Would you be content as an Auburn fan...

If we continued a 5 year cycle of 1 championship, one horrible season, two average seasons, and one more championship contender season? Like basically we win a championship this year, and 2011-2013 basically repeated after that. Personally, and it would feel bad saying so, I'd be okay with this. If we deliver on that 2013-esque season more times than not, that's 3 championships in a 5 year span. It's just the problem that you'd have to deal with 2012 esque seasons.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just want to see us have consistent success every year, with the SEC and NC a possibility each year. These 12-2, then 7-6, 8-5 years stink. Consistently winning nine to ten games each year is doable. Now that Gus has momentum, I can see this happening from now on.

Ideally no. I'm tired of it being thrown up in my face that Auburn can't win 10 games in a row.

This goes back to the concept of we are better as the underdog. I'm tired of being the underdog. Ready to have the bullseye on our back EVERY year and have us show up the same as if we were preseason 126.

This goes back to the concept of we are better as the underdog. I'm tired of being the underdog. Ready to have the bullseye on our back EVERY year and have us show up the same as if we were preseason 126.

I think Gus and company are trying to eliminate that mindset. So far, I'd say it's working if you look at the preseason hype we are receiving this year.

Is it what I want? No. I want to be the big dog every year. But that wasn't the question. Would I be content winning a NC every 5 years? Absolutely. We've had one in my 34 years. I'd easily take one every five from now on.

I reject the premise because I'm not just an Auburn fan but an AU alumnus. Thus, I'm in it for the long haul. I'll be "content" when Gus completes the three-peat.

Tough question. We'd all be crazy to turn down a championship every 5 years but these extreme highs and lows can be very stressful and deflating. In the end, I'd rather be an Auburn fan on the rollercoaster ride than the UGA fan who can count on 10 wins but never gets that championship.

I would be content with the championship every 5 years, but just as many others I am tired of the ups & downs. I am ready for the years of 10 wins and constant discussions of SEC & NC Championships. That is what has put other programs in the top discussions and that is where I want to see my beloved AU.

Tough question. We'd all be crazy to turn down a championship every 5 years but these extreme highs and lows can be very stressful and deflating. In the end, I'd rather be an Auburn fan on the rollercoaster ride than the UGA fan who can count on 10 wins but never gets that championship.

That's basically the premise of the thread

I know UGA fans do not want our Rollercoaster life but they don't factor in we got 2 national championship appearances (and one snub) since 2004 while they have 0 since Herschel

Which isn't to say we've had the greatest title reputation ever, but our roller coaster life has produced some title chances that we haven't always capitalized on or haven't been able to capitalize on.

Jack Nicklaus has won more majors than anyone else. He also finished in 2nd place more than anyone else. The last few years notwithstanding, if you want to consistently win championships, you have to consistently put yourself in position to win championships. Being the "comeback kid" every several years makes for a nice story but is not the way to bring home the trophy very often.

I'd take a championship once every 5 years even under the premise that the other 4 years would be complete duds than have no championship but always winning 10+ games. I guess it depends what you want the program to be. Winning a lot of meaningless games vs not winning a whole lot but taking the big one from time to time. I prefer the championships I think.

This is basically would you rather be UGA under Richt or AU under Chiz and then Gus I feel like.

If we continued a 5 year cycle of 1 championship, one horrible season, two average seasons, and one more championship contender season? Like basically we win a championship this year, and 2011-2013 basically repeated after that. Personally, and it would feel bad saying so, I'd be okay with this. If we deliver on that 2013-esque season more times than not, that's 3 championships in a 5 year span. It's just the problem that you'd have to deal with 2012 esque seasons.

I don't think I'd go for that. Tired of 5 loss seasons. It gets really frustrating some years watching us just plain flop.

I want to see some consistency. Double digit winning seasons are at least fun, even if they don't net you a championship. 5 loss seasons are zero fun and feel like a wasted year.

I'd love a championship every 5 years, but I still wouldn't be content as a fan with the down years mixed in. Mix in 10 wins and nothing like 2012, and that's about right for me.

I'd take a championship every 5 years. Considering we're in the toughest conference AND division in CFB that would be pretty darn good. As long as we're in position to contend to win the West every year....i'd be satisfied b/c it's clearly going to be the way to get a spot in the playoffs. LSU, BAMA, Auburn and TX A&M are consistently going to have top recruiting classes basically every year. Factor in Ole Miss who has gained more attention and Arky who is improving (don't think they could become a serious threat) but the west is up for grabs really between 4-5 teams. Like others have stated....i'd like a consistent team.

However, we need to establish a better and stable defense for me to put those expectations on us. There has been zero stability in that area for a very long time at Auburn. Once that is established then yeah...5 wins is very disappointing after a championship year.

I'd love a championship every 5 years, but I still wouldn't be content as a fan with the down years mixed in. Mix in 10 wins and nothing like 2012, and that's about right for me.

x2

I reject the premise because I'm not just an Auburn fan but an AU alumnus. Thus, I'm in it for the long haul. I'll be "content" when Gus completes the three-peat.

I'd say a minimum 8 peat

Negative, I cosign my greed with Ikeel.

Would prefer more far reaching national respect that's garnered from consecutive 10 wins seasons, in addition to the aforementioned championships. Winning frequently keeps the program visible in the media, which in turn grants favoritism in the polls, ranking indexes, etc. What spawns from constant exposure is a more magnified national brand that sells itself to recruits. That's my yearning. I could settle for a 5-loss season every 5 years or so.

If Auburn became that level of program, would they name the field and/or stadium after Malzahn? It'd basically make him the first coach here to combine consistency and national titles together

Just a question

Jack Nicklaus has won more majors than anyone else. He also finished in 2nd place more than anyone else. The last few years notwithstanding, if you want to consistently win championships, you have to consistently put yourself in position to win championships. Being the "comeback kid" every several years makes for a nice story but is not the way to bring home the trophy very often.

^This is a good post. ^

^This is a good post. ^

Doesn't really have anything to do with the OP.

Archived