriously injured and sat out a year" part for Frost, too.

And for Williams, he's already looking pretty good out there.

While this is true...

Don't forget the "was seriously injured and sat out a year" part for Frost, too.

And for Williams, he's already looking pretty good out there.

Frost did jack up his shoulder... but he was gonna redshirt anyways. He was lost out there in 2011.

I think there is a really simple answer: How many LB's has Auburn put in the NFL in the last 6 yrs? Then look at bama, LSu, UGA, UF, USCe, etc...It makes recruiting against us easy until we can change that trend. That trend won't change if we don't have continuity on the defensive staff to develop them.

I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was about why we are lacking in quality LB depth or is it just my perception?

That's easy. Our recruiting at the position, year in and year out, has sucked since 2010. Tre Williams was the only recruiting "coup" in a four-year period. Last year, 2015, was better in terms of numbers but after two were converted to DB we were left with Holland, (buck) Darryl Williams and the redshirted McBryde. Still barely enough for replacements, let alone building quality depth.

You can look at UAT, Ohio State, UGA and so forth and see linebackers we tried hard to get making big plays for other teams. Why we have wiffed on so many is a puzzle I can't answer, but wiffed we have.

Mikey has been beating the LB drum for years and the reason he has is he is right. We have one LB who has started coming back this year and the balance have basically no PT. We have one commitment so far and need at least 2 more. I would prefer 3 more. The three I want are Rashaun Smith, Zach McLoud, and Mbosse (sp.). Throw in a couple of good DT's and we will have the type of recruiting class that will help turn around defense at Auburn.

I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was about why we are lacking in quality LB depth or is it just my perception?

That's easy. Our recruiting at the position, year in and year out, has sucked since 2010. Tre Williams was the only recruiting "coup" in a four-year period. Last year, 2015, was better in terms of numbers but after two were converted to DB we were left with Holland, (buck) Darryl Williams and the redshirted McBryde. Still barely enough for replacements, let alone building quality depth.

You can look at UAT, Ohio State, UGA and so forth and see linebackers we tried hard to get making big plays for other teams. Why we have wiffed on so many is a puzzle I can't answer, but wiffed we have.

I think it has a lot to do with that school across the state. We set our sites on a big target, throw tons of effort at them, they say all of the right things to the coaches, and then they bail at the last minute and choose bama. If it hadn't happened several times, it would be a coincidence, but since last year was the first of several years that it didn't, I have to think it was a tactic on their part that Gus finally figured out.

Hopefully Lance will help in that area, too.

Richt coaching UM may put a wrinkle in Mclouds recruitment. Apparently, McLoud is pretty excited about Richt coaching down in Miami.

Yep, cancelling in-home with Gus and Champ. Now saying UM his only OV.

Richt coaching UM may put a wrinkle in Mclouds recruitment. Apparently, McLoud is pretty excited about Richt coaching down in Miami.

Well that is that.

Well that is that.

Who cancelled the visit -- McCloud or Gus/Muschamp?

Well that is that.

Who cancelled the visit -- McCloud or Gus/Muschamp?

I am wondering the same thing. Gus Malzahn & Will Muschamp were scheduled to make in-home visit with LB Zach McCloud on Thursday. Not anymore...

Well that is that.

Well, at least Richt is now hundreds of miles away from Auburn from now on out. I feel much better competing against Smart than Richt.

Archived