2017 4* DB Tray Bishop (UGA 1/1/17)

WarDamnEagleWDE

just go all balls in keeping Gatewood and the heck with this year

Come on now

what, u wanna sign a qb just to say we signed one this year, 38-40 of the top 40 are committed already. best hope is for a coaching change and opportunity

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on now

what, u wanna sign a qb just to say we signed one this year, 38-40 of the top 40 are committed already. best hope is for a coaching change and opportunity

We'll have 4 years of Woody Barrett so long as he's not a last resort waste this year- bound to have a QB commit that will be good since then- two great offensive linemen, a few DBs and an RB so far that are all very good. Still lots of recruits left and we are inside top 20 now. Will only go

up from here

Still plenty of DT QB's uncommitted. We'll get one but he might only be a 3*. Doesn't matter if he's the right fit.

Come on now

Well he's not just a QB though. He is a very good athlete that could excel @ WR.

Still plenty of DT QB's uncommitted. We'll get one but he might only be a 3*. Doesn't matter if he's the right fit.

This and every year there is at least 1 under the radar QB that makes a big push in recruiting. Lamar Jackson was 1 of them last year. Not on many boards this time last year.

This and every year there is at least 1 under the radar QB that makes a big push in recruiting. Lamar Jackson was 1 of them last year. Not on many boards this time last year.

This is actually a pretty good point, I didn't think of this....thanks

Great Athlete. I would like him on my team. He has a very impressive list of schools offering him including Clemson, FL State, UGA, and Bama. He does not look like he has been to many QB camps. He also could use more arm strength. At this point, I would say he has a long way to go to be a starting SEC QB. That being said, he may be a quick learner, he is also a great athlete that could see the field in one of several other positions.

Looks to be the man now. Visiting AU on July 23 and going to commit on the 25 or 26th. Per BM. Kid is a great athlete. But another project at QB. Gus better hope Woody can play.

He runs a triple option kind of offensive formation a lot in high school, which, really, is what the zone read evolved into. Reading the defensive end, and deciding whether to hand the ball or to keep it. Bishop is my favorite recruit still on the board in this class: maybe in this whole class. I liked this guy before Mond had committed and I really like him now. Good size, fast as lightning, used to running a read option, good accuracy on the deep ball, throws on the run well, and has some experience hitting guys hard (free safety). Think this guy is a diamond in the rough.

If AU gets Tray I still think he will not be the only QB in the 2017 class.

Would Tray get a real look at QB by the coaching staff, though? As in, would he be another Jason Smith or would he be considered legitimate?

Come on now

Well he's not just a QB though. He is a very good athlete that could excel @ WR.

^^^^

Come on now

^^^^

Tray, is that you?

He runs a triple option kind of offensive formation a lot in high school, which, really, is what the zone read evolved into. Reading the defensive end, and deciding whether to hand the ball or to keep it. Bishop is my favorite recruit still on the board in this class: maybe in this whole class. I liked this guy before Mond had committed and I really like him now. Good size, fast as lightning, used to running a read option, good accuracy on the deep ball, throws on the run well, and has some experience hitting guys hard (free safety). Think this guy is a diamond in the rough.

Really hard to determine from his highlights. Most of the deep routes are wide open & he is not hitting them in stride.

I definitely would take him as an ATH/WR but I think he would be the biggest project in the Gus era if we took him as a QB. More of a project that Woody from the last class & he is a bit of a project.

If AU gets Tray I still think he will not be the only QB in the 2017 class.

Would Tray get a real look at QB by the coaching staff, though? As in, would he be another Jason Smith or would he be considered legitimate?

Before Mond committed to aTm we were recruiting Tray just like Jason Smith was, an ATH w/ a shot at QB. Those guys don't usually stick there.

Really hard to determine from his highlights. Most of the deep routes are wide open & he is not hitting them in stride.

I definitely would take him as an ATH/WR but I think he would be the biggest project in the Gus era if we took him as a QB. More of a project that Woody from the last class & he is a bit of a project.

His mechanics are very rough and it almost looks like he is throwing darts rather than a football.

Big upside for a player like him. His mechanics aren't perfect but who's are as a junior in high school running a weird form of option offense. I hope we get him on board soon. I like his spin on the ball. Catchable.

The issue IMO that I see is we don't have the coach on staff to refine his rough edges to be a competitive SEC QB

The issue IMO that I see is we don't have the coach on staff to refine his rough edges to be a competitive SEC QB

We should go after Cutcliffe. Pipe dream, but a guy can dream :)

Yep. But it's still only June. I'm willing to bet that AU signs Trey and ANOTHER JUCO QB. Gus "Jackie" Malzahn.

This place will be fun when FSU starts to put the full court press back on Gatewood.

Come on now

He is more than likely not a qb, great athlete and would love to have him. I just don't see the point of bringing in a project QB when we have nobody capable of teaching them on staff. Stay focused on QB's with good fundamentals and maybe someone decommits from another school do to coaching changes or something than just start recruiting the next guy on the list. And make for dang sure that any QB recruit loves to play the game and wants to be great, not good, but great at his craft. This is where most teams fail in QB recruiting more so than any other position.

Come on now

He is more than likely not a qb, great athlete and would love to have him. I just don't see the point of bringing in a project QB when we have nobody capable of teaching them on staff. Stay focused on QB's with good fundamentals and maybe someone decommits from another school do to coaching changes or something than just start recruiting the next guy on the list. And make for dang sure that any QB recruit loves to play the game and wants to be great, not good, but great at his craft. This is where most teams fail in QB recruiting more so than any other position.

I don't understand this. Cam wasn't a finished product coming to Auburn. He matured into a great QB and he didn't do that on his own. Yes he had freakish physical talent, but he also became better at a lot of things under Gus. Nick was an INT machine in JUCO and hadn't played QB at UGA at all. He was never going to be an outstanding pocket passer, but he was a much better QB by the end of his time at Auburn than the beginning. Sean White has no where near the raw talent of those two, but has shown amazing poise and skills.

QBs are a hard thing to predict. I've posted before that this same sort of thing happens other places. Here's the 4-star or higher QBs signed by Alabama since Saban arrived that have failed or yet to produce:

Star Jackson

Philip Sims

Cooper Bateman

David Cornwell

Blake Barnett

He inherited John Parker Wilson and Greg McElroy. Thus far the only highly rated HS QB recruited by Saban that has panned out was AJ McCarron. Jake Coker was a transfer and he couldn't even beat out Blake Sims who was serviceable but couldn't even make a practice squad in the CFL at QB.

Look at LSU in the same timeframe:

Jarrett Lee

Chris Garrett

Russell Shepard (5-star)

Zach Lee

Jarrad Randall

Zach Mettenberger

Anthony Jennings

Hayden Rettig

Brandon Harris

And does anyone remember 5-star Ryan Perriloux a couple of years before that?

Mettenberger was the only one to put up any decent stats. The rest have been mediocre to terrible, under multiple coordinators/QB coaches some of whom had great track records with QBs prior to LSU.

Under Gus/Lashlee, we've had two successes in Cam and Nick. And the only other top rated guy is JJ who has been a bust. Trotter and Moseley were 2-3-star projects who also suffered from a huge talent drain on offense after 2010.

I just don't buy this notion that we "have nobody capable of teaching them on staff."

Come on now

I don't understand this. Cam wasn't a finished product coming to Auburn. He matured into a great QB. Yes he had freakish physical talent, but he also became better at a lot of things under Gus. Nick was an INT machine in JUCO and hadn't played QB at UGA at all. He was never going to be an outstanding pocket passer, but he was a much better QB by the end of his time at Auburn than the beginning. Sean White has no where near the raw talent of those two, but has shown amazing poise and skills.

QBs are a hard thing to predict. I've posted before that this same sort of thing happens other places. Here's the 4-star or higher QBs signed by Alabama since Saban arrived that have failed or yet to produce:

Star Jackson

Philip Sims

Cooper Bateman

David Cornwell

Blake Barnett

He inherited John Parker Wilson and Greg McElroy. Thus far the only highly rated HS QB recruited by Saban that has panned out was AJ McCarron. Jake Coker was a transfer and he couldn't even beat out Blake Sims who was serviceable but couldn't even make a practice squad in the CFL at QB.

Jarrett Lee

Chris Garrett

Russell Shepard (5-star)

Zach Lee

Jarrad Randall

Zach Mettenberger

Anthony Jennings

Hayden Rettig

Brandon Harris

Mettenberger was the only one to put up any decent stats. The rest have been mediocre to terrible, under multiple coordinators/QB coaches some of whom had great track records with QBs prior to LSU.

Under Gus/Lashlee, we've had two successes in Cam and Nick. And the only other top rated guy is JJ who has been a bust. Trotter and Moseley were 2-3-star projects who also suffered from a huge talent drain on offense after 2010.

I just don't buy this notion that we "have nobody capable of teaching them on staff."

We have gone over this before, you think that because Cam and Nick both wanted to be great and not a good QB that Gus and Rhett get the credit for the work that they put in on their own. What they got better at is learning the offense which both Gus and Rhett can and did do a good job of doing, and I give credit to that. As far as becoming a better QB fundamentally and working on mechanics, I don't see it and so do many, many other people. Look at the amount of work Cam had to do to become a great QB in the NFL, watch some film of him now and then, how many things he had to correct to be great and not just live off his natural talent. These things are not being taught very well in my opinion. I know you won't change your mind on it, I just evaluate qb coaching entirely different than you.

Come on now

I don't understand this. Cam wasn't a finished product coming to Auburn. He matured into a great QB. Yes he had freakish physical talent, but he also became better at a lot of things under Gus. Nick was an INT machine in JUCO and hadn't played QB at UGA at all. He was never going to be an outstanding pocket passer, but he was a much better QB by the end of his time at Auburn than the beginning. Sean White has no where near the raw talent of those two, but has shown amazing poise and skills.

Star Jackson

Philip Sims

Cooper Bateman

David Cornwell

Blake Barnett

Jarrett Lee

Chris Garrett

Russell Shepard (5-star)

Zach Lee

Jarrad Randall

Zach Mettenberger

Anthony Jennings

Hayden Rettig

Brandon Harris

Preach!

I don't understand the backlash to CGM about qb development. He has much more success with qbs than failures. Before last season there was no way to predict JJ would fold like hi did especially after 2014 and how good he looked . Everybody thought he was going to blow up and be a contender for the Heisman trophy. I look forward to redemption for CGM and our offense as a whole starting with a win against Clemson!JMHO buy as always, IGTBAAT!!

Archived