If SEC went 9 game conference.

WarDamnEagle#1

84 members have voted

1. 1. Which rather you have happen if SEC went 9 conference games?

• Permanent game vs Florida
    • Permanent game vs Tennessee
    • Permanent game vs South Carolina
    • Add another rotation game against random East team

I had a thought while reading all this stuff on Twitter about every conference should go 9 games, what if the SEC went to a 9 game conference which rather you happen. Gonna put a poll and see what yall think. My answer would be start a permanent game vs Florida. I don't know what is about games against them but they're always fun to watch and seems like they're always close.

Just go to an 11 game schedule with one cake walk team. This would no doubt end up with at least 2-3 SEC teams having a legit shot in the final 4 teams. This will never happen. We will never go to anything past 8 conference games.

Here's an interesting article from Will Collier @ AuburnSports.com concerning future conference expansion and how it could affect the SEC, splitting the league into 4 "pods".

Permanent game against Vandy sounds good to me....

If the SEC goes to 9 games, then I vote for Auburn moving to the East and having permanent games against UAT and LSwho.

Except not LSU for the second permanent opponent. Why commit suicide? MSU would be a good second opponent. I have been all for moving AU to the East, it's where we should have been from the get-go.

Here's an interesting article from Will Collier @ AuburnSports.com concerning future conference expansion and how it could affect the SEC, splitting the league into 4 "pods".

I like his proposed setup far better than anything else I've seen. Even if all that doesn't come to pass, bringing in the two Oklahoma schools to the West and moving AU to the East is another thing I'd like to see.

I like his proposed setup far better than anything else I've seen. Even if all that doesn't come to pass, bringing in the two Oklahoma schools to the West and moving AU to the East is another thing I'd like to see.

Interesting ..... I heard that discussion a couple days ago....but I have trouble understanding the benefits of a mega-conference where many teams don't play each other except every decade or so. I get the idea of 64 mega schools but seems more practical to have 8 conferences, each with 8 teams and then have an 8 team playoff at the end for the championship.

There would be some griping about occasions when a non-64 team had a great year but let 'em gripe. With the direction that college football is headed, those guys will be downsizing in years to come anyway.

SO....8 conferences where everyone plays everyone else in their league and a clear champion emerges....and then the playoff. To fill out the schedule each school can schedule games from among the other 56 available teams as OOC games.

I'd like the SEC to stay with 8 conference games maninly because $aban was the first one to say we need to go from 8 to 9 SEC games. But if we do go to up to 9 SEC games, I'm hoping the SEC will move Auburn to the East division and move Missouri to the west where we should have been placed when Missouri and A&M first became members.

Here's a schedule proposal I did a year or so ago. Each team has three yearly opponents and then you play five teams for two years, and then the remaining five teams for two years. In a four year cycle, you play everyone in the SEC twice. In going to this, you'd have to determine that the two highest ranked teams would play in the SEC Championship game - which means you are never going to have two teams make the CFB Playoff.

This keeps you at 8 games, but still gets you through the conference every four years.

SEC14teamschedules_zpsa3e621a1.png

I'd like the SEC to stay with 8 conference games maninly because $aban was the first one to say we need to go from 8 to 9 SEC games. But if we do go to up to 9 SEC games, I'm hoping the SEC will move Auburn to the East division and move Missouri to the west where we should have been placed when Missouri and A&M first became members.

So cut your nose off to spite your face all because Saban was the first to say we need to go to 9 SEC games? :-\

If the SEC goes to 9 games, then I vote for Auburn moving to the East and having permanent games against UAT and LSwho.

Except not LSU for the second permanent opponent. Why commit suicide? MSU would be a good second opponent. I have been all for moving AU to the East, it's where we should have been from the get-go.

this. I miss the east rival games. South Carolina always gives competitive games too.

Interesting ..... I heard that discussion a couple days ago....but I have trouble understanding the benefits of a mega-conference where many teams don't play each other except every decade or so. I get the idea of 64 mega schools but seems more practical to have 8 conferences, each with 8 teams and then have an 8 team playoff at the end for the championship.

There would be some griping about occasions when a non-64 team had a great year but let 'em gripe. With the direction that college football is headed, those guys will be downsizing in years to come anyway.

SO....8 conferences where everyone plays everyone else in their league and a clear champion emerges....and then the playoff. To fill out the schedule each school can schedule games from among the other 56 available teams as OOC games.

14 team, 2 division conferences don't allow for a decent conference rotation. The future is going to be a 16 team conference, with 4 divisions of 4, playing a 9 game conference schedule. That model allows every team to play all the other teams every 2 years. It also allows an incoming Freshman to play each conference team at least twice, 1 at home and 1 away.

16 teams= 4 divisions of 4

4 teams= in common division

12 teams= rotating divisions

9 games= 3 in division games + 6 rotating division games

12 rotating division teams divided by 6= 2 year conference rotation.

The SEC takes care of the rivalry games "as much as possible" with the divisional lineups. But any annual rivalry lost is going to be played every 2 years anyway, so it lessens the impact.

14 team, 2 division conferences don't allow for a decent conference rotation. The future is going to be a 16 team conference, with 4 divisions of 4, playing a 9 game conference schedule. That model allows every team to play all the other teams every 2 years. It also allows an incoming Freshman to play each conference team at least twice, 1 at home and 1 away.

16 teams= 4 divisions of 4

4 teams= in common division

12 teams= rotating divisions

9 games= 3 in division games + 6 rotating division games

12 rotating division teams divided by 6= 2 year conference rotation.

The SEC takes care of the rivalry games "as much as possible" with the divisional lineups. But any annual rivalry lost is going to be played every 2 years anyway, so it lessens the impact.

That sounds OK but I think SEC fans might as well give up on schemes that more or less guarantee the SEC two teams in the play-offs....though with 8 teams that might happen but with 4 teams in the current system, every other conference is working to keep the SEC down to one team.

The one rival that I miss more than any other school is Tennessee. I never have liked playing LSU every season. I loved playing UT in mid September. This was the official kick-off game for the SEC season.

I do agree that Auburn needs to move to the East if there is an expansion because geographically that is where they are supposed to be. We have not moved because there could be a rematch of the Iron Bowl back to back weeks, and the SEC doesn't want that to happen.

Archived