Historical question

quietfan

Was just reading Wiki and whetting my pre-season appetite:

https://en.wikipedia...s_football_team

The 1913 Auburn Tigers football team represented Auburn University in the 1913 college football season. The team was coached by Mike Donahue and was undefeated at 8–0, outscoring opponents 224–13 .. .

Has ANY other team in major college football history ever achieved that level of dominance in scoring over a season (17.2 to 1 if my calculations are correct)? Has ANY other team in CF history held its opponents to a mere 13-point total over any 8-game sequence? That included six straight shutouts!

Historians? Statisticians?

I remember that season. We sure had a strong cut of the jibb. That same year they installed a new picture show at the stadium. It was at least 6 feet across. That same year I was down in my back. I sat by Susan b Anthony in class . those were the days

The 1913 Auburn Tigers football team represented Auburn University in the 1913 college football season. The team was coached by Mike Donahue and was undefeated at 8–0, outscoring opponents 224–13 .. .

Has ANY other team in major college football history ever achieved that level of dominance in scoring over a season (17.2 to 1 if my calculations are correct)? Has ANY other team in CF history held its opponents to a mere 13-point total over any 8-game sequence? That included six straight shutouts!

In the 1914 season they followed up going 8-0-1 and outscored their opponents 193-0. The tie was a scoreless tie vs. Georgia.

In the 1914 season they followed up going 8-0-1 and outscored their opponents 193-0. The tie was a scoreless tie vs. Georgia.

Tennessee also did this in 1939. Ironically, they too did not win the national championship.

Their 1938 team also out scored opponents 283-16 (17.69 to 1 ratio).

Georgia tech once beat Cumberland 222-0, so I'd guess their ratio that year would be pretty high.

Edit: it was 421- 20, or 21.05

Gave up only 14 points in two seasons? Not that's real DEfense. Any chance we can get that DC back....now there's a guy who could make the Auburn defense something to fear.

Just one question though....was this before or after the invention of the "forward pass" ?

The '13 and '14 teams are two very, very solid reasons why I do not agree with Jacobs's stance about not recognizing national championships. There are people out there that call those two (and others) champions. Other schools recognize those people's lists. I wish we would.

Tennessee also did this in 1939. Ironically, they too did not win the national championship.

Georgia tech once beat Cumberland 222-0, so I'd guess their ratio that year would be pretty high.

1899 Sewanee went undefeated, outscoring opponents 322-10 (32.2 to 1 ratio).

In a 6-day stretch, they played 5 games, shutting out Texas A&M, Texas, LSU, Tulane, and Ole Miss.

Auburn was the only team to score on Sewanee all season, just losing the game 11-10.

The '13 and '14 teams are two very, very solid reasons why I do not agree with Jacobs's stance about not recognizing national championships. There are people out there that call those two (and others) champions. Other schools recognize those people's lists. I wish we would.

Amen Brother! Not to start another Jay Jacobs bashing contest, but how can anyone say those championships were "Not Earned" as Jacobs put it?

Ask Golf, he was there.

Can't remember...............j/k of course that was when we paid players often players would play one year for API and the next they may be at Sewanee or UT

I once went on a recruiting trip to Cumberland. They were actually kinda proud of that "accomplishment". Weird.

I once went on a recruiting trip to Cumberland. They were actually kinda proud of that "accomplishment". Weird.

To be fair, they didn't actually have a football team. Heisman was pissed because Cumberland beat GT's baseball team 22-0 previously, so he wanted revenge. According to Wikipedia, neither team had a first down that was not a touchdown, and GT scored on nearly every play.

Amen Brother! Not to start another Jay Jacobs bashing contest, but how can anyone say those championships were "Not Earned" as Jacobs put it?

Yep and I've been trying to get the word out on those two years in my signature. ;D

The Auburn, TAMU and Tennessee teams have already been mentioned. The Michigan teams of the early 1900s had an incredible 5 year run, putting up some amazing stats in the process.

1901 Michigan:11-0-0, scored 550, against 00

1902 Michigan:11-0-0, scored 644, against 12

1903 Michigan:11-0-1, scored 565, against 06

1904 Michigan:10-0-0, scored 567, against 22

1905 Michigan:12-1-0, scored 495, against 02

Beat me to it re Michigan. One of the oddest things in college football is that Fielding Yost is not a household name. fyi,Yale was awarded the football national championship 26 times in the 38 years between 1872 - 1909. You go way back and it's almost a different sport though.

The Auburn, TAMU and Tennessee teams have already been mentioned. The Michigan teams of the early 1900s had an incredible 5 year run, putting up some amazing stats in the process.

1901 Michigan:11-0-0, scored 550, against 00

1902 Michigan:11-0-0, scored 644, against 12

1903 Michigan:11-0-1, scored 565, against 06

1904 Michigan:10-0-0, scored 567, against 22

1905 Michigan:12-1-0, scored 495, against 02

Wow.

Beat me to it re Michigan. One of the oddest things in college football is that Fielding Yost is not a household name. fyi,Yale was awarded the football national championship 26 times in the 38 years between 1872 - 1909. You go way back and it's almost a different sport though.

It WAS a completely different sport.

If you could go back and watch a football game from 1900, what would be the main differences you would notice?

1. No Forward pass. Throwing the ball forward was not allowed. Thus all plays were runs, against defenses stacked to stop it. Gaining 5 yards in 3 plays was difficult, and defense dominated the game. The “deep threat” to get the defenders off the line was the punt - quick kicks on 1st or 2nd down were common. Field position mattered enormously - it was easier to gain yards by exchanging punts than by running. Touchdowns were relatively rare - most scoring was via field goal.

2. Sideline plays. A runner out of bounds could put the ball in play by throwing it in (as in soccer), punting it in, touching the ball down inbounds and running a play immediately, or placing the ball down for a scrimmage play some distance from the sideline of the players’ choosing. These methods were gradually pared back until only the scrimmage option remained. Hash-marks were then added to define a standard position to place the ball.

Additionally, a loose ball out of bounds was not out of play. It belonged to whomever came up with it. This was sometimes a significant issue when fields were placed near fences or ravines and teams had to scramble to find and recover the ball. Even in stadiums, many fields were surrounded by cinder running tracks, which led to many cinder-burns and abrasions during games. Spectators got in on the act, too, stealing and hiding loose balls until they could be safely passed on to a player from their team.

3. No end zones. A touchdown was scored by touching the ball to the ground anywhere beyond the goal line. The area beyond the sidelines and the goal line was called “goal-in-touch” and was still in play.

The try after touchdown was a placekick taken at the goal anywhere on a line perpendicular to the goal line at the point where the ball was touched down. If scored outside the touch (side) lines, the scorer could also make a kick-out from the corner of the goal line and the sideline to a teammate in front of the goal, who could then place kick it from the point it was caught (the “fair catch free kick”). Players would usually cut toward the middle of the field and try to score under the goal posts in order to make the try after as easy as possible.

4. 5-yard rule (as of 1903). The quarterback was usually positioned on one knee, about a yard behind the center. Since he was difficult to see, it was deemed unfair for him to stand up and run with the ball straight into the line. In 1885, the quarterback had been barred from carrying the ball at all before he had passed the ball off to someone else. The rule was changed in 1903 to allow the quarterback to advance the ball past the line of scrimmage, so long as he was at least five yards away from the center. This necessitated drawing longitudinal lines the length of the field, five yards apart, so that the distance from center could be accurately judged - leaving the field with the appearance of a checkerboard.

This was an attempt to open up the game and get away from pounding the ball up the middle on every play. It produced the first triple option plays - the quarterback could hand the ball off to a charging fullback for a run through the line, or stand up and head for the end. Once he was five yards from the center, he could turn upfield or pitch the ball to a trailing halfback to continue around the end.

5. Limited substitution. A player removed from the game was generally done for the day. Substitutions were rare, and most teams had the same 11 players on the field the entire game. All players were expected to be able to rush, block, tackle, and kick, and the entire roster was often less than 20 players. The general offensive strategy was to run plays as fast as possible to tire the defense and make breakaways easier late in the game. Most games had more plays in a half than games today have in total. Football was less a game of skill and more of sheer endurance. Also, sideline coaching was prohibited. All plays were to be called by the players themselves, on the field. Communication with the sideline during play was penalized.

6. General violence. Football today is a violent game, but quite tame to how it was played then. Officiating was generally poor and kicking, gouging, punching, and other such behavior went on regularly at the line of scrimmage. There was no neutral zone and only 5 men on the line for most of the field. Players would line up with heads almost touching before the snap, making it difficult to see what they were doing with their arms and legs. Pushing and pulling the runner was routine, and blockers would link arms (or grab handles sewn into pants) to form an impenetrable wall. Many of the changes of 1905 were intended to improve officiating and reduce the gratuitous violence that so marked the game.

I pulled this excerpt from here. It's a really good read here if you have the time : http://forums.someth...hreadid=3601181

Yep and I've been trying to get the word out on those two years in my signature. ;D/>

completely agree. These 2 years not counting as recognized nattys (among others) is ridiculous.

Archived