Freshmen Student Tickets - Stadium Expansion

BeatBama1972

Got a kid that will be a freshman at Auburn this year and is very excited about attending. Third generation and early acceptance to AU. You can imagine our disappointment today when after the "freshmen student ticket lottery" we got student tickets to TWO games!!!

Ridiculous!!! I will just leave it at that for now!

Got a kid that will be a freshman at Auburn this year and is very excited about attending. Third generation and early acceptance to AU. You can imagine our disappointment today when after the "freshmen student ticket lottery" we got student tickets to TWO games!!!

Ridiculous!!! I will just leave it at that for now!

Sorry to tell you this, but honestly I'm not surprised. When I order tickets, I do it as soon as the time slot opens. For Freshman and Incoming Students, that was July 17th. 5 minutes makes a huge difference, much less 5 days. It's the same way when signing up for classes. Students are given 10 out of the 78 sections in Jordan-Hare. Assuming that every section has an equal number of fans, that's roughly 11,200 seats for the student section. In 2014, there were 25,912 students at Auburn, and I'd guess that 95% or more of students signed up on or before July 17. It's frustrating, yes, but you can't expect to show up at the last minute and get a full season of tickets. Jordan-Hare just doesn't have that many seats, and our football team is good, meaning people want to go to games.

My freshman year, I signed up the minute that tickets opened like I said above. The server couldn't handle all of the traffic and crashed. I kept trying for an hour before I got in, and I still only got a Mini-Season of tickets. Sophomore year through senior year I have been able to get a full season. Senior year was the first time that there were any away game tickets left when I ordered. It happens. This would be akin to trying to sign up for housing in late July/early August, or trying to sign up for classes the weekend before they start. Everything is gone by then.

My advice to you would be to join the Student Ticket Exchange on Facebook. People are always selling tickets. Your child should be able to buy tickets there, albeit at a higher price than normal. Better luck next year.

Different process this year. It did not matter this year when you signed up as long as you signed up during the registration period. It was a lottery and the lottery draw was today. We know others who signed up on the last day to register for the lottery and got full season ticket book.

If we have this kind of demand why are we not expanding the stadium and seating capacity?

In the mean time why not offer tickets based on a priority system for loyal AU fans or some other metric. How about in order of priority by admission to AU, ACT score....not by being the first to log in at a website and not by a blind draw. If we are expecting excellence we can do better than this!

Different process this year. It did not matter this year when you signed up as long as you signed up during the registration period. It was a lottery and the lottery draw was today. We know others who signed up on the last day to register for the lottery and got full season ticket book.

If we have this kind of demand why are we not expanding the stadium and seating capacity?

In the mean time why not offer tickets based on a priority system for loyal AU fans or some other metric. How about in order of priority by admission to AU, ACT score....not by being the first to log in at a website and not by a blind draw. If we are expecting excellence we can do better than this!

Did not know that they switched to a lottery for the freshman. My apologies.

Because we do not fill the student section for every game. That's why your child got the 2 tickets that they did. They purposefully already assign more tickets than the student section can hold because they know that not every person who has a ticket will come to the game. That, and the fact they they are essentially losing money by having a student section. Think about it this way: I pay $140 for my season tickets, which includes 7 games, coming out to $20 a game. If the University can sell tickets for more than $20, it would be in their best interest to give them to the higher paying people, i.e. not students. If they expanded the student section, they would have to push out a non-student (unless they expanded the stadium, I'll get to that in a second), and any economist will tell you that a rational person would never make that decision.

On expanding the stadium, it's coming. But I'm about 75% sure that it will not include a larger student section. The reasons we're not doing it right now 1. Funding. We are still building the largest videoboard in college football. It was not cheap. The University does not have unlimited money. 2. We don't have a plan currently approved for expansion. If and when we expand, we want to do it right. Finding the right plan takes time. And money. 3. Availability of construction. As I previously stated, we are still building the jumbotron. It would be very difficult to work on 2 different parts of the stadium at the same time, particularly when it comes to traffic flow. The loop around the stadium is used by many Tiger Transits, and closing it (which they would have to do) would royally mess up traffic patterns.

In the mean time why not offer tickets based on a priority system for loyal AU fans or some other metric.

They already do this. Tickets are offered to students based on credit hours earned at Auburn. Adding another metric just for the freshman would not only be redundant, but tedious. Can you imagine having to go through a person's entire personal history just to figure out when they buy student tickets? Also, where do you draw the line? Generation? Okay, what about the kids who's parents didn't go to AU, but 8 generations before them did? There is always going to be someone left out, and like it or not a random-number-generator based lottery system is the most fair way to distribute tickets until Freshman go through classes.

This is also a "Rich get Richer" system: You get ticket priority based off of historical ticket purchasing data (I'm guessing this is what you mean by "priority system for loyal AU fans") that lets you get tickets instead of someone who was a 1st generation Auburn Tiger. You also get another data point on your histogram. Next cycle, the computer goes to choose who gets tickets based on historical ticket purchasing data, and chooses you again. Again you get another data point and tickets over the new person... do you see where this is going? It would be the same idea as not making the top 1% wage earners pay taxes, because they've earned the right not to. They get to keep more of their money, and in turn the gap widens.

How about in order of priority by admission to AU, ACT score....

Why should your ACT score have any effect on your ability to get football tickets? Is someone more worthy of getting a full season of tickets because they got a 32 and I only got a 31? Football has nothing to do with academic merit. Scholarships do, and that is why they are based on standardized test scores. Admission to AU is also tricky. Is child A more worthy of a ticket because his application was 2 spots higher in a stack than child B? Even if they both submitted on the same day? What if one Application reviewer is quicker than another, and gets through more kids? All of these cause issues. They are not objective, they do not have to do with extracurricular activities, and most of all, you are not entitled to student tickets because you attend Auburn. Plain and simple.

I'll pose a question to you: I'm from Tennessee, and therefore I pay out of state tuition to go to Auburn. My tuition is CONSIDERABLY more expensive than an in-state students, like 3 times as much. Since I am paying more to come here, it would be unfair for me to not get more of a shot at season tickets because I am "giving" the university more money.... Do you see how this is a very slippery slope?

not by being the first to log in at a website and not by a blind draw.

As I stated above, a blind draw is the most fair way to give out tickets. It is a "blind" system - it doesn't care if a student is black or white, in-state or out-of-state, business major or engineering major, or any other criteria you can think of. It simply picks a number of random numbers (i.e. how many season ticket packages they had left) from 1 to the number of entries in the lottery, and gives them all season tickets, then moves on to mini-seasons, etc. Everyone has the same chance, the system is not biased at all. It's FAIR. It just so happened that you didn't get lucky, and I'm sorry. It sucks. But it's not going to change, because this is the most fair way for EVERY student, not just YOUR student.

Ever wondered why an out of state student pays more for tuition? Maybe paying state taxes has something to do with this? I am not saying I have the right answer but I am saying there is a better method than chance and chance is the current method used for freshman.

I know just a little about finances and understand the differences between a student ticket and scholarship purchases too. I understand a little about supply and demand as well as having a vision and planning for the future. We have had a variety of plans over the years for expansion and have plans now that are on the drawing board. Unfortunately those plans are not for more capacity. Add 10,000 seats and offer x number of those for student seating - how many for students depends on the price of admission for the TUF seats.

Lots of ways to crack an egg and it takes vision, courage and leadership to achieve excellence. I am excited about the new scoreboard but I would have preferred expansion.

I expect Auburn to be great at everything so I don't really care if AU has a tedious process to get things right. I care that we get itt right.

I appreciate your comments and best wishes with your education. Go be great and War Eagle.

The way I worked the system was to wait until the last week to drop tickets before purchasing and at that time they were first come first serve. Since you didn't get charged until a much later date (closer to the season) many students only looking to sell in the first place would advertise hoping to get top dollar before the season from freshmen then if they couldn't line out a buyer they would drop their tickets before having to pay. Just like dropping a class without being charged. A little patience paid off and it worked for me.

That was the old system, but it could still apply since I doubt they changed the payment process (being paid at a later date through your university account).

Interesting discussion and nice that there is a big demand for the tickets though perhaps AU should consider offering tickets for the second half of games.

About the only thing I can say with certainty is that AU will NOT expand the stadium in order to basically give tickets to students. Big time sports is about the $$$$$$$.

We would not even have a football team if not for the students. Students should get first priority. I am a transfer to Auburn and spend a ridiculous amount of money in tuition and all I got were Idaho and San Jose State games??? That is some serious bull.

Really folks? You pay money to go to Auburn and get an EDUCATION. I can tell you right now that you are the only one besides maybe your family that cares that you paid X amount to come to Auburn and only got 2 tickets. I will however pat you on the back for getting a world class education. You want more tickets? go buy them off the students that arent planning on going to the game.. it's not that deep and at least when I went to games with my brother, were cheaper than face value.

They could have thrown a SEC game in there haha. Students are asking 500 bucks for tickets at the minimum. I cant afford that right now. Yes I love Auburn and the amazing education it is giving me but it is stupid that this school cannot expand its student section so that all the students that want to go to the game can go. And I realize that for JSU and Idaho and SJS it wont be full but neither is the rest of the stadium. So yes I think it is dumb that I and so many other students are struggling to go to the games at the school we are currently attending.

I think that those students selling full ticket books shouldn't be allowed to get tickets the following year. I can understand not being able to go to a game or two but selling the entire season ticket book? There should be should be a way to report this as there are students that would never sell their tickets but go to the games....but of course it is my opinion...

I agree 100% They are just buying them to hike up the prices and make money off students who want to go. but the economist in me is thinking if I didn't like football what would I do???

I agree 100% They are just buying them to hike up the prices and make money off students who want to go. but the economist in me is thinking if I didn't like football what would I do???

Who can blame them if it's legal....easier way to make money than working the food service line in the women's dining hall....if that job is still available after all these years.....ands that was supposed to be the best job on campus during my days at API/AU.

Otherwise....the free market can be a b**** sometimes I'm afraid.

Does it suck that you didn't get a full season of tickets? Yes. But the fact of the matter is that this is the most logical way to distribute tickets, i.e. by time spent taking classes at Auburn - Those that pass more credit hours are more likely to get tickets to football games. Period. End of story.

If you have a problem with people selling their full season of tickets, write down their name and send your complaint to the athletic department. They are the ones who have the power to do something, not random people on a message board. Otherwise, you will have to buy tickets from someone who is selling them.

I've said it before, the reason that you got any tickets AT ALL is that the Athletic Department is banking on people with a full season not showing up for the 2 games you got. And because they can sell more tickets and make more money. Also, spoiler alert: just because you have student tickets to the game doesn't mean you will get to watch the game in the student section. 9 times out of 10, the student section is full more than an hour before the game starts, and people can't find seats for the game.

Alabama, LSU, and Tennessee all have larger capacity stadiums with smaller capacity student sections than Auburn. Enrollment at those schools is also on par or higher so consider yourself lucky.

Florida is leading the pack (and it's not really close) in the SEC in terms of student section size, 20,000+ and roughly 24% of the stadium's capacity.

For comparison, Auburn is 15-16K at ~18% of Jordan-Hare's capacity.

Man its funny seeing people get really angry about my opinion on this haha but I will not consider myself lucky when it benefits me zero! BUT your right it's not like people on here can help my problem but then again whoever shares their opinion on a message board. I don't understand the passion of believing College Students shouldn't be able to go to their schools games. Without giving whatever their arm or leg they have remaining after college bills. Students should be the first priority in anything and this obviously shows it is not. I truly love Auburn just think what's happening to the Big Schools is kind of sad.

sorry if my opinion on this totally non offensive topic offends some people. I guess?

also yall proved my point on how the Student section should be expanded. it's too full

Gordo, it has always been full. We used to have to line up and miss Tiger Walk just to get a seat in the student section back in the day. Otherwise you would be sitting on the steps. I know at UCF it is much the same with the exception that more Freshmen get student tickets (to hook them on going) and there is a huge demand for tickets there and they have about 35K on the main campus ~50K total...their stadium seats about 50K total...I agree that students who want to attend should be able to attend. I think if and when they add seats to the stadium they should enlarge the Student section...put the visiting fans in the upper deck and let the overflow students have part of that section...are the Frats still carving out seats? If so that should also be stopped...

Yes. They will have huge sections of empty bleachers while everyone is cramming in. 2013 Iron Bowl when I was in the Student Section was one of the most frustrating things ever cause there were empty seats but they were the frats and we were all shoulder to shoulder standing in the walkways. But it turned out to be the most fun I have ever had at a game so it ended up not being a HUGE deal haha

Yes. They will have huge sections of empty bleachers while everyone is cramming in. 2013 Iron Bowl when I was in the Student Section was one of the most frustrating things ever cause there were empty seats but they were the frats and we were all shoulder to shoulder standing in the walkways. But it turned out to be the most fun I have ever had at a game so it ended up not being a HUGE deal haha

I am gonna play the game here...

How did you get into the Student Section in 2013? Did you have a student ticket? How did you get it? Did you buy from a student? An upperclassmen trying to make a little money?

So you think it was great that you got to get into the student section for arguably the BEST AUBURN FOOTBALL game you will ever see live, however...

What about those freshmen that were not able to get tickets to the Iron Bowl that year???

Just having a little fun...WAR EAGLE!

Hahaha I understand and my brother was an Auburn student and I got a ticket from a girl that had to work that night. I feel bad for her. But she went to the games she could. it doesn't bother me that bad also I'm a junior but it's my first year at Auburn so I was hoping to have two seasons as a student with all student tickets. I was just angry about the 2 tickets i got because they suck. but if I hated football and I could turn 140 bucks into 500 I would. I don't blame the students who do that. just wish the student body could get into the games if they want to. Because it really should be that way. War Damn Eagle!

I always got tickets, but I will say that students not getting in is lame. I am a firm believer that students should get tickets to every game.

The athletic department actually supports the idea of selling tickets between students, which is part of the problem. They have a system where you can transfer your tickets.

http://cps.auburn.edu/cps/Athletics/football/ticket_transfer.html

The not showing up argument doesn't fly with me cause that works both ways. Big games students are there and the other fans are there. Small games students are missing and leaving earlier and the other fans are missing and leaving early.

It bothers me that we have a demand for tickets and we have done nothing to increase the supply. And yes, students should be able to purchase tickets! More AU fans inside might even give the team a bigger home field advantage - you think?

I will say again we can do better!

You can always buy tickets day of game from people all around the stadium. Yes you won't be in the student section, but usually they are very cheap with the exception of UGA and Iron Bowl.

Archived