Article on Nick Saban and the story behind the UT job

Randman5000

There was a big article in the Sunday NYT about Nick Saban and the Texas job. It was a done deal but UT dropped the ball when they got a new AD. It seemed they never extended a formal offer but Sexton was shopping him to Texas and they had agreed to come rebuild the program. The crimson necks were sweating in Tuscalooser.

There was a big article in the Sunday NYT about Nick Saban and the Texas job. It was a done deal but UT dropped the ball when they got a new AD. It seemed they never extended a formal offer but Sexton was shopping him to Texas and they had agreed to come rebuild the program. The crimson necks were sweating in Tuscalooser.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/07/26/sports/ncaafootball/the-pursuit-of-nick-saban-alabama-vs-texas.html?referrer=&_r=0

'Hall and Tom Hicks talked to Sexton for 45 minutes. They say that Sexton told them that Saban felt “special pressure” and a lack of appreciation at Alabama. “Sexton said that the day after the championship, Alabama boosters were pounding the table, talking about a three-peat,” Hall says.'

I wonder if this is true or if it's just Sexton doing what Sexton does (i.e., buttering up the prospective school's representatives). Either scenario seems plausible.

I think the story is true. Heck, we all know how Sexton works. People should not go around saying "I'm 100% sure $aban isn't going anywhere." If something opens up and his wife terry likes the idea, little nicky will take it.

saban has a track record of not being a man of his word. He said he'd never leave Michigan State for LSU or any other school, but he did. He said he'd never leave LSU but he did. And finally. After 2 years of being with Miami (NFL), he said he wasn't looking around or talking to anyone about becoming UAT's next head football coach.

As was said back then... the UT boosters wanted Satan... the UT, AD did not.

Who could blame the AD?!

As was said back then... the UT boosters wanted Satan... the UT, AD did not.

Who could blame the AD?!

so true. If Charlie crashes and burns, we could see the rumor mill start back up again. We could then bet that UT is not going to lose their man.

Alabama fans better be hoping UT gets back to what it was and praying that coach strong wins next year and the year after that.

that being said..a couple of 7-6 or 8-5 seasons and they may fire the SOB

In the end, UT didn't came close to getting "their man", they systematically bombed the entire deal. Their boosters and big money donors where going behind the backs of the Board of Regents and DeLoss Dodds to cut a deal with Jimmy Sexton for Saban. Then all of the enfighting among the boosters, adminsitrative people, BOR's and the school president heated up quickly. Everyone trying to railroad each other and a contingent trying to stay loyal to Mack Brown. The whole deal was a dang fiasco that would easily eclipse the old AU Jetgate soap opera.

UT settled for Charlie Strong, and he is in over his head. He is absolutely horrible in the PR department, he has alienated many of Texas high school coaches due to his abrasive personality. Strong doesn't "fit" in at UT ~ their boosters and financial supporters like access to the team. They love the big time BBQ's and cocktail parties with their HC and his family. I doubt very seriously that Mr. & Mrs. Charlie Strong fit the social mold at Texas like the Brown's did.

Archived