Eye of the Tiger song

graffevj

Like everyone else on the board, the season can't get here fast enough which leads me to this random thought. Aside from the into song that they come up with every year, maybe a new mini-tradition could be started. Our band sometimes plays "Eye of the Tiger" which is fine but why not instead designate a time during warm-ups while the players are on the field where the stadium crowd could sing it. With our gigantic new video board and sound system, they could have the lyrics and play historical auburn highlights (or just play Junior Rosegreen's hit in a loop) but you get the idea. You gotta sing along though or what's the point. I think the players would feed off the energy. Whether you are young or old, the song is a classic, the lyrics are spot on and this would be easy for everyone. Maybe the timing is better post halftime, I don't know..... I'm just an idea man. Think Wisc.Badger's fans Sweet Caroline tradition but different vibe. If you disagree that's alright too. I can now tell my wife that I ran it up the flagpole, since she asks me weekly if I posted the idea since I told her. That's why I married her.

:wareagle:

Tempo is too fast for a sing along, folks wouldn't be able to keep pace and it would become a jumbled mess IMO.

Don't think it's a good sing along song either. I do think that we should add a "t-I-g-e-r-s Tigers!!!!" At the end of the bands rendition of tiger rag, but I think any change like that has to get traction from the students.

Yeah, I share everyone else's sentiment that Eye of the Tiger isn't a singalong tune. That, and I remember watching a game last year, I think it was East Carolina vs someone, and the crowd seemed to just randomly burst into an a capella version of "Living on a Prayer"-the entire song, not just the chorus- while the game was in progress. It sounded kinda creepy and soccer hooliganish, and reading this idea just sounded a little too much like that.

Has anything other than Eye of the Tiger and All I Do, etc. been considered a good entrance song? Doesn't seem like it.

Has anything other than Eye of the Tiger and All I Do, etc. been considered a good entrance song? Doesn't seem like it.

Roar by Katy Perry.

jk!!

So, I don't want to threadjack, especially since I applaud the OP's effort to get something started.

But I just read this article on '10 songs I wish the AU marching band would play', and it reminded me of this thread; so I thought I'd post it here and see what y'all thought instead of starting a new thread. Happy to do the latter, though, if the OP objects to my putting this here or if it takes this thread too far off track.

First, let me say that I would be much more in favor of the AUMB playing 'Eye of the Tiger' than piping in the original. One of the things that adds to the atmosphere of game day is the band. I hate that we've moved more toward a DJ than a band experience, and it's really my biggest worry about the new Aubietron/Boombox.

Second, I think the band should adopt basically all of the suggestions from the linked article. Good stuff.

So, I don't want to threadjack, especially since I applaud the OP's effort to get something started.

But I just read this article on '10 songs I wish the AU marching band would play', and it reminded me of this thread; so I thought I'd post it here and see what y'all thought instead of starting a new thread. Happy to do the latter, though, if the OP objects to my putting this here or if it takes this thread too far off track.

First, let me say that I would be much more in favor of the AUMB playing 'Eye of the Tiger' than piping in the original. One of the things that adds to the atmosphere of game day is the band. I hate that we've moved more toward a DJ than a band experience, and it's really my biggest worry about the new Aubietron/Boombox.

Second, I think the band should adopt basically all of the suggestions from the linked article. Good stuff.

I'm not sure how well the Hall of the Mountain King would sound without the violins, though it is very moving (love the pizzicato strings in the softer parts). Another comparable composition would be Wagner's 'Flight of the Valkyries' Maybe Tchaikovsky's '1812 Overture' would work also?

I'm not sure how well the Hall of the Mountain King would sound without the violins, though it is very moving (love the pizzicato strings in the softer parts). Another comparable composition would be Wagner's 'Flight of the Valkyries' Maybe Tchaikovsky's '1812 Overture' would work also?

I can see horns taking over for violins in HotMK.

:dunno:

In any case, I'm for a reemphasis on the band.

Don't think it's a good sing along song either. I do think that we should add a "t-I-g-e-r-s Tigers!!!!" At the end of the bands rendition of tiger rag, but I think any change like that has to get traction from the students.

LSU does this already.

Yeah, I share everyone else's sentiment that Eye of the Tiger isn't a singalong tune. That, and I remember watching a game last year, I think it was East Carolina vs someone, and the crowd seemed to just randomly burst into an a capella version of "Living on a Prayer"-the entire song, not just the chorus- while the game was in progress. It sounded kinda creepy and soccer hooliganish, and reading this idea just sounded a little too much like that.

This actually happen during the 2010 season. It was either Clemson or Georgia game. Our band started playing "Living on a Prayer" and the student section started and then the whole stadium kicked in.

I could go the rest of my life and not hear "Turn Down for What" and be just fine.

I miss being a student singing "Hey baby" at the end of the 3rd quarter. That always sounded awesome in JHS!

^Me too! Aside from it being annoying, it implies we can only win with luck. If we're going to play Bon Jovi, I'd much rather hear "Wanted Dead or Alive."

Not that it was a great song to begin with, but after last year's TAMU debacle, "Turn Down for What" has scarred me for life.

"All I do is win" could have been our new traditional song (like sandstorm for uSC) but the lyrics about money just does not fit IMO. I enjoy "Eye of the tiger" by the band. The original, over the speakers, is just is a little corny for me. Not a fan. I love fan participation so "living on a prayer", "sweet Caroline", "hey baby" etc... are great to me, just not pregame.

I say we just let augolf DJ this year with his youtube videos!!!

This below is not my recommendation for an entrance song but it would be a great pregame video after 4 corners as the band is setting up.

Archived