2017 4* DB Tray Bishop (UGA 1/1/17)

WarDamnEagleWDE

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Bishop can be a damn good QB if he gets a real QB coach. IMO. Great pickup. I think AU is done with HS QB's and will turn their attention to Stidham. 

I think he's a great pick up. At the very least I think he will be a good WR or safert.

Great great great pickup. I was really high on this guy from first time I saw him and am so glad we got him. I think this is our next QB after Woody or if Woody doesn't quite work out.

31 minutes ago, Charhair said:

Now we just need Akers. Imagine that backfield if Bishop became a good read qb

Barrett much more likely than Akers.

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That's surprising.  I always saw them as filling different roles.  Akers as an every down power back and Barrett as more of a Kerryon Johnson kind of back. We don't have a lot of bulk in our backfield.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

That's surprising.  I always saw them as filling different roles.  Akers as an every down power back and Barrett as more of a Kerryon Johnson kind of back. We don't have a lot of bulk in our backfield.

The staff sees Barrett as an every down back & always have. They may stay on Cam hard still though in case Alaric struggles to get in but all that is TBD.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The staff sees Barrett as an every down back & always have. They may stay on Cam hard still though in case Alaric struggles to get in but all that is TBD.

Interesting... He's going to have to add some serious muscle to be able to be a power back like Akers, who's already a load for his height. Barrett's about 40lbs lighter than the past few year's top backs who were close to his height.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Interesting... He's going to have to add some serious muscle to be able to be a power back like Akers, who's already a load for his height. Barrett's about 40lbs lighter than the past few year's top backs who were close to his height.

Alaric isn't going to struggle to get in. 

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Alaric isn't going to struggle to get in. 

Keith has said in multiple free posts there are academic concerns with him & he has work to do.

It could be that he did not take some of the required NCAA freshman or Sophmore courses and have a lot of work to catch that up.

Just now, ellitor said:

Keith has said in multiple free posts there are academic concerns with him & he has work to do.

It could be that he did not take some of the required NCAA freshman or Sophmore courses and have a lot of work to catch that up.

I will ask a friend about that then. Doesn't seem right though just from knowing of his guardians.

14 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Power back does not mean or equal every down back. See Tre Mason. 5'8, 185 when he left high school. Barrett is 6'1, 190. I agree he will need to put on some weight but he can do it & be an every down back.

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I will ask a friend about that then. Doesn't seem right though just from knowing of his guardians.

Like I said. It could be not taking some NCAA required courses as a freshman or soph. That could easily come from him & the counselors not knowing the NCAA yearly required courses. That's very possible the 1st 2 years of high school. He could have great grades & it not matter if some aren't the required NCAA yearly courses.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Power back does not mean or equal every down back. See Tre Mason. 5'8, 185 when he left high school. Barrett is 6'1, 190. I agree he will need to put on some weight but he can do it & be an every down back.

Yea... I'm just looking at what has basically owned the SEC over the past few years. Tre was a determined back who was helped by the scheme he was running, but you look at the backs who are really dominating the SEC and they are all power backs (Fournette, Henry, Robinson, etc).

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea... I'm just looking at what has basically owned the SEC over the past few years. Tre was a determined back who was helped by the scheme he was running, but you look at the backs who are really dominating the SEC and they are all power backs (Fournette, Henry, Robinson, etc).

I don't remember a Robinson that dominated the league?

Just now, Randman5000 said:

"Every time I'm here, it feels like it hits home," Bishop said Saturday. "That's key."

His decision came down to Auburn, Georgia and Florida, but the opportunity to play quarterback in the SEC was the difference-maker for Bishop. Florida was recruiting him strictly as a defensive back, while Georgia made a pitch to him as a dual-threat quarterback when Kirby Smart became head coach — though Bishop admitted on Saturday that he didn't think Georgia really wanted him to play quarterback.

During his weekend visit to Auburn, Bishop said Lashlee and head coach Gus Malzahn sat him down and watched a video with him showcasing highlights of former Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall (who ran Malzahn's offense exceptionally well for two seasons) and then similar plays that Bishop has made during his high school career. That interaction left a lasting impression on Bishop, who said he can see himself excelling in Malzahn's system.

That wasn't the only factor in Bishop's decision. On Saturday he noted the offensive linemen already committed to Auburn — five-star tackle Calvin Ashley, four-star tackle Austin Troxell and four-star guard Nick Brahms — as well as the talented quarter of receivers the Tigers signed back in February: Nate Craig-Myers, Eli Stove, Kyle Davis and Marquis McClain.

All of those, in Bishop's eyes, make for compelling complementary pieces around him on offense if he makes it as a quarterback.

"I'll come in with the mindset of a quarterback, I guess," Bishop said, "and if that don't work then I got other (position) options."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/07/auburn_lands_commitment_from_4.html#incart_river_index

Its nice to see a new recuit impacted and recognize the weapons,the talent we have coming in.

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Like I said. It could be not taking some NCAA required courses as a freshman or soph. That could easily come from him & the counselors not knowing the NCAA yearly required courses. That's very possible the 1st 2 years of high school. He could have great grades & it not matter if some aren't the required NCAA yearly courses.

Alaric played with Tyler Carr and several other athletes to various other smaller colleges in different sports. The counselors know.

29 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I don't remember a Robinson that dominated the league?

Dominated is probably an overstatement for Josh Robinson, since his productivity dropped of halfway through the season in 2014, but he certainly owned LSU and even got a lot of dark-horse Heisman buzz.

Give the young man a go at the QB position. With his speed, Gus's offense would become as lethal as it can get.

20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Speed doesn't necessarily equate to success  as a QB...

Yup!

Slick with the video commitment, much much better than the tired hat lineup.

Welcome Tray, stay on the grind and your dreams of playing QB in the SEC can be a reality.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Speed doesn't necessarily equate to success  as a QB...

Yep, I doubt Carl Lewis ever took a snap behind center but I'd wager he wouldn't be bringing the gold home for anyone if he did. ;D

Archived